The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old March 14, 2013, 04:58 PM   #1
IronRuger

Removing front sights?

I have a front sight that is not dovetail style Ill post a picture but is this something I can do without a gunsmith? I want to install a night sight or fiber optic
This is a Bersa Thunder 45 uc pro
Old March 15, 2013, 02:38 PM   #2
gothcopter

Replacing the sight wouldn't be terribly hard, but finding one may be next to impossible. It looks like Bersa is now making all their Thunder Pro models with front dovetails that accept SIG Sauer night sights.

www.bersa.com/forum/showthread.php/38-Bersa-Compatability-with-Night-Sights-for-all-Thunder-9PRO-40PRO-and-45PR

If you like the gun, your best bet long-term would be to get Bersa to fit a new slide to it. Then you just shop for SIG sights, which are much more readily available.
Old March 16, 2013, 06:43 PM   #3
Walt Sherrill

The solution may be as simple as having Bersa (or a local gunsmith) cut a dovetail on the front of the slide... You don't have to leave it a STAKED sight.

Installing a STAKED sight (and I'm assuming the Bersa sight is staked), takes know how or special staking tools; going the "new dovetail" route may be a better approach. I'm not familiar with the Bersa line of weapons, and don't know whether cutting a dovetail on THAT slide will cause a problem for the finish, or maybe just look wrong.

If the slide can be dovetailed, have whoever did the work install the night sights. You probably won't find a way to do it more cheaply. Installing night sights is easy if you have the proper tools, but the tritium vials can be easily broken if you're at all heavy-handed and not using the proper tools (i.e., a sight pusher).

That you're asking this question suggests you would be best served to have it done.

Last edited by Walt Sherrill; March 17, 2013 at 02:04 PM.
Old March 17, 2013, 12:39 PM   #4
OJ

The original factory sight on my Colt Government Model 45 looked a lot like yours - and I didn't like it -

I had an after market sight replaced by an incompetent gunsmith (discovered too late) he installed it backwards even after we discussed it in advance -

I found a good gunsmith (hard to do) and followed his advice to install the sights as a matched pair - his fee was nearly twice the cost of the sights from Brownells - but - both were well worth it.

Good as he is, even his first staking of the front sight came loose (as mine have in the past) but, he did it right and it's still in places after thousands of rounds.
NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER