The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 12, 2013, 07:30 PM   #1
ryanryan03

Taurus Polymer Public Defender vs. Springfield Sub-Compact 9mm

Just curious to get the boards opinion on the two. I can only buy one at a time and wondered which should be my next purchase. I like the idea that the Public Defender can shoot 410 shells, but I like that the XD Subcompact can hold more rounds and has an extended mag option for the range.

I know I am a newb and would appreciate anyone's positive input.
Old January 12, 2013, 09:19 PM   #2
MLeake

The Judge series has its fans, and the .410 defense rounds designed specifically for very short barrels seem to work fairly well. (The standard .410 that was available when the Judge first appeared was opimized for 18" or longer barrels, and was underwhelming in the Judge.)

That said, a lot of us see the Judge series more as a niche (anti-snake) or fun (skeet with a revolver?) handgun, and would recommend a more conventional pistol for your first handgun.

How you intend to use a handgun will impact your choice.

If possible, it is always a good idea to rent or borrow, first, to see how you like any given handgun.
Old January 12, 2013, 09:27 PM   #3
Kreyzhorse

As your first gun, Springfield has a much better reputation for producing quality firearms. They also have some of the best customer service in the industry. Taurus, has some of the worst. Addationally a lot of people don't take the Judge as a serious self defense gun.

I'd suggest going with the XD as your first gun and after some time with it, make the Taurus your second choice if you still have the desire for one.
Old January 12, 2013, 10:11 PM   #4
Cheapshooter

As a owner of both, and an often defender of the Judge I will agree that if this will be your first handgun the XD would be the best choice. You did say "next" purchase however, and what ever else you have, and your intended purpose for the new gun might alter that opinion.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old January 12, 2013, 10:14 PM   #5
jason_iowa

I would go with an xd in 45. I don't own one yet but Ill get one after I get off my revolver kick. I like the Public defender as well and its nice to have around the house and the yard.
Old January 12, 2013, 10:25 PM   #6
dorc-1

I own the Governor and SR40c. The Governor has it's advantages. I use it as my woods gun when hiking, and my SR40c is my CC. I load a couple of 410 #6 up front with follow up 255 hardcast. Both guns serve their purpose, but if you just want SD, go with the XD.
Old January 12, 2013, 10:44 PM   #7
ryanryan03

Sorry for the mislead. I own guns (listed in sig). This would be my next gun. I was thinking a HD gun that I can carry in car and conceal carry at times.

"Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other one thing." - Abraham Lincoln
Old January 12, 2013, 10:58 PM   #8
arizona98tj

A judge style revolver is rather bulky and heavy to CCW, in my opinion, unless you carry it off body (in your purse or a briefcase). On the other hand, a XD sub-compact is not a problem....I'm carrying one right now.
Old January 12, 2013, 11:17 PM   #9
PT-92

I REALLY wish that (like Smith) Taurus would chamber the Judge for .45acp already!

That said, IMO for HD I would recommend the revolver as it can fire plenty sufficient SD loads in either .45LC or shot-shells. However, if it were for both SD and CCW I would rec the semi.
Old January 13, 2013, 09:55 PM   #10
ryanryan03

Well I can't find either right now...

Do you think either will be affected by any potential gun law changes?

"Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other one thing." - Abraham Lincoln
Old January 13, 2013, 10:10 PM   #11
dorc-1

Don't see it. The XD will always have the 10 round option if it does happen, but I wouldn't worry.
Old January 13, 2013, 10:27 PM   #12
PT-92

Quote:
ryanryan03

Well I can't find either right now...

Do you think either will be affected by any potential gun law changes?
I doubt they're "currently" available, but I would suggest that you consider placing even a "backorder" for the extended Springfield mags in anticipation of a possible potential ban on high-cap mags. Just my $.02 as even if the ban doesn't materialize () there's no downside absent additional costs perhaps in the current chaotic environment.
Old January 13, 2013, 10:55 PM   #13
ff1911

+1 for the xd. With the 10-16 rd capacity and not as bulky as the judge, that is what I would go with. I have an XD9 subcomp and love it; my dad has a judge and doesn't dislike it, but has commented a few times on the bulk (and he is typically just in the woods, open carry.)
Old January 14, 2013, 07:40 AM   #14
Yung.gunr

No question, Springfield over Taurus any day of the week and twice on Sunday. And yes, I do and have owned a Taurus for bout two years now. I like it but still feel their QC is spotty enough to recommend almost anything over it. I also have a XD9 and love it. Another reason I would recommend the XD.

Good luck with your search.