The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old January 6, 2013, 12:34 PM   #1
drag71

S&W Security Special

Some years ago I bought this used S&W revolver.

The revolver has the written "Security Special" on the side.
I would like to have more information of this version of S&W because all of contacted persons did not know it.

The serial number is BRKxxx.

Thank you.

Max
Attached Images
File Type: jpg detail.jpg (41.1 KB, 127 views)
File Type: jpg SW357MG.jpg (94.8 KB, 125 views)
Old January 6, 2013, 01:09 PM   #2
natman

It appears to have been a version of a 686 made for distributor in Germany. Try this link for more information.
Old January 6, 2013, 01:33 PM   #3
drag71

Thank you , but I am looking for the detailed differences from the standard 686 and this version.

From web results that the "security special" is a customized 686 (CS-3?) but I would like to know the list of the improvements.

From the web: "After the CS-1 production run (both for Customs Service and over-run guns shipped to US distribution), the factory left this model in the "line" for future law enforcement orders. Think of the CS-3 as simply the same model as the CS-1 but a later engineering change. The basic CS-1 features are there - bead blast finish, round butt gripframe on both 3" and 4" models, and a pinned in front sight. The CS-3 also has the later - CNC machined - ejector star that appears to be a square cut (due to the CNC machining), as well - the front sight is wider - 1/8" instead of the CS-1 model's 1/10" wide blade.
Many CS-3 guns were shipped into US distribution, but the majority that I've seen were actually shipped to S&W's German distributor - Wischo - and marked on the sideplate as ".357 Security Special". These guns were 3" guns. They were apparently slow sellers and many were returned by Wischo and released into US distribution".

Last edited by drag71; January 6, 2013 at 01:55 PM.
Old January 6, 2013, 01:41 PM   #4
DPris
Member Emeritus

Never heard of it & it looks like a standard 686 that somebody had those words engraved on.
Denis
Old January 6, 2013, 05:19 PM   #5
OxyGuy

The engraving was done after the bead blasting. Looks like a jeweler did the engraving.
Old January 7, 2013, 03:14 AM   #6
drag71

OxyGuy, in your opinion was the written made in S&W factory or later?

Normally, where is located in the gun the mark "CS-3"?

Last edited by drag71; January 7, 2013 at 06:52 AM.
Old January 8, 2013, 11:03 AM   #7
Winchester_73

Quote:
OxyGuy, in your opinion was the written made in S&W factory or later?
I would say later (I see you asked oxyguy). Usually such markings are applied by the institution or group who bought the gun(s), not the factory. Judging by the pic, it does not appear to be something S&W would do, although its possible they could have.

Quote:
Normally, where is located in the gun the mark "CS-3"?
The "CS-3" will not be marked since the gun is a model 686. Any such model markings will be located in the yoke area, after you swing out the cylinder. It is the revealed portion in the frame underneath the rear portion of the barrel. I would guess it to be marked "MOD 686-5" or something to that effect, with the SN underneath of that. Thats how they marked usually.
Old January 8, 2013, 01:46 PM   #8
drag71

Winchester73 you are right... the CS-3 mark is exactly where you indicated (see picture).

The D1 picture is the "Wischo" mark, the German importer of the 686 Security Special revolvers (the Italian mark due to the import of this handgun in Italy is engraved near the grip with the italian identification number - 3324).

The D4 mark is the CS-3 mark to indentify the customization made in S&W plant by Custom Service.

The D3 mark? What's? The "S"?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg d1-wischo_mark.jpg (146.9 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg D4-CS3_SW_mark.jpg (100.3 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg D3-unknow.jpg (100.7 KB, 28 views)

Last edited by drag71; January 8, 2013 at 02:58 PM.
Old January 9, 2013, 08:35 AM   #9
Winchester_73

Quote:
Winchester73 you are right... the CS-3 mark is exactly where you indicated (see picture).
Actually I was wrong, as I did not expect it to be marked "CS-3" I know some of the 686 variants are referred to as "CS" with a number, but in the photos, it looked like a plain 686 to me.

Quote:
The D3 mark? What's? The "S"?
If you're asking about the mark on the crane, in your last photo, its looks to be an assembly mark from the factory which means little to us.