The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old December 2, 2012, 05:24 PM   #1
Sinkhole

Marlin 336 for X-Mas

Hello all. So my first Marlin, well, lever gun, will be arriving for X-mas. I grew up just a few miles from the No. Haven Marlin factory and always want one but never got around to picking one up. So today I went down to my LGS to pickup a gift card for my dad. While I was there I found a used 336, in 30-30, with a Marlin scope, manufactured in 2003 at the No. Haven factory for $299. It almost walked away while I was texting my wife about it. But I grabbed it as soon as the other guy put it back down. He then gave my a look like what the hell. So it went on hold for me and the wife agreed to buy it for me for X-Mas. It's in really good shape and just needs a little cleaning. No scratches, No dents in the wood. Just a little dirty. I am excited to finally own a 336 and one manufactured in No. Haven none the less. Pics will follow after I pic it up.

Last edited by Sinkhole; December 2, 2012 at 09:48 PM.
Old December 2, 2012, 05:44 PM   #2
Axelwik

I just picked up a brand-new Remington/Marlin 336 today. It looks okay and it will probably be fine (heard they had some quality control issues when Remington took over).

Fit and finish is certainly not the same as my pre-Remington Marlins, but as long as it functions it will make a good "truck gun."
Old December 2, 2012, 05:49 PM   #3
2damnold4this

Congrats. I hope each of you get many years of good service from your rifles.
Old December 2, 2012, 11:26 PM   #4
alex0535

I'm sure you will want to shoot it when you get it. But I really suggest taking it apart and give it a thorough cleaning.

It will give you a better understanding and appreciation of how your rifle operates and your rifle will function better. Its an elegant design.

You should at least know how to remove the bolt because it makes routine cleaning so much easier.

I found this very helpful
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTO4M5jOk1c
Old December 3, 2012, 08:06 AM   #5
Jack O'Conner

30-30 is much more than a short range "brush gun." Shots up to 175 yards or so will topple deer with power to spare.

Jack

Old December 3, 2012, 10:42 AM   #6
stu925

I'm sure you will enjoy that rifle, the Marlin 336 is a lot of fun to shoot and the .30 WCF is a great NE woods cartridge. I too almost picked up a 336 this weekend, a local dealer has a 1948 336A in .30-30 in pretty nice shape for $250. If I'd have had the cash on hand I'd have grabbed it and put it right next to my 336 in .35 Rem. You've got the advantage with the .30-30 since ammo is available anywhere ammo is sold and it's about $10 a box cheaper than ammo for my .35 Rem which I need to reload if I want to shoot it.

Stu