The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old November 2, 2012, 11:05 PM   #1
zbones6

First AR?

hey guys, im interested in buying an AR-15, but i don't know what im looking for. I've never owned, or even shot an AR before, i only have mil-surp rifles. What is a good brand? What should i avoid? I'll probably buy used, but i need some direction. Thanks in advance.
Old November 2, 2012, 11:20 PM   #2
Creeper

Quote:
I'll probably buy used, but i need some direction.
If that's the case, perhaps you should buy from a LGS or private party where you can inspect and perhaps even shoot the gun. This is even more important if the gun has been assembled by the owner or seller from parts and is not a complete "brand" gun... i.e. lower is one brand, upper (which is seldom marked) is another, barrel yet another and so on. Buyer beware.

Safe bets for a guy on a budget are new guns being sold at discount prices from your local Walmart, Fred Meyer, what ever big box you got... etc etc. New, name brand rifles can frequently be had for $750 and less. At least you get a warranty from the Mfg.

You want a barrel marked .223/5.56 NATO or 5.56 NATO or .223 Wylde... not just .223 Rem. For twist rate a 1:7 has the broadest range of use, while a 1:8 or 1:9 will have slightly less heavy bullet capabilities. If heavy bullets aren't your thing, then 1:9 is nice.

I'm not going to start rattling off brands... there are too many good ones to choose from, especially entry level guns. A removable carry handle or flat top is the preferred upper. Barrel length and stock type are your call.

C
Old November 3, 2012, 01:16 AM   #3
djcantr

What's your budget? What's the intended purpose of the rifle?
Old November 3, 2012, 03:57 AM   #4
Metal god

People come on here all the time and ask this very question so here are a few threads I found for you to take a look at . They ask pretty much the same questions and you should find the answer your looking for .

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=498501

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=502931

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=500261

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=501059

This is just few that cover everything from high end to low end as well as building your own and staying compliant with your states laws . you can always do your own search to find other threads that can answer your questions on new AR buying .

As for buying used I wouldn't . your not going to save that much money . there are alot of good ARs out there right now for well under $1,000 . some starting at $599 . The M&P sprot is one

PSA
smith & wesson M&P sport
Del-Ton
Bushmaster

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .

Last edited by Metal god; November 3, 2012 at 04:05 AM.
Old November 3, 2012, 07:08 AM   #5
hasbro_fan

Buy a complete one is good for your first. If you have friends with tools, you can build the lower and /or upper to save a little or to set it how you want.
Old November 3, 2012, 07:32 AM   #6
austinjunks

If you want custom but don't feel like building it go to ranier arms you buy parts and they assemble it for little to no money

Sent from my HTC_Amaze_4G using Tapatalk 2
Old November 3, 2012, 06:02 PM   #7
Nathan

I would buy a complete lower, complete upper with bolt carrier group.
Old November 3, 2012, 07:40 PM   #8
CharlieDeltaJuliet

Now this is true for MOST but not all. The "black rifles" quickly become an addiction..lol. Buy the best that you can afford, but do your homework. Find the options (hand-guard length,barrel type & length, piston or DI..etc) you want and need. I have seen too many buy one then regret that they didn't get a mid length or quad rail equipped..

Listen to these guys on the forum, they know what they are talking about. Congratulations on your decision. I am sure it will be one you are glad you made.
..." - Thomas Jefferson

Tags
ar-15 , assault rifle , m16