The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old January 29, 2012, 11:43 AM   #1
claws

Wax Bullet questions

I'd like to try my hand at cowboy fast draw and I'd like to be able to practice the sport in my garage. I've looked at the CFDA site and some others, but I have some questions. Do the 45 Colt wax bullets with the special cases designed for shotgun primers allow for a full cylinder to be used or must these cartridges be loaded and shot one at a time to avoid cylinder lock up due to primer back out? Also, what sort of inexpensive back stop should I use? I don't want to dent or penetrate my garage walls or garage door and I don't want wax bullets bouncing off my garaged sports car. And finally, what is the best way to clean out wax build up in the barrel and cylinder throats of my New Vaquero?

Thanks, Kim
Old January 29, 2012, 11:46 AM   #2
kwhi43

I got a bunch I would sell. Cases and the red bullets and primers.
Old January 29, 2012, 12:10 PM   #3
claws

I might be interested, kwh. I've got to see if setting up a "range" in my garage is doable first. You can PM me with details of what you have and how much you want for them. Would the primers have to be sent with the HAZMAT fees and such?
Old January 29, 2012, 10:01 PM   #4
kwhi43

PM Sent
Old January 30, 2012, 12:27 AM   #5
denster

Claws

Garage makes a good range. Get some carpeting for a backstop. I draped a double over a rod and let it hang loose. The wax bullets just drop to the floor after they hit. It's a real hoot. You can load five just like real cartridges no problems.
Old January 30, 2012, 10:43 AM   #6
claws

Thanks denster.

Do the shotgun primers make enough noise to annoy the neighbors? I don't want the police showing up at my door. What do you use to clean the wax out of the barrel?

Thanks, Kim
Old January 30, 2012, 03:10 PM   #7
kwhi43

Here is the link on the wax bullets and cases that I have for sale.
http://www.waxbullet.com/
Old January 30, 2012, 06:51 PM   #8
denster

Claws

Depend on how close your neighbors are. Keep the garage door down and you shouldn't have a problem. As to cleaning I give the barrel a good dry brushing with a bronze spiral brush. Follow that with a few solvent saoked patches then dry. That pretty well takes care of it.
Old January 30, 2012, 07:04 PM   #9
claws

Thanks for all the info, denster. I think I'll give it a go. I've got some old carpet remnants laying around for a back stop and I'm getting some wax bullets, cases, and primers from a guy on the forum.

Kim
Old February 2, 2012, 11:16 AM   #10
Ziggy925

Use RIO primers as they are "flatter" and tend to get stuck less than other brands. Fit right into the modified shells for CFD. The noise a primer and wax bullets makes is about the same as a loud cap gun. I've fired quite a few into the snow in front of my house and nobody came out or complained.

As for sticking cylinders it happens. I've been told many shooters empty the spent round after each shot. Some modify the gun, but I would definitely try the RIO's before doing anything drastic.
Old February 3, 2012, 01:33 PM   #11
claws

Thanks, Ziggy. I've got a thousand RIOs on the way. I'll be trying to make a backstop today.
Old February 3, 2012, 04:07 PM   #12
Hawg

Get a piece of carpet to stand on so your gun doesn't fall on a concrete floor.
Old February 6, 2012, 09:14 PM   #13
claws

That's a great piece of advice, Hawg.

Thanks, Kim.