The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old July 10, 2008, 10:42 PM   #1
zenmtnman

Tikka Hunter?

Hey all, I spent a good deal of time drooling over the selection of firearms at Gander Mountain today, and as far as price, fit and finish, the Tikka Hunter seems it just might be my next rifle. I leaning toward 270, 30-06 or 300 win mag for caliber (if I go 30-06 it can share with the m1 garand I want to buy in the future). Does anyone have any experience with this fine rifle, and what caliber might it be? Any exceptional pluses or minuses (apart from expensive additional mags)?
Thanks in advance!
(I must state that I loved shooting my buddies Remmy 700 XCR in 300 win mag the other day at the range, but I don't know if I like it $350 more than the Tikka)
Old July 10, 2008, 11:13 PM   #2
JP Sarte

I can't tell you the last time I was so taken with a gun. What a shooter. Mine is in .270 Win and it shoots clover leafs all day. Not just in my hands but with the two friends I let shoot it as well. I put a Bushnell Elite 3200 on top and it is now my go to gun.

JP
Old July 10, 2008, 11:14 PM   #3
sholling

I own a couple of Tikka T3s, a Lite and a Super Varmint. I bought the light in 300WM and they weigh so little that I suggest that if you buy it in 300WM that you pick your scope based on eye relief and invest in a Limbsaver recoil pad. The action is slick and they trigger adjustable and sweet. My 300WM is a sub MOA rifle. If anything my Varmint is more accurate.

All Tikka T3s are long action so there is no reason to pick a short cartridge over a long one. The only thing is that a full power commercial hunting 30-06 round has no business being fired from an M1 Garand. The M1 will self destruct in no time. Stick with mil-surplus and mild hand loads for the Garand.

What may sway your opinion of what caliber to get is the price of ammo. Take a drive to Walmart and price 30-06 vs 300WM.
Old July 10, 2008, 11:18 PM   #4
Huntergirl

I got a Tikka Hunter. I've had Remingtons. No contest. Get the Tikka. More likely will get sub MOA with factory loads. Trust me on this. Mines a 30-06, and is my favorite elk rifle, ever.
Old July 11, 2008, 07:06 AM   #5
Alleykat

I'd have to opine that the only people who besmirch Tikkas are people who've never actually fired one. They're probably the finest rifles, for the money, available in the U.S. market.
Old July 11, 2008, 07:36 AM   #6
billindenver

I have a T3 lite in 30-06 and I don't mind saying I have a real thing for that rifle. The A-bolt never comes out of the safe anymore, winchester is feeling neglected too. There is something really special about the Tikkas. I've often considered emptying my safe completely and replacing all calibers with Tikkas.
Old July 11, 2008, 08:59 AM   #7
zenmtnman

Thanks JP, Sholling, Hunter Girl, AlleyKat, and Bill...all great advice. I think I'm sold. =) Just gotta wait to the birthday to go out and get one (Next week)

Sholling, the plan was to switch to hand loading soon, as a buddy of mine wants to teach me, so I'd be able to use the same brass to create my own loads for both. I'm sorry I wasn't clearer on that when I mentioned similar ammo type, I should have said "similar casings", it would have been more accurate.
Thank you all again...I'll report back once I get it, and get it to the range.
=)
Old July 11, 2008, 03:24 PM   #8
ammoeater

Count me in as a happy Tikka owner. I have a M595 Whitetail Hunter in .308 that I will never part with. Best rifle for the money I have ever bought.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, - go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!
Samuel Adams
Philadelphia Statehouse
1 August 1776
Old July 11, 2008, 04:02 PM   #9
Evan Thomas

Hello, all -- I'm a new member, finally signed up after lurking for a while. I took up shooting long guns again a couple of years ago, after many, many years off (my father taught me to shoot at age 9-10, then we had to stop a couple of years later). The Tikka T3 in .270 was the second rifle I bought (after that .22 yer sposta get), and I can't say enough good things about it. The crisp trigger was what sold me on it (that, and it's pretty ) -- then I found I could shoot it a lot better than I was expecting to. It's still way more accurate than I am, but I sure don't embarrass myself with it. I love it.

Thanks for this great forum.
Old July 11, 2008, 08:24 PM   #10
jmr40

Don't tell the folks at Tikka this but at $200 more I would still buy one. I've owned dozens of rifles in my life and have 10 centerfire bolt rifles at the present time. Bought my first Tikka 4 years ago and a second one a couple of months ago. The other 8 have not been out of the safe very much lately. In fact 3 of them are currently for sale.
Old July 12, 2008, 12:15 AM   #11
Sidetracked

I pulled a Browing A-bolt off layaway, including the rediculous $50 restocking fee, to replace it with a Tikka.

They're fine rifles and won't do you wrong. My personal preference is for .270 Win., but I am very confident with the cartridge and don't know what your shooting habits are.

Please, please, do not buy it from Gander Mountain, though. Unless they can beat the price of everyone else around, find another dealer. The Gander Mountains I have been in had rediculous markups on firearms. (Up to 100% over MSRP for common weapons.) Be sure to shop around.
Old August 9, 2008, 04:52 AM   #12
BBush

Sidetracked is correct, Gander Mountain's markup is a lot more than most dealers. I would go to Gander to pick out what I wanted and then go to your local dealer and have them order it if they don't have it in stock. I think that you will probably be able to save yourself some money in the process.
Old August 9, 2008, 08:57 AM   #13
stevelyn

I just got my Tikka. It is everything people said it was. Slick bolt, sweet trigger and amazing accuracy for an out-of-the-box rifle. Even friends who heft it comment that it's a perfect sheep rifle.

I'm still trying to fine tune it a bit, but I had to give it a rest for a day or two.
Those 180 grain Federal High Energy loads start tenderizing meat after a dozen rounds or so off the bench.

A Limbsaver is definitely on the agenda after moose season.

East Moose. Wear Wolf.
Old August 9, 2008, 12:24 PM   #14
PAHOGHUNTER

Accurate

TIKKA T-3 LITE in .223 is the most accurate out of the box rifle I have ever owned. I also picked up a used T-3 HUNTER in 243, another great shooting rifle.
Old August 9, 2008, 01:32 PM   #15
Unregistered

I have a Tikka in 308, and my only regret is that I find the idea of a short action cartridge in a long action rifle to be cheesy. I wish I had gotten a 30-06.
Old August 22, 2008, 08:19 AM   #16
cnjaxx

I just picked up a T3 in 270 WSM, and topped it with an Elite 3200. It is without a shadow of a doubt, one of the finest rifles that I ever fired, at any price. Time will tell how well it stands up.

Tags
270 , 30-06 , 300 , hunter , tikka