The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old October 7, 2005, 10:46 AM   #1
Wingbone

Commemorative Single Action

Hello again guys,
I have a commemorative (I think) .44 mag single action. I feel its a commemorative because on the butt of the revolver its says "We The People 1776-1976". Its stamped in old english just like the constitution. On the side of the barrell it says "VIRGINIAN DRAGOON CAL 44 MAG". On top of the barrell it says "INTERARMS ALEXANDIA, VIRGINIA, USA". The frame is case hardened, the barrell and cylinder is polished blue. It has an adjustable rear sight so its not an exact replica. Anyone have any ideas about this gun? Thanks all,
Ken
Old October 7, 2005, 10:39 PM   #2
Jbar4Ranch

The Interarms Virginian Dragoons were a nice single action, but not a commemorative.

Here's a quote from: http://www.singleactions.com/VADragoons.pdf
Quote:
Most Dragoons were inscribed with either “Don’t Tread On Me” with snake logo or the untranslated Virginia state motto “Sic Semper Tyrannis “. The former was used on the earlier guns, circa 1976 to 1978. At least three other inscriptions exist though to include: 1) “We the People 1776 – 1976”, 2) “Yorktown 1781 – 1981”, and 3) “Liberty Forever” (see variants). Cylinder dots were also drilled to the left and right of one bore to indicate the empty chamber. It was a small enhancement, but a useful one at that.
I purchased mine for $155.00 new back around 1981 or so. It's a stainless, 8 3/8" barrelled .44 mag with "Yorktown 1781-1981" inscribed on the butt. It was stolen out of my locked car at work here many years ago and recovered about six weeks later when some yahoo tried to pawn it in Denver.

SASS 47015
Old October 8, 2005, 08:19 AM   #3
Wingbone

Thanks for the info Jbar!