The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 6, 2012, 11:09 PM   #1
valleyforge.1777

For reloading .223, is it Small Rifle Primers OR Small Rifle MAGNUM Primers?

For reloading .223, is it Small Rifle Primers OR Small Rifle MAGNUM Primers?

Lyman 49 says SRP
Lee says SRP

I've seen some posts on forums that say that the primer cup is too thin on SRP for .223/5.56 rifles that are military spec and that for those rifles one must use SRMP. But everyone always proclaims to the heavens that one should "read your loading manual and follow what the manual says..."

I will be reloading for AR-15 rifles, chamber, throat, and neck checked and verified as 5.56. I will be using once fired .223 brass. I will be using Montana Gold 55 gr FMJ bullets and Winchester 748 powder.
So, which is it? SRP or SRMP ?

Thanks!

As an aside, I wonder if some of the primer cup piercing that has been described with SRP and mil spec AR-15's is actually due to the use of 5.56 brass in chambers that are marked "223/5.56" but are not really true to that marking. Many manufacturers use barrels that are marked capable of handling 5.56 but in reality the chamber is actually just 223. Some interesting links regarding this issue of falsely labeled "5.56" barrels can be found here:

http://www.gundigest.com/ammunition-...es/223-vs-5-56

and here:

http://www.m-guns.com/tools.php
(When you get to that page, click on ".223/5.56? Gage" and "5.56 Reamer" for more info)
Old November 6, 2012, 11:57 PM   #2
Adamantium

As far as being able to ignite the powder consistently, all you need is SRP. For ARs SRMP is recommended for the very reasons you are already aware of. Many people ignore that, use SRP, and have never had a slam fire. A few people have had slam fires though. Some people believe that not fully seating primers can add to the problem (or even cause it) so it is not a cut and dry issue.

My thoughts are if your AR will set off a SRMP, which every AR should, then use those for an added safety measure. Some people will say it isn't necessary but nobody is going to say it is less safe than using SRP, all things being equal.
Old November 7, 2012, 10:46 AM   #3
chris in va

...and, the CCI SRP and SPM are the same thing per a call to the company.
Old November 7, 2012, 01:57 PM   #4
Jimro

You are using a ball powder, use the small rifle magnum primer when you do your load workup.

Jimro
Old November 8, 2012, 09:18 AM   #5
oldpapps

valleyforge.1777,

So many things to address:

Primers - I use and always have used CCI Standard primers in all small rifle applications, never any problems or concerns. This may be because I shoot my loads. For large rifle primers, I have used CCI LR Mags in heavy belted mag cases (7MM Rem Mag, 375 H&H Mag types) but then only with heavy loads. I have had no problems but took note when seeing very light 'touches' on the primers of rounds that had been loaded in my M1A, nothing even close to what is needed to fire the primer.

If you have concerns, just get the 'Mag' rated primers or those with 'Mil' spec accreditation. The price difference is minimal.

The Gun Digest link is very informing and well done. But it is history of why and how. As you have posted your question in a 'Handloading, Reloading' Forum, I must hope that you are or plan to become a self-loader for your selected weapon/s. With this in mind, I suggest that you load for your weapon/s, always cognitive of the safety limits and functional limits. Search out and find 'THAT' loading combination that best suites you and your weapon/s.

I load for several .223/5.56 weapons and find no one loading that is best for more than one weapon. Oh, with few exceptions, they will function but are far less than optimal. Example; heavier (longer) bullets being used in my Rem 600 with a 1 in 14 twist. I have found that my AR-180 with 1 in 12 twist just can not stabilize 62gr mil pull bullets (the Rem 600 does?). My pet loads for the Rem 600 shoot well in my 20in HB but not as well as the loading that was worked up for it. Load for the weapon.

Primers are one time consumables, pick the one/s you feel safe with and work up a load with them. (Note, when I say 'work up a load', that doesn't dictate ever increasing velocities or larger amounts of powder. It means finding 'THAT' loading that meets my requirements and is safe.)

Enjoy and be safe,

OSOK

PS:
I use 748 ball type powder a great deal and have not found any need to use 'Mag' primers, clean and consistent. But then I'm too old to go out hunting in 20 below temps anymore.

OSOK
Old November 8, 2012, 09:26 AM   #6
hooligan1

We use the CCI 400 srp, with Winchester 748, and Varget. My #2 son has worked up some reall nice loads for his Handi-Rifle in .223 rem.
Old November 8, 2012, 03:22 PM   #7
Strafer Gott

Speer recommends small rifle magnum primers for H335. Probably burns a little cleaner when using a ball powder, never a bad thing in an AR.
Old November 8, 2012, 04:58 PM   #8
243winxb

SRMP
Old November 8, 2012, 11:46 PM   #9
jdillon

I use CCI 450 primers in my AR when using H335 powder.
Old November 9, 2012, 05:03 AM   #10
DebbiePerkins

I am using .223 from many years and I don't think there are any special tricks to reloading the .223 Remington cartridge. I use the same methods and tools we use for other centerfire cartridges.
Old November 9, 2012, 05:52 AM   #11
rebs

I have worked up some very accurate loads with H335 for my AR and use CCI #400 primers without a problem.
Old November 9, 2012, 02:38 PM   #12
Exibar

Magnum primers are just a bit thicker cup, and a slightly hotter load correct?

Widners has the magnums for a great price, so now would be the time to stock up on them ;-)

Mike B
Old November 9, 2012, 03:08 PM   #13
4runnerman

Go with CCI-BR4's and be done
Old November 9, 2012, 04:55 PM   #14
armoredman

I use Remington 7.5 Bench Rest primers in 5.56mm/.223 on the advice of a few reloaders, and I've had no problems whatsoever out of my 5.56mm SA vz-58 rifle.
Old November 9, 2012, 06:59 PM   #15
4runnerman

Armoredman-- That is what i was using too. Try BR4's. Do everything the same switching only to BR4's. I used the same recipie and tried BR4's,Man what a difference it made. Everything just came together from just that.
If ya get a shot at it--Try it once and see what happens for you
Old November 9, 2012, 07:12 PM   #16
scsov509

Quote:
As far as being able to ignite the powder consistently, all you need is SRP. For ARs SRMP is recommended for the very reasons you are already aware of. Many people ignore that, use SRP, and have never had a slam fire. A few people have had slam fires though. Some people believe that not fully seating primers can add to the problem (or even cause it) so it is not a cut and dry issue.
I encountered slam-fire problems when I first started using CCI SRP's in my AR. Switched to magnums many years back and haven't experienced it since. So at least in my case it was a cut and dry issue, YMMV.
Old November 10, 2012, 12:28 AM   #17
armoredman

OK, but I usually have to order in since I live in the middle of nowhere. I'll try to get a run up into town next month and see if Sportsman's Warehouse has them in stock.
Old November 11, 2012, 11:51 AM   #18
Colorado308shooter

I shoot a Mini-14 and I've been using CCI 400's from the get-go. I've never had an issue.