The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 20, 2014, 12:57 AM   #1
Varekai

Can't decide on which handgun to get

Hello all, new here and registered to ask a question. I know the general response is to handle the guns and see how they feel, but not sure if the gun store I visit will have these, plus it's nice to get some opinons and other suggestions. This coming tax return I plan on getting my first handgun. I want to get one nice handgun, I don't plan on carrying it everywhere so not looking for a compact. I want it for home defense and some light range shooting. I was thinking .40 cal, .45 cal I feel is too big and unecessary and 9mm being so popular I've heard ammo is going to be harder to come by because the amount being purchased. So right now for .40 cal handgun my choices are HK P30L, Sig Saur p226 Tactical Operations or P229 Enchanced Elite (probably go with 229 because it's a bit cheaper. The HK was reccomended by my a co workers son who own's a gun shop some ways away from me, however my co worker himself says he doesn't much care for polymer pistols, which I believe the HK is. So I was looking for some members to help me decide between the Sig and HK or if they have any other opinions. One of my other reasons for these two is the looks (I know function>form, but I do so like a good looking gun
Old January 20, 2014, 01:08 AM   #2
40CalGuy

neither sig nor HK makes garbage. that being said, a USPv1 in .40can be had slightly used on gunbroker.com for half of the new retail. sig's won't likely see that price differential between new and used. a p229 in .40 will run you $700-800 used most days, and $1k new (roughly). What about a CZ 75 in .40?

you haven't given us a budget or any requirements, either.
Old January 20, 2014, 01:10 AM   #3
Cirdan

Get a 9mm. Because it's more popular, you'll have an easier time getting ammo for it. There's some question about the future of the 40. With modern ammo, a 124 grain 9mm +p JHP will do fine as a self-defense load. On the other hand, the market is flooded with used 40's right now.

Before you go to a store, look for a range that offers rental guns. You can try different ones out before you buy. There's really nothing worse than spending a lot of money and getting something you don't like to shoot.

Most of the guns you mentioned are available in 9 mm as well. In fact, the 40 was developed because you could (generally) fit it in a 9mm frame.

The guns you mentioned are all good quality, and priced accordingly. You might want to look at something more affordable like a Glock or Beretta. Still good quality. Do your research on the internet, several guns that "sound" American are actually made in other countries. "Rock Island," for example, is actually Armscor, a Phillipines company (with a good rep).

If you hang around these gun boards you will notice some never-ending fights over things like:
  • Caliber
  • Polymer vs. Metal frames
  • Glocks vs. non-Glocks
  • 1911s vs. everything else
Don't take it too seriously.
Old January 20, 2014, 01:11 AM   #4
SHE3PDOG

You really aren't going to go wrong with function with any of the guns you mentioned. If you have not held any of these guns yet, do so; shoot them if you can. I would strongly recommend that you go into the gun store/shooting range with an open mind. You may find that you end up shooting the gun that you thought you weren't going to like as if it were built for you. Choose the gun that feels best in your hands and points straight for you.

This is completely my opinion: I like HKs...I really like Sigs.

Marine, NRA member, SAF Defender's Club member, and constitutionally protected keeper and bearer of firearms
Old January 20, 2014, 01:12 AM   #5
Varekai

Not sure what you mean by requirements, but budget is pretty much 1,000. I really don't want to go over that so I have money left over for ammunition and holster. Never heard of a CZ 75 tho I have heard of the new CZ P-07 Duty. I will look up the 75. I really don't know much about handguns so I like being told of other ones to check out and put in consideration. On a note of polymer, do they wear out overtime? Is there a reason why it seems polymer pistols are disliked?
Old January 20, 2014, 01:15 AM   #6
Varekai

The only gun I've held is the P226, and honestly it felt a bit big in the hand, which is a reason I was thinking of the p229, for some reason it felt slimmer. As far as american guns, that doesn't matter to me. I don't care where it's made as long as it's a great gun.
Old January 20, 2014, 01:18 AM   #7
DannyB1954

Those are all fine weapons, but it does come down to what you want not what we like. The first rule is get what you shoot well. I would rather be a crack shot with a .22lr than someone with a 454 that can't hit a target.
I think the ammo hoarders are starting to let up on their sales, so ammo is coming back on the shelves where I live anyway. When it comes to economics, the 9mm will be hard to beat as far as cost per round.

A good place to research guns is Youtube.
Old January 20, 2014, 01:24 AM   #8
SHE3PDOG

Quote:
On a note of polymer, do they wear out overtime? Is there a reason why it seems polymer pistols are disliked?
If you take care of it, almost any handgun you buy will will out last you with normal use. While I'm sure there are plenty of reasons why people dislike polymer, it is all mostly just opinionated.

If you are open for suggestions though even if you just want to look:
CZ 75
Glock 22/35 (35 is longer)
Sig 2022 (polymer and cheaper than the 229/226)
Springfield XD
FNX-40

Marine, NRA member, SAF Defender's Club member, and constitutionally protected keeper and bearer of firearms
Old January 20, 2014, 01:34 AM   #9
AndyWest

Someone has to say it...

Maybe not what you want to hear, but I'd recommend getting a 22 for your first handgun. Lightweight, super cheap to train with. And you'll want at LEAST one 22 for the rest of your life. While you're evaluating other guns, your 22 will still go BANG in the night
Old January 20, 2014, 01:37 AM   #10
Varekai

The sig 2022 is actually one of the guns I held at a shop, felt great in the hand. Only dismissed it because I was pushed away from polymer (but the guy may have wanted to make a bigger sale too on the 226 even tho I told him I wasn't buying till tax return) I will look in the CZ 75, but if that's good what about the CZ p-07 duty, thats supposed to be nice as well right? Ill look into the other ones you mentioned as well.
Old January 20, 2014, 01:40 AM   #11
LockedBreech

The advice to buy a 9mm because 9mm is popular and more available becomes paradoxical in ammo rushes. During this last panic, I could regularly buy .40, whereas 9mm was nearly impossible to find for months. On 3-4 occasions, I'd go with a friend to grab ammo for the range and we'd only end up shooting my .40 and his .45. His 9mm had to wait until the panic was over.

It's still a very popular and abundant round, but only so long as you're sure to stock up when things are calm.
Old January 20, 2014, 01:50 AM   #12
SHE3PDOG

Quote:
The sig 2022 is actually one of the guns I held at a shop, felt great in the hand. Only dismissed it because I was pushed away from polymer (but the guy may have wanted to make a bigger sale too on the 226 even tho I told him I wasn't buying till tax return) I will look in the CZ 75, but if that's good what about the CZ p-07 duty, thats supposed to be nice as well right? Ill look into the other ones you mentioned as well.
I know I'm just some guy on the internet, but taking advice from someone trying to sell you something is not normally the best thing to do. If the Sig 2022 felt great in your hand, I'd encourage you to put it on your "short list" of guns you are considering.

I've never shot the P-07 or known someone that owned it, so I can't speak for or against it. It couldn't hurt to check it out though. The more guns you try, the better your eventual choice will be.

Old January 20, 2014, 02:01 AM   #13
Varekai

I don't take much advice from salesman, that's why I came here.

As far as the .22 suggested earlier, I have fired a couple 22's before and I didn't like it. They both felt like toys to me, very light and no kick. Just felt too cheap. I don't intend on getting more than one handgun, that's why I don't want a 22 now and something later.
Old January 20, 2014, 03:18 AM   #14
SocialAnarchist

If you are looking to shoot, and shoot alot, then go with either a .40 or a .45. You can find that almost everywhere here, whereas of late 9mm has become almost as scarce as .22lr.
Old January 20, 2014, 03:25 AM   #15
chris in va

The P07 isn't that great. If you want a really good, all-round pistol, either the Sig 229 mentioned or a CZ P01. Both are very solid performers and light enough not to be a burden for concealed carry.

I highly recommend you shoot a few first. Your first handgun won't be your last.
Old January 20, 2014, 09:28 AM   #16
sigp226wgerman

SIG P226
Old January 20, 2014, 09:45 AM   #17
kcub

I own a CZ P7 and several HK's and a few Sigs.

I love the way the P30 fits my hand. It has several grip inserts to customize the feel. Can't go wrong with the P30.
Old January 20, 2014, 11:16 AM   #18
Varekai

Thanks, I will go to a range probably over the weekend to shoot a 9mm and .40 and see how I like between them.
Old January 20, 2014, 11:26 AM   #19
Tactical Jackalope

Post #3 and SIG P226
Old January 20, 2014, 11:39 AM   #20
Fugit1ve Wizard

500-550 for a brand spankin' new Glock OTD...then you'll have the remaining 450-500 for ammo/accessories
Old January 20, 2014, 11:50 AM   #21
mrdaputer

Varekai That is a good idea to test them out. Never be in a hurry to buy a gun. Once you know which cal you want then you can feel up a few different makers maybe even shoot them.
Old January 20, 2014, 11:56 AM   #22
Kleab

If you want to avoid polymer, CZ makes two 75s that you would love. The P-01 is a 9mm and the P-06 is a .40 S&W.

My every day carry gun is the P-01 and I absolutely love it! It's one of those guns that really fits in your hand just right.

The P-01 and the P-06 are the exact same gun, just different calibers. It's small enough to carry concealed, but still a nice enough size to be a comfortable range gun as well.

If you don't care about carrying concealed, all of the CZ 75 full size models are fantastic as well. I have a 75 BD Police in 9mm that is a blast to shoot.
"We believe that all men are justified in defending themselves, their friends, and property, and the government, from the unlawful assaults and encroachments of all persons in times of exigency, where immediate appeal cannot be made to the laws, and relief afforded."
~Doctrine and Covenants 134:11
Old January 20, 2014, 11:59 AM   #23
Tactical Jackalope

Quote:
Thanks, I will go to a range probably over the weekend to shoot a 9mm and .40 and see how I like between them.
Awesome, let us know how much you enjoy your new 9mm when you get it.
Old January 20, 2014, 12:00 PM   #24
Kleab

You don't have your location listed, but if by some chance you're in Utah, you're more than welcome to try out any of my guns and see if you like the feel.
"We believe that all men are justified in defending themselves, their friends, and property, and the government, from the unlawful assaults and encroachments of all persons in times of exigency, where immediate appeal cannot be made to the laws, and relief afforded."
~Doctrine and Covenants 134:11
Old January 20, 2014, 04:10 PM   #25
DannyB1954

I didn't mention any suggestions earlier because you had specific models that you were interested in, and I have no knowledge of those models.

I like durable accurate weapons. Pretty is not as important to me as function. If you are now open to guns that are not all metal, my favorites are Glock, Ruger SR series, and the new S&W SD VE series. For under $500 you can get a number of guns that will serve you well. For under $600, I like the Walther 99's and PPQ's.