The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old July 6, 2010, 12:11 AM   #1
BillD

Guys. I need your advise.

I thought you guys may have some good unbiased advise for a new boy.

There was a 9mm Sig X-Five Allround on an auction I wanted but it didn't sell, didn't meet the reserve or something. So I bought my "as new" 9mm CZ85 Combat which I like and are shooting OK with it but a bit inconsistantly - I'm working on my technique and different loads. Well, the X-Five Allround has come up for auction again. Considerably more expensive than the CZ of course, but is it a better gun? Will I shoot better with it? The pistol club I belong to has an emphasis on accuracy with targets at 25 yards and 50 yards. I'm thinking I might like to get into IPSC so hence the Allround with the SA/DA trigger. The idea of the gun being able to shoot tight groups at 25 and 50 yards is appealing and I feel I could improve my skills to "catch up" with what the gun is capable of. Or are the two guns much the same? Also I see the Allround is cheaper than the regular X-Five, is it a lessor gun than the regular X-Five?
Old July 6, 2010, 12:32 AM   #2
shredder4286

Quote:
is it a better gun? Will I shoot better with it?
i'm gonna go ahead and tell you what i'm sure many others will in advance; if it feels better, if YOU'RE more comfortable with it, you'll shoot better. Sigs are known for superior accuracy, but that's only if YOU shoot accurately with it. Being that you're still new to the handgun world, continue to work on your technique and develop good shooting habits. Good luck
Old July 6, 2010, 03:13 AM   #3
AZAK

Location: the object towards which the action of the sea is directed
Quote:
and are shooting OK with it but a bit inconsistantly - I'm working on my technique and different loads. Well, the X-Five Allround has come up for auction again.
Are you on a schedule? Do you have extra cash sitting around?

If yes to the second question, by all means try out the X-Five. Can't hurt; as long as you follow the basic safety rules.

Why I ask the first question: be careful when considering "better" equipment. Better skills are far more important. About the quickest way to communicate this would be suggesting watching Hickok 45 on youtube. (The man hits gongs out at 80 yards with things like: Kahr P380, Colt 1911, etc...) Impressive?
Well, how about 230 yards with a stock Glock?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFd3kF6LHz4
He is a member on this forum.

I would suggest getting some good mentoring concerning shooting technique, and trying out different pistols as you go along, then perhaps finding the pistols that you shoot the best. (And this all takes time; hence, the "schedule" question.)

I personally shoot pistols routinely out to 100 yards. I was at a range the other day, and literally was next to some folks new to shooting who could not hit the 2' X 4' cardboard on the target holder at 21 feet. I talked with them for a while, offered a few suggestions, including moving the target in to about 10', and they began to see some improvement.

Learning and working on the skill set is far more important; if you get to the point that you can use, truly use, an accuracy guaranteed pistol then the better tool can help. (For what it's worth, I was shooting, among others, a Colt Officers ACP out to 100 yards and was pleased with my results at the end of the day.)

YMMV

Now, go figure...

Last edited by AZAK; July 6, 2010 at 03:23 AM. Reason: Keyboard operator malfunction
Old July 6, 2010, 04:31 AM   #4
BillD

Good advise guys. Thanks. With the CZ 85 9mm, and with my .22 pistol shooting bullseye I'm getting it in the black (within the 8" circle) most of the time at 25 yards.

Answers, the more the merrier Keep 'em coming.

Also how accurate (not accurate) should the CZ 85 be at 25 yards?
Old July 6, 2010, 04:47 AM   #5
Daryl

Quote:
Also how accurate (not accurate) should the CZ 85 be at 25 yards?
It wouldn't be out of line to expect 3" or less at 25 yards.
Old July 6, 2010, 09:06 AM   #6
johnbt

Good advice so far.

I have a CZ-75B and a BHP, but that didn't stop me from buying an X-5 TAC TB the first time I handled one. It just seemed so right for me. I'm mostly a plinker and yes it is extremely accurate and easy to shoot. I like them all.

John
Old July 6, 2010, 10:34 AM   #7
FreakGasolineFight

Quote:
is it a better gun?
Objectively, no. Both guns are great guns.

Quote:
Will I shoot better with it?
Well, that depends on the shooter. Practically speaking, most any quality firearm will always be more accurate than the person shooting it. What really matters is how it fits your hand and how you handle it.

Someone like Hickock45 could pick up a Kel-Tec PF9 and consistently outshoot a newbie with a $5,000 tuned 1911. Point being, it's all in the shooter, not the gun.

I'd advise actually trying to get your hands on an X-Five and see if it feels better than your CZ. Shoot it if you can, and then base your buying decision off of that.

Just my long-winded $.02
Old July 6, 2010, 10:37 AM   #8
BigJimP

I don't know if its so much the gun - as skills(trigger control, grip, etc ) and eyesight that will make you a better shooter at 25 + yards...

In terms of the X-Fives - there are 4 models. The top end one is SAO and it has an adjustable trigger. I have one in .40S&W and it weighs about 55 oz with a full mag in it. Yes, it is a great gun - and the adj trigger is a nice feature - so you can set it exactly the way you want it.

The DA/SA version is a very different gun ...(more like the standard Sig 226's )...
Old July 6, 2010, 02:31 PM   #9
BillD

Thanks guys, thanks Jim. I was wondering why it didn't have quite such a heavy price tage as the DAO version. If it's more closely aligned to the regular 226's than the other X-fives I won't move on it. I just thought it was an opportunity to get a X-Five at an OK price.

What I will do is put a lot of lead downrange and get used to the CZ 85 Combat, and find out more about what I want out of a gun and really work on my technique. I'm still not quite used to the recoil of a 9mm after having shot my .22 Browning Medalist for a year. A few guys lent me their .35 Specials, .45 ACPs and 9mms. For some reason I shot really well with the S&W 686 (.38 Special). But I like the idea of the 9mm with ammo being cheap. I'm now reloading too.
Old July 6, 2010, 02:34 PM   #10
kodiakbeer

Quote:
With the CZ 85 9mm, and with my .22 pistol shooting bullseye I'm getting it in the black
Damn it! You robbed me of the opportunity to tell you to get a .22 as a cheap shooting trainer....

Unless the CZ just isn't ergonomic in your hands, it should match the Sig for intrinsic accuracy.
Old July 6, 2010, 04:11 PM   #11
BillD

Haha, I must have put about 3,000 rounds of .22 down range in the year I've had the Browning. Not that I'm any good, I just make up for it in quantity and enjoyment.