The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 24, 2008, 01:41 PM   #1
ah64id

30 Herrett Info

I have a new to me 30 herrett 10" bbl for my Contender.

I am excited to get it up and firing as it sports better ballistics than a 30-30 in a 10" bbl.

I am not new to reloading, but I am new to brass forming.

Any info would be great. I plan to use a 130gr Barnes TSX, and I am still out on powder...

Thanks,

John
Old January 24, 2008, 05:50 PM   #2
Franklin7X57

I've got the same barrel. Trimming the cases takes the most time. Adjust the dies so the action closes easily and no more. I've had good luck with IMR4198.
Old January 25, 2008, 09:25 AM   #3
ah64id

Thanks for the info. What bullet are you shotting?
Old January 25, 2008, 12:24 PM   #4
AZ Pete

Forming 30 Herrett brass is pretty straignt forward. I use a trim die for forming mine, just lube the 30-30 brass with Imperial Sizing Die Wax and briskly run into the trim die. I cut the majority of the excess neck length off with a jewlers saw, but a very fine hack saw blade or dremel cut off wheel can also be used. After that trim to lenght in a case trimmer.

Though I have played around with fire forming the cases with fast burning powder and case fillers, I think that this is a waste of effort. Just load with a starting load and shoot the round for practice. As Franklin stated above, when you size the brass, just size it enough that the action on your Contender closes, no more, no less. Franklin's choice of powder is right on as well.