The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old January 16, 2006, 06:19 PM   #1
JayZ28

Seeking recommendations for recoil sensitive shooter

Hopefully without getting into a caliber debate, I'm looking for recommendations on a CC friendly handgun for my fiancee. She suffers from a medical condition which renders her wrists extremely sensitive to recoil, and a stint at the local range determined that her most likely carry piece would be a 22. While the S&W 317 and similar J-frame revolvers were her favorite in terms of size and weight, it was very diffcult for her to control the DA trigger while maintaining good aim. After the first 20 or so rounds, she was unable to pull the trigger enough to fire the pistol. With the easy SA trigger on the S&W 22A-1 she was able to shoot very tight groups, but its size precludes CC on her 5'2" frame.

Are there any reliable CC friendly SA or DA/SA auto pistols in 22? Or should I look into a trigger job on the 317 to reduce the trigger pull to an acceptible level?

Thanks in advance,
Jay
Old January 16, 2006, 06:30 PM   #2
jrklaus

I don't know if this will work, but you might want to check this one out (the Bobcat):

http://www.berettausa.com/product/pr...stols_main.htm

It has a tip-up barrel, and turns into a single-action after the first shot. I don't own one, so I cannot speak from personal experience, but these models have been made for years, so folks must be buying them.

I hope she can find something that works for her. Good luck!
Old January 16, 2006, 06:47 PM   #3
mconn

recoil sensitive

From this novice, they do make a very small concealable single action revolver in .22. May be too small to obsorb the recoil. Another thought is a .38 snub loaded with target wadcutters and shot single action. Not much stopping power with either, but given the limitations, everything is a comprimise.
Old January 16, 2006, 06:57 PM   #4
Webleymkv

As pointed out earlier, Beretta makes some good .22's. Also, you may look into the Walther P22 or one of the PP series in that caliber. You may also consider a .25 if you're going to go with an auto. .25 ACP is about the same as a .22lr but is centerfire and therefore more reliable. I think a Beretta would be your best bet in a .25 but Colt has also made some excellent models that might fit the bill. Another consideration for the revolver is something in .32 H&R Magnum. It will hold one more shot than a .38 in a J-Frame and will recoil less. Ruger also makes the SP101 in .22, .38 Spl, and .357 Magnum and used to make it in .32H&R. The SP101 is somewhat larger than a J-Frame and would soak up a little more recoil if you choose one in .38Spl. As to the DA trigger on the revolvers, Wolff makes reduced power mainsprings for both Ruger and S&W revolvers, installing one of these could make the trigger more manageable for her.
Old January 16, 2006, 07:06 PM   #5
fbs

sensitive to recoil...

i've got a lil 22 beretta, can't hit too much with it. i've wondered of a gun for my wife, but fear it getting turned on her...

if your wife is armoury friendly, a compensated glock might be cool. can she jack the slide back? 9mm?

love my new 21c. not really cc though....

how about this with winchester range ammo?

http://www.glock.com/te_g19.htm

how much cc? is the P3AT KelTek in 380 cool? my 66 year old dad just got one and says it's "not too bad" when concerned with recoil, which he is...

take care,
Old January 16, 2006, 07:10 PM   #6
CarbineCaleb

If the only issue is trigger pull, a Wolff spring kit makes a big difference in a S&W revolver, I can tell you that. Replace both mainspring and trigger return spring, and it's like a different gun - I did that in my 686P. Should also allow her to be more accurate, if she struggles less with the trigger.
Old January 16, 2006, 07:22 PM   #7
Pilot

I have a Beretta M21A semi-auto as a back up gun. Very reliable and easy to shoot. It has a tip up barrel, so she doesn't even have to rack the slide. Compact, light, nice little gun. IF she can handle a larger gun Beretta makes a full size .22 in the M87. Its the same size as there M84 and 85 .380's. Bersa also makes a .22 that is similar in size to the Beretta.
Old January 16, 2006, 07:27 PM   #8
topspin43

S&W Model 317 AirLite .22lr... No recoil at all. Your SO will be able to empty one into a target in 5 seconds.

check it out...
http://www.gunsamerica.com/guns/976673391.htm
Old January 16, 2006, 07:34 PM   #9
trigger happy

how about an 8 shot .22 magnum revolver like this Taurus ?

http://www.taurususa.com/products/pr...egory=Revolver
Old January 16, 2006, 08:43 PM   #10
pickpocket

I like the spring kit idea from CarbineCaleb. And, as other people have noted, the .25 and .380 are reasonable choices.

"Sabah al khair -- ismee Dave, ahnee al Shayṭān"
Old January 16, 2006, 09:00 PM   #11
trigger happy

or a 9 shot .22lr revolver like this other Taurus ?

http://www.taurususa.com/products/pr...egory=Revolver
Old January 16, 2006, 09:05 PM   #12
Onebum

When I read the post that started the thread my first thought was the taurus, which my buddy triggerhappy mentioned above.

First I'd check on various calibers for her, .22, 32, maybe a 38 or .380 lightly loaded. Basically find out what works for her, she may like a slightly bigger caliber with some of the things that can be done to make recoil not so severe.

With the caliber figured, I'd then look for a gun of good size for her, not to big, not to small, just right. A balance between conceal and hand comfort, so its not a hassle to carry and its not awkward to hold/fire...could be either revolver or pistol.

Then with the model or models she likes I would look into what can make A pistol HER pistol. A good trigger job can make a world of difference in a pistols feel. That would be first, but then theres a world of things to look into such as a ported barrell, a weighted/heavier barrell and other such things. Remember though every change made has good and bad effects on the pistol...such as a ported barrell helps with recoil but it also can start forest fires. Basically learn as much as you can before you make a change.

that's my half cent. sorry it's long, i tend to always write a lot. Anyway, do what ya can to make it reasonable for her, that way ya'll can both enjoy this fun thing called shootin. As a person who's had over 40 surgeries I know a bit about having problems with things other folks do with ease.

Good luck with it.

Da Bum
Old January 16, 2006, 10:11 PM   #13
CarbineCaleb

She could try something like a Walther P-22, or a Beretta 84FS (.380) in semiauto... I suspect she will like a revolver the best though, if she has trouble with her hands.

One thing I noticed about the 317 in the catalog is that it's awfully light - around 10oz. Although that makes it easy to carry and hold up there, if she is really that recoil sensitive, light weight is not good. Something in the 30-34oz range, even if it was a small centerfire like .32H&R Magnum or .38 Special, might be more comfortable for her to shoot. Assuming she hasn't tried them, Ruger's small frame SP101 can be had with a 3" barrel in either .32H&R or .38 Special (27oz). S&W's model 64 has a 3" barrel at 33oz in .38 Special. On any revolver, I'd suggest the spring kit to help her with the trigger - even big boys like it that way too - smoother and more accurate.
Old January 16, 2006, 10:30 PM   #14
timothy75

The Ruger P95 is the lightest recoiling 9mm I've ever shot period. It kicks less than a 380 and 25 I own. Coupled with Federals low recoil defensive loads I imagine she'd be allright. If she could pull the trigger double action 5 times (once a mag), she could get through a box of 50 at a session. If this isnt possible I'd go with a Ruger MKII 4''. This gun has a hair trigger and manual saftey. Its incredibly accurate and holds 11 rounds. Loaded with CCI's 22 Stinger round which is a 32 gr hollowpoint delivering 191 fp of energy, I'd say she'd be safe. With my MKII I can make eyeball shots all day at 5 yards.
Old January 17, 2006, 01:01 AM   #15
Gazpacho

A problem with 22lr revolvers is that they require a pretty heavy hammer for reliable ignition. Subsequently the DA pull and a 22lr revolver is going to be VERY heavy. No way around it without sacrificing reliability. The large frame 10-shot S&W revolver may be an exception, I have no experience there.

In semi-autos, take a look at the Firestorm FS22. Mine has been very reliable with22lr SD ammo. The DA pull ain't bad and the SA pull is pretty good.

Might I also recommend taking a look at the CZ-83 in 32acp (Gunbroker link, no affiliation). The DA pull is fairly light but a little mushy. The SA pull is even better, but also a little mushy. The gun is best described as a service size 32acp, as it is the largest 32acp currently in production (to the best of my knowledge). In the mid to late 80s it was a Czech police sidearm. Recoil is mild and the long barrel gets the most from the small cartridge. CZ-USA now sells a 15 round magazine for this pistol that fits flush with the grip (Their website erroneously says 12 round). This was the original magazine, before the hi-cap ban. If you were in Vegas, I'd let you take mine for a test drive, but maybe you can find someone up there who will let you try one out.

Best of luck!
Old January 17, 2006, 12:22 PM   #16
JayZ28

Thanks everyone for your insightful recommendations. My fiancee has now significantly expanded her CCW choice to include your suggestions, in particular the P22 and Beretta 22 autos. Although I would prefer that she stick with a revolver for reliability, it may not be worth the compromise in the end if a reduction in trigger pull will also reduce reliability on the rimfire round.

Thanks again,
Jay
Old January 17, 2006, 12:37 PM   #17
Mikeyboy

The best way to go would be get a trigger job on the 317, instead of here learning how to shoot automatics.
Old January 17, 2006, 12:47 PM   #18
Fremmer

Quote:
While the S&W 317 and similar J-frame revolvers were her favorite in terms of size and weight, it was very diffcult for her to control the DA trigger while maintaining good aim. After the first 20 or so rounds, she was unable to pull the trigger enough to fire the pistol.
The J-frame revolvers are reliable and convenient to carry. So I'll offer a different angle on the dangle, and we'll see what you folks think:

If she can fire that J-frame with even reasonable accuracy at a man-sized target that is 5-7 yards away, she is good to go for CCW. Don't worry about the 20 round limit, or her accuracy at 15, 20, or 25 yards; she won't shoot 20 rounds at a bad guy, and reasonable accuracy at a large target that is pretty close is just fine for a J-frame CCW gun.

The advantage of the revolver is that if one round fails to fire, all she has to do is keep pulling the trigger to get to the next round. With a semi, she is stuck trying to rack/tip the slide and clear that jam/round.
Old January 17, 2006, 12:59 PM   #19
SW40F

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayZ28
...While the S&W 317 and similar J-frame revolvers were her favorite in terms of size and weight, it was very diffcult for her to control the DA trigger while maintaining good aim. After the first 20 or so rounds, she was unable to pull the trigger enough to fire the pistol...
This does not mean it is not a good carry gun for her, since it sounds like she can empty the cylinder easily.

Edit: Like Fremmer said, but he beat me to it.
Old January 17, 2006, 01:54 PM   #20
Tacoma

You might look at a used modle 34 or 63 .22 revolver. Same as the 317 but 6 shot and all steel to absorb more recoil. Then get it to a gunsmith and have the action lightened and smoothened.. The revolver will allow here to shoot anything from shorts through stingers. I have a berreta 21A, nice little pistol but it is NOT accurate , seems to kick more than the 34 (it'slighter in weight.) and functions relaibly with hyperveloctiy/stingers only. For simplicity sake ( ie; No safeties, barrel releases, etc) , I like the revolver for those who don't shoot allot anyway.
Old January 17, 2006, 02:25 PM   #21
LHB1

Jay,
How about having your fiancee try shooting a S&W revolver SINGLE ACTION? She is or should be holding the gun with both hands so if she can use her left thumb to cock the hammer, the single action trigger pull is MUCH less than the double action pull. Hope you can find a solution for her. My wife is a similar size and not very strong due to age. I have tried to teach her this alternative way of firing the revolver. Unfortunately, we won't really know if it works until she has occassion to use it for real. Am hoping adrenaline will supply any missing strength for her.

Good shooting and be safe.
LB
Old January 17, 2006, 02:54 PM   #22
dairycreek

As others have said, the Beretta Bobcat may be of some assistance in solving your problem. It is a DA/SA action which means that the only tough trigger pull will be on the initial action. After that, it is single action and that will be much easier.

To some degree the tilt up barrel is handicap friendly. It can be loaded by tipping up the barrel instead of having to always load a mag. I have arthritis in my hands and find that these kids of Berreta pistols are somewhat easier for me to operate.

GOOD SHOOTING
Old January 17, 2006, 02:54 PM   #23
dairycreek

As others have said, the Beretta Bobcat may be of some assistance in solving your problem. It is a DA/SA action which means that the only tough trigger pull will be on the initial action. After that, it is single action and that will be much easier.

To some degree the tilt up barrel is handicap friendly. It can be loaded by tipping up the barrel instead of having to always load a mag. I have arthritis in my hands and find that these kinds of Berreta pistols are somewhat easier for me to operate.

GOOD SHOOTING
Old January 17, 2006, 02:58 PM   #24
Hans

I would suggest the Beretta 21A in .22 or the Tomcat in .32 acp. The tip up barrel would remove the need to work the slide, and the recoil would likely be less than a .38 snub. The .32 would be a better defensive round, but in a pinch, the .22 loaded with high-velocity ammo would work as well.
Without the 2nd Amendment, none of the others would exist.
Old January 17, 2006, 03:15 PM   #25
barnetmill

One word of caution. Pay attention to what Gazpacho stated about trigger pulls. .22 rimfires require a stronger hit to go off than centerfires. Do not meddle with the springs unless you know what you are doing.

For me revolvers and especially j-frame guns kick like heck. They are more reliable, but not recoil friendly even in a hot loaded .32 special. Steel frame .32 ACP of at least 18 oz in wt should be shootable, as long as she can work the slide.