The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting > Bullet Casting

Old April 7, 2010, 05:50 PM   #1
alloy

Lyman 450 tuneup questions

A friend gave me this last year, obviously an older version and it had been knocking around his barn for a while. He noticed I was saving lead, and I guess he felt sorry for me.
After a couple hours of cleaning off the rust and poop, I don't think there has ever been lube in the unit, looks new inside.
Not set up yet to cast anything, but slowly wandering that direction....it's missing a few things so I want to make sure I order the right stuff once instead of paying shipping over and over.

This die is marked 357 and missing a top punch.
Will this die work for 38 spec/357 or should I order the next size up, a .358?
A .452 die for .45 auto, correct?
The reservoir cover(#1) is not there, I suppose the cover from a modern 450 will work?
Gas check seater(#15) for the newer version fit this model?
And lastly....which Lyman lube would be recommended for 38/357 and 45 auto, without using a heater(at least for now)?

Assistance appreciated.

Old April 7, 2010, 09:50 PM   #2
salvadore

I like the .358 for an all around sizer, but your firearm may prefer something else. My sizing die retaining nut broke after 30 years and lyman sent me another one free....I'd give em a call and see what they can do for ya. I'm told if you don't plan on doing much shooting the 450 is a good lubersizer.
Old April 7, 2010, 11:23 PM   #3
azjohn

Sizers do what the name implies sizes the bullet. Depending on the bullet you are casting you have to match that to the proper top punch. The top punch fits into the bottom of the ram and is held in by #5 set screw in your diagram. The top punch is counter bored to the nose of the bullet so there is no deformation of the bullet as it is pushed down into the sizer. The parts you need come as an assembly # 2745817 . Everything that has an asterik beside the part number in your parts listing is in that kit. You will have to call Lyman to order it. I sense that you are new to this because of your question. I would suggest you get a manual or 2 and read as much as you can on your new hobby. When things work as they should it is much more enjoyable. Parts for the 450 are also intercangable with the RCBS Lubeamtic sizer so you have a lot more to choose from.
Top Punch Refenence on the left side
http://www.castpics.net/
Boolit Casting,sizing,lubing and equiptment. Search and lurk here.
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/
Hope this helps a little. John
Old April 8, 2010, 12:11 AM   #4
Edward429451

This die is marked 357 and missing a top punch. (maybe useful for 9mm)
Will this die work for 38 spec/357 or should I order the next size up, a .358?(try a .358 and if you have leading probs try a 359)
A .452 die for .45 auto, correct?(452 works for me)
The reservoir cover(#1) is not there, I suppose the cover from a modern 450 will work?(yes it will, I own both old and new models 450)
Gas check seater(#15) for the newer version fit this model?(yes it will)
And lastly....which Lyman lube would be recommended for 38/357 and 45 auto, without using a heater(at least for now)?(alox) or if you feel adventerous you can go to the castboolit board and find the recipe for Felix lube (FWFL) it is a soft lube and easy to make)
Old April 8, 2010, 05:23 AM   #5
alloy

Quote:
I'm told if you don't plan on doing much shooting the 450 is a good lubersizer.
Well that's not good, but for now....it's price will lessen my anguish.
Thanks for the tech help guys!
Old April 9, 2010, 12:46 PM   #6
dahermit

Quote:
... I'm told if you don't plan on doing much shooting the 450 is a good lubersizer...
This begs the question: If you do plan on doing much shooting, which sizer/lubricator should you buy?
I have used both RCBS and Lyman sizers since 1965. I prefer the Lyman and I have done a lot of shooting.
Old April 9, 2010, 04:19 PM   #7
David Wile

Hey folks,

I have been using Lyman and RCBS equipment for 50 years, and while I first started with with an old used orange Lyman Lubrisizer, I bought one of their first 2nd generation Lubrisizers (grey) in the early 1960s. I think it was their 45 model which was later replaced by the 450 model now in use.

In any case, if I were to recommend a new one today, it would be the RCBS model for one reason - Lyman is and always has been very difficult about replacing anything under warranty for me. On my 2nd generation Lubrisizer the main pressure screw came apart from the seal plug when it was only two or three years old, and Lyman sent me a new set of parts for about half of the price of the Lubrisizer at the time. Rubber "O" rings go bad? They have them for a price. I am still using the same Lubrisizer that I fixed all those years ago, and about two years ago the same screw and seal plug came apart and had to be replaced. Same thing warranty wise - just a higher price. This year I also had the thermostat go bad on my Mag 20 bottom pour furnace. Of course it was not covered by warranty. I spent $16 to send it back and another $45 for Lyman to fix it and return it to me.

I don't know what RCBS would have don about my furnace if it had been their product, but I am pretty sure they would have sent me all the parts for my Lubrisizer for free if it had been their product.

Like I said earlier, I like Lyman's products, but they have given me a bad taste in my mouth when it comes to their warranty.

Beat wishes,
Dave Wile
Old April 10, 2010, 06:09 PM   #8
salvadore

"This begs the question: If you do plan on doing much shooting, which sizer/lubricator should you buy?
I have used both RCBS and Lyman sizers since 1965. I prefer the Lyman and I have done a lot of shooting."

Sorry guys, I was just quoting one of the wizards of smart in here. I have used my Lyman for years and years and years and...well you get the point.

I have sized with my lyman .22s, .25s, 32s, .358s, .44s. .45s, .454s, and .458s....well 462 and I shoot a lot.
Old April 12, 2010, 10:08 PM   #9
GP100man

I`d order the ram & handle upgrade , to the ones in the parts diagram .

Replace the pressure nut o rings & order a resievior cover (it holds the pressure screw centered when low).install a peice of 1/2" pvc 3/4 " long under the pressure nut to prevent the pressure nut from runnin off the threads on the bottm of the screw.

A 495 top punch , it`ll handle any flat nosed bullet that`ll fit in a 357.

clean ,then polish out the 357 sizer die to 358 or 359

You`ll have less than 50.00 in it & can get that easy if you decide to upgrade to a star , or keep it for the low volume sizin !!

I have sized many bullets on a 450 & have lubed 100 in just a jiffy !