The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old July 19, 2000, 06:50 AM   #1
Spadone

Anybody handled the replica Starr double action cap n' ball pistol? Sure wish somebody would put out an english DA revolver.
Old July 19, 2000, 09:26 AM   #2
fal308
Staff Alumnus

Haven't handled one but Sportsman's Guide had them for sale a while back and sold out very quickly. We discussed them here at the time. Don't recall what the concensus was though. You might want to try the search feature using Starr as the seach word.
Old July 20, 2000, 07:40 PM   #3
Alex Johnson

I've got one of Cabela's replicas of the Star in DA. Actually the Cabela's store here in Grand Forks has a couple of the Stars on the rack in the Bargain cave that were display models for about $150 (though I believe they are the SA versions). The one I've got is fun to shoot in DA, though I wouldn't want to say it's any target gun. I've found it doesn't shoot point of aim (not uncommon with the Colts, but seems like the star should be better considering it's got a higher front sight)still, the Star has more than enough accuracy for what it's intended purpose was. It takes some getting used to shooting in DA since you won't see the rear sight until half way through the very long, heavy, trigger pull. You can shoot it SA but the trigger is still very mushy. I set up some sillohette targets at about 20 yards and fired it in rapid DA at them and the result would definitely have got the job done. For close quarters combat, and quick reloads with spare cylinders I think the Star would definitely have got my vote of confidence over the Colts and Remingtons if I had been an officer during the Civil War. Oh by the way some guy over in Germany is making reproductions of the Adams revolver in 36 caliber, but the price is to my way of thinking prohibitive for all but the most dedicated enthusiasts.