The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 19, 2013, 02:56 PM   #1
MercyfulFate

So I purchased a Beretta 92fs!

I love it so far, but I only had time to put 20 rounds downrange so far. Shoots beautifully though!

I live in Massachusetts so it only came with 10 round magazines, so I need to find some 15 round pre-ban magazines. The problem seems to be that there's no way to tell what's pre-ban, so I guess it's a risk to own.

One of the big criticisms is the size, and I see what people mean but I like it. The magazine release is too far away for my thumb though, and I have to shift the gun to hit it usually. Is that normal for most full size semi-automatics? Or do people just pop the magazine out without shifting the gun at all?
Old February 19, 2013, 04:08 PM   #2
jimbob24

Congratulations on your Beretta! I love the 92 and reccomend then all the time! My favorite handgun by far! Anyway I find that a lot of my handguns both full size and smaller require me to shift the gun a little bit to hit the mag release. Funny, I never really thought about it until you mentioned it. Never bothered me I guess. Enjoy!
Old February 19, 2013, 04:31 PM   #3
MercyfulFate

Me neither, but my girlfriend pointed it out and then I wondered if it was the case with every gun! With my revolver I push forward and release the cylinder, but have to move my hand and hold it obviously.
Old February 19, 2013, 08:20 PM   #4
AndyWest

Congrats and great choice in the 92FS. One of my favorites. It is a rather large pistol but I don't have the grip problems you describe. Can you post a pic of your hand gripping it from the left side? Attached is a pic of my grip. I don't know why my fingers look yellow, crappy cell cam I guess.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG00184-20130219-1910.jpg (69.6 KB, 129 views)
Old February 19, 2013, 08:27 PM   #5
MercyfulFate

It looks pretty much identical to that picture, but my thumb has no leverage sitting there to push the magazine out. I need to press straight down from above the magazine release to get enough pressure to let it out.

If that makes sense. Thumb lying on it like yours is can't release the magazine. People say this is normal, the only way I could release it like that is if my knuckle was on the button. The end of my thumb doesn't have the strength to do it.

I didn't word my original post well, my thumb reaches it I just can't release it unless I shift the gun and press straight down with the top of my thumb.
Old February 19, 2013, 08:29 PM   #6
Cowboy_mo

Andy, just curious but ....

what size glove do you wear? Your fingers look long in that pic and I'm guessing you take L or XL gloves.

Not asking to be smart but I have "elfin" hands and have to shift most of my guns to push the mag release button. That includes my brother's 92FS when he brings it out to shoot. I adore the gun but do have the same problem as the OP.
Old February 19, 2013, 08:38 PM   #7
Noreaster

Im not sure but I believe in MA it's a violation to have pre ban magazines with your current firearm. I could be wrong. I know the Police have a list with serial #s so they can ID firearms made prior to the ban, but your LTC class A allows you to have pre ban mags. Actually the firearm laws in MA are so complicated that most Police don't understand them. Congrats on the purchase, Beretta is a great company and the 92 rocks.
Old February 19, 2013, 08:40 PM   #8
MercyfulFate

I don't think it's illegal to own pre-ban magazines (I have a Class A like you said), because I'm not sure they connect the Serial number as a condition for owning them. There's no way to prove their age as far as I know by themselves, so I'm not sure.

People do own them and sell them here, so I'll look for them. They'd only be used on the range so I wouldn't be real worried about getting caught with them anyway.
Old February 19, 2013, 08:43 PM   #9
AndyWest

I have largish hands and that may contribute. You might try a SMALL amount of oil from the button side and work it in several dozen times. Also, I know there are bigger mag release modifications that speed shooters use that might be helpful.
Old February 19, 2013, 08:45 PM   #10
MercyfulFate

I'm going to stick with it as is, it's normal according to most accounts. It's too resistant and out of the way to really be pressed easily with the end of the thumb. I could switch it to the right side and release the magazine with my index finger, but nah. If I really have to release it without budging my hand at all I can, it just takes work.
Old February 20, 2013, 07:01 PM   #11
Brian48

Four Seasons Firearms in Woburn has usually been good at finding Pre-Ban 15rd mags and offering them for sale at reasonable prices. That's where I picked up mine, but that was last year or so. Although I certainly can't identify them as pre-ban, the receipt they gave me specifically say that they are. If there's any contention, I can put myself in the clear. All the LE friends I know gave me the same answer that there's absolutely no way to tell and the law is not enforceable. The only clear indicator are mags specifically labeled as "LE purposes". There's another place in Quincy that supposedly has them in stock periodically, but the prices may be more inflated.
Old February 20, 2013, 08:28 PM   #12
Dragline45

Quote:
Im not sure but I believe in MA it's a violation to have pre ban magazines with your current firearm.
It is perfectly fine to have pre-ban mags in Massachusetts as long as you have a Class A license.
Old February 20, 2013, 10:06 PM   #13
Pilot

I have large hands with long fingers, not beefy, but just large. I have to shift my grip slightly to engage the mag release on my 92FS. That is until I easily switched it to the oversized mag release from the Elite II version of the 92. Beretta USA sells them. It is an easy and worthwhile mod.
Old February 20, 2013, 10:18 PM   #14
MercyfulFate

Thanks for the info on the pre-ban mags, and I'll think about getting the bigger mag release. It's not a huge problem, but as it's my first semi-automatic gun I wasn't used to it and thought I might be doing something wrong.

Owner of: S&W Model 10-5, Beretta 92fs and a Mossberg Maverick 88 "Security" Shotgun
Old February 21, 2013, 01:45 AM   #15
Chesster

Congrats on the 92. I always said if you run out of ammo, it makes a great club.

Have three. 92FS, a Police Special, and an old frame with a military M9 slide on top. All great shooters. Mags were inexpensive before the craziness and there are plenty out there if you can find them.
Vote 'Pro-Choice' on 2nd Amendment issues!!!
Old February 23, 2013, 10:49 PM   #16
Rogervzv

The Beretta 92fs is a classic. Beautiful, reliable, and accurate. Very easy to break down and clean, too. What's not to like?
Old February 25, 2013, 12:02 AM   #17
Prof Young

Congrats

Congrats on the 92fs. I've owned one only a short time myself and really like it. I live in IL which has it own set of gun owning related problems but no magazine limits. The guy I got mine from had an 18 shot magazine. Way fun.
Live well, be safe
Prof Young
Old February 25, 2013, 07:31 PM   #18
MercyfulFate

Roger that looks like my target when I first used it! Although I missed at the start and was going low and left because I was snatching at the trigger. Quickly righted it though.

I got a Voodoo tactical MOLLE holster for it today as I plan on taking it hiking.

Owner of: S&W Model 10-5, Beretta 92fs and a Mossberg Maverick 88 "Security" Shotgun