The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 16, 2006, 09:21 PM   #1
Rube

Texan Powder Measure

I'm fairly new to reloading and started with a pretty basic setup. I bought the Lee Perfect Measure to get started, but it seems like the powder charge varies quite a bit and because of my lack of experience and confidence, I end up weighing about every other load. Today I was at a gunshow and picked up a Texan powder measure. It looks like a heck of a piece of equipment. Anybody have any experience with this thing? I've never heard of Texan (reloading equipment), and there doesn't seem to be a lot of info on the net about them. It appears to have a pretty accurate system for measurement, and a built in trickler. I'm really not sure what good the trickler does. I just assumed that you trickle powder on to a scale. Seems like the built in trickler would mean that you would have to weigh every charge. What am I missing?
Rube
Old September 17, 2006, 12:29 AM   #2
Smokey Joe

Texan reloading equipment

Rube--I believe what you are (will be) missing is factory support. AFAIK, Texan went out of business years ago, so manuals from the company, or replacement parts, not to mention website-based support, will be nonexistant.

I made the mistake of buying a Texan shotshell reloading machine/set. After much frustration, scrapped it and bought a MEC.

Now, having said that, if the powder measure is a REAL screamin' deal, buy it, take it home, and see if it does in fact throw accurate powder charges. If so you got a bargain. If not, e-bay it, it is probably a collectors' item.

Frankly, were I you, I'd pass on the thing, unless you actually collect old reloading equipment. Powder measures from active companies like Lyman and RCBS aren't all that expensive, and they are accurate.

--Smokey Joe
Old September 17, 2006, 08:26 AM   #3
Rube

I guess my post was a little vague. I should have said "puchased" instead of "picked up". It was $10 so whatever happens I won't be out all that much.
Old September 17, 2006, 10:13 AM   #4
hivel37

Awhile back, I picked up an old (ancient) Redding measure. It throws extruded powder more accurately than my Redding #3. I plan to build an alternate loading bench w/only old (pre 1960) equipment installed.

Check it against your scale. It probably will work fine.
Old September 17, 2006, 10:50 AM   #5
MADISON

Texan Powder Measure?

The Texan Powder Measure went down the tubes a long time ago.
Any GOOD powder measure should be accurate to 3/10 of a grain.

I have reloaded since 1970.