The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old July 11, 2013, 06:25 PM   #1
Harms Way

Another short 98 Mauser to Identify ? Police ? Tanker ?

Hi Guys,...

I am new to this sight, I was trying to do some research on a unusual Mauser I have had for a very long time, When it came in on a trade the fellow told me it was a Belgium Police Carbine, also used as a Tanker,.... It had no handguard And i have looked from time to time at shows for a long time to no avail.

The Thread I found is in this section and titled
"Help identify really short Mauser"

The description and length of the barrel is the same, but it's in much better condition than mine, mine is missing the hand guard, But Mine has a number of markings and proofs as well as the crest. I am more of a U.S firearms guy, And an not really well versed in Mauser's.... Can any of you guys shed some light on this for me,... And any ideas where I can come up with a hand guard ?....

Thanks guys..

Old July 11, 2013, 09:16 PM   #2
Tidewater_Kid

From what I can find in my Mauser book, it is a FN M1930 Carbine made for Venezuela in 7mm caliber.

TK

Last edited by Tidewater_Kid; July 13, 2013 at 02:22 PM.
Old July 13, 2013, 12:14 AM   #3
James K
Member In Memoriam

The "thing" on the butt stock apparently is a locally fabricated sling attachment. I don't recall seeing anything quite like it.

Jim
Old July 13, 2013, 09:49 AM   #4
Tidewater_Kid

According to Ball's Mauser book, it was a 1924 Mexican carbine-type metal bracket for a horseman's lanyard. He had observed one on an early carbine.

TK
Old July 13, 2013, 01:09 PM   #5
P5 Guy

A couple of years ago I sold my Mauser short rifle. It was chambered in .30'06 from the Fabric National in Belgium. A three digit serial number and no receiver crest. I was told it was a Moroccan Police issued rifle from the early/mid 1950s.
What a hoot to shoot with that 17 inch barrel.
Old July 16, 2013, 11:51 AM   #6
James K
Member In Memoriam

I like the way the c. 1960 fakers' term "tanker" has become shorthand for any short barrel rifle. There were never any issue "tanker" Garands or "tanker" M1903's and there sure weren't any "tanker" Mauser 98's.

Jim
Old July 16, 2013, 05:06 PM   #7
wpsdlrg

You are so right, James K. NO such thing as a "tanker Mauser". Ever. Any model or series.

The super short carbine Mausers, such as the one in question, were almost always produced for police issue, not military use. The exception being the various "Engineer's carbines", such as the Argentine 1891. But, it is a pretty safe bet that the carbine in question is a former police issue weapon.

In any event, it wasn't, isn't now and never will be a so-called "tanker".
Old July 16, 2013, 05:27 PM   #8
xring3

I do recall years ago seeing a short mauser of 1940's german manufacture refered to as a mountain carbine. another one of those "should have bought" rifles.
Old July 16, 2013, 07:50 PM   #9
James K
Member In Memoriam

The G.33/40 was issued as a short rifle for mountain troops and it also was specially lightened. The barrel length is 19.29", shorter than the K.98k at 33.69", but longer than most of the true carbines.

(FWIW, there are a fair number of G.33/40 fakes around, so doing some homework before shelling out bucks is a good idea.)

Jim