The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 3, 2006, 05:00 PM   #1
SilverState

Newbie Here - Silly Questions

I have had my reloading equipment for a while now, but am just now getting around to finally using it; I have just been saving up brass. I have my Lyman tumbler full of walnut media and .50ae brass getting polished.

I was trying to mount the Dillon 550B to my workbench and noticed two things. One, I don't see the mounting bolts/nuts. Two, the back two holes (thicker part of the base) will go through the metal frame of my workbench. The wood part of the bench is a little over half an inch and the metal (hollow) frame below it is about 1 and a half inches.

So I am wondering if I should have received some bolts/nuts to mount the Dillon. If not, I guess I need to get some real long ones for the back and regular sized for the front, right? Or does anyone have a better suggestion?
Old September 3, 2006, 05:38 PM   #2
cpaspr

Time to head for the hardware store.

Measure the diameter of the slots provided, and get the proper sized bolts long enough to adequately bolt the press down. Be sure to get enough bolt length for any washers, lock washers, extra 2X4s to beef up the steel, etc. you may need to get a good solid mount. They can't know anyone's specific setup, so it is doubtful you were supposed to receive any bolts/nuts.

If I understand your workbench description correctly (and I'll admit I may not) it sounds like it may be a metal framework with a wood top bolted to it. The steel most likely is maybe 1/8" thick, hopefully bent at least in an angle for added stability. Again, I'm using my imagination here, but if that is an approximate description of your bench you should consider stiffening it up in the area you'll be mounting the press to. I have a RCBS JR single-stage press mounted to a 2'x2' square, 1.5" thick platform (two pieces of 3/4" plywood glued and screwed together). 3/4" had too much flex when I first built it, which leads me to believe your 1/2" plywood benchtop will be way too light to adequately support a Dillon progressive. Just my thoughts on the matter, based on my interpretation of your description.
Old September 3, 2006, 05:41 PM   #3
npv

Have you checked out the Strong Mounts. I used them to get the 550 off the bench and find it easier to work with... but if you don't go that way, yes you will have to get bolts to hold it down...
Old September 4, 2006, 10:15 PM   #4
44 AMP
Staff

Some presses can be secured (temporarily) with large "C" clamps.

30-40 years ago, the kind of bolts you need were called "carriage bolts". Not sure what a kid in a hardware store would call them today.
Old September 6, 2006, 11:29 AM   #5
SilverState

I mounted the back bolts of a piece of 2X2X3/4 inch plywood hanging off the bench a couple of inches. I mounted the front bolts through the plywood and the bench. I then mounted the plywood to the bench with three additional bolts. All the bolts are grade 8 and I used fender washers with grade 8 nuts. The frame is L-shaped but has angled pieces at each corner. I am using 1/4X4 lag bolts with fender washers to mount the bench to the beams in the wall. Hopefully that will be secure enough.
Old September 6, 2006, 03:02 PM   #6
Thesenator

Three inch 1/4X20's with a flat washer and locknuts will do the trick.

A Dillon "Strong Mount" is good ....if you like standing up and reloading, or pulling the lever over your head while sitting, neither of which are comfortable for me.
Old September 7, 2006, 05:24 AM   #7
Benonymous

Press mounting

Due to a lack of free bench space in my workshop i mounted my Redding "Boss" press on a stout piece of board first. Then I got a couple of 8" throat C clamps and clamped it onto the bench. I can't leave it set up all the time so now i can just unclamp it and stow it away.