The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old June 18, 2014, 01:49 PM   #1
Chestnut Forge

ole bess

I rolled up 5 paper cartridges for the brown Bess. Now I need to try them, might head to the range this evening.
Old June 18, 2014, 03:04 PM   #2
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Good for you. Nice to hear somebody's not get'in rained out. Don't have a Brown Bess to shoot here. Just a 'Ol turtle thumper T/C I got. But it does still work ~~~I tink?_
Old June 18, 2014, 07:37 PM   #3
4V50 Gary
Staff

Last semester I brought my Indian copy of the First Model Bess to school. Had to work on the tumbler to get it to stop dropping into the safety notch. Now the cock drops and the wood wedge (my faux flint) works strikes the frizzen/battery/hammer. Also took the opportunity to polish the front side of the frizzen/battery /hammer.
Old June 19, 2014, 11:14 AM   #4
TB9

been meaning to roll up some cartidges for my bess carbine but every time I want to head to the range it rains . I got to roll some up for my charleville to if things ever dry out up here . supposed to be a good weekend coming so we will see.
Old June 22, 2014, 11:55 AM   #5
Chestnut Forge

Just got back from the range. The paper cartridges were better than I had thought they would be. The cartridges were rolled with printer paper. A .715 ball and 110 grn of FFg. 25 yards off the bench and I'm impressed with the accuracy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20140622_125417.jpg (129.0 KB, 31 views)
Old June 22, 2014, 01:38 PM   #6
TB9

good shooting . I rolled up some paper cartridge a .735 ball on top of 75 gr. 2f goex . thinking of going up to 80-85 grs. gonna try that next , do you tie your cartridges or glue them ? I like to use the glue sticks and the pattern 76 template for the French style I guess you could call them .
Old June 22, 2014, 09:09 PM   #7
Chestnut Forge

TB9

I glue mine. I use the purple Elmer's sticks. Rolled around a 5/8ths dowel. My shooting buddies (hecklers) wouldn't shoot it. I guess they thought it would kick a bit. The recoil isn't bad, but it will let you know it went off.
Old June 23, 2014, 09:03 AM   #8
TB9

yeah that's what I use . so far at 75 grs. no real recoil at all and accuracy is not bad so far that's why I was thinking of increasing the charge to 80-85 grs.
Old June 23, 2014, 09:23 AM   #9
Colt46

Too early for Kipling?

".....Outspoken, flinty lipped, brazen faced Jade....."

Love the history associated with that old warhorse.
Old June 23, 2014, 12:41 PM   #10
TB9

kippling right ? . ive read that poem on the web some where once and in high school long ago . spent my time as a soldier with a weapon not at all as charming .
Old June 24, 2014, 07:12 AM   #11
Chestnut Forge

I started it with 70 grn and worked up 5 at a time. I read somewhere that smooth boreslikea stout load. It seems to be true. Accuracy is much better with the heavy charge. I run 70 grn under 120 grn of #6shot just for playing around. With the short barrel it throws about a 40 inch pattern at 25 yards.
Old June 24, 2014, 08:00 AM   #12
TB9

haven't tried shot in mine yet still playing with my balls so to speak the bess has proven to be a lot of fun so far . got to get back to my charleville soon though that one is pretty much settled at a .662 ball on top of 85 grs. of 2f goex in a paper cartridge though I might drop that down to 80 grs. ive heard that about the stout charge but to be honest I prefer a little less . but I may just try a couple and see what happens .
Old June 28, 2014, 09:41 PM   #13
Chestnut Forge

Just got done rolling 11 more rounds. This time I dipped the ball end in bullet lube. I also am trying something new(to me) with shot. I cut aluminum foil like the paper, rolled it. Then rolled paper over it. Filled with shot and glued/twisted shut. Did the same thing using double paper, rolled in opposite directions. I'm hoping the shot packets will blow open and not just go downrange like a slug. Will post result some time Sunday evening.
Old June 29, 2014, 07:12 AM   #14
TB9

sounds interesting keep us posted . what do you use for lube I have tried a 50/50 bee's wax and olive oil . for shot I use foil wrap round the dowel but to tell the true I ve not done much work up on it so far .
Old June 29, 2014, 12:51 PM   #15
Chestnut Forge

Ok, the foil/paper worked fantastic. The double paper, not so much. They held together until impact. My bullet lube is a blend of paraffin, bees wax and Crisco. The ball loads were better than I expected at 50 yards. I did take a couple of videos. One shows muzzle jump, the other shows lock time http://youtu.be/4r4GQEb2Oes. http://youtu.be/byfVZrQpMwc

Last edited by Chestnut Forge; June 29, 2014 at 01:00 PM.