The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Lock and Load: Live Fire Exercises

Old August 13, 2006, 12:06 AM   #1
bclark1

Ranges near Cleveland?

Well, I head to Cleveland on Monday. Out of IL for a bit at least, hooray.

Wondering if anyone's got recommendations on a decent shooting club nearby? I've found some within 20 miles, but looking for some feedback on what's good. I shoot everything, and am only considering places with trap and a rifle range at least 100 yards. Friendly employees and having my dollar travel as far as possible would be the two biggest factors.

Hopefully this is the right forum to drop this question in. Thanks!
Old August 13, 2006, 11:07 AM   #2
hksigwalther

When and where around Cleveland will you be staying?

A few of us from Rimfire Central will be meeting up at the Grand River public range for a little informal (rimfire) USBR shooting (I'll also be practicing CMP Sporter Rimfire) next week (08/20). The range, however, is fixed at 25 yds (rimfire and handguns only), 50 yds, and 100 yds (fixed meaning no target between the firing line and those listed distances). Paper targets only (target holders provided), strict safety rules enforced by (at least) two ODNR officers, outdoors, one Port-a-potty on site.

I'm a member of a private club about 70 miles south of Cleveland that is more open (6 different ranges) and out to 600 yds in one range, full auto friendly. A plate shoot is also scheduled for that weekend (which I should attend as I haven't gone to one this year yet). 1 Port-a-potty, 1 indoor restroom in the consessions building which should be open during the shoot.

Another choice is A&A off of Rt 422 near Parkman (not too far from Grand River). Their range goes out to 200 yds. A bit small and a little unkempt but the clubs bread and butter is trap and skeet. You can shoot up anything there.

EDIT : Err, this is Cleveland, OH you're talking about, isn't it?

Last edited by hksigwalther; August 13, 2006 at 12:00 PM.
Old August 13, 2006, 02:46 PM   #3
bclark1

Yep, Cleveland Ohio.

I had a big printout of ranges, can't seem to find it now. I recall there was one in Euclid (IIRC) that had a decent rifle range and all kinds of Clay. Probably looking to stay within 30-40 miles though. The "good" range I went to in IL was more than an hour's drive, so I made it out there maybe monthly. I'd like to get out more this time around. I'll be living in Cleveland, but pretty close to Cleveland Heights.
Old August 13, 2006, 05:01 PM   #4
garryc

Quote:
I'm a member of a private club about 70 miles south of Cleveland that is more open (6 different ranges) and out to 600 yds in one range, full auto friendly. A plate shoot is also scheduled for that weekend (which I should attend as I haven't gone to one this year yet). 1 Port-a-potty, 1 indoor restroom in the consessions building which should be open during the shoot.
Are you talking about TUSCO?
Old August 14, 2006, 11:59 AM   #5
hksigwalther

Yeah Tusco.

The range with the Euclid address, are you talking about Crooked Creek? If so, the Euclid address is their mailing address. The range is actually in Ashabula county. Only a little closer than Grand River. Never been there before myself.

http://www.crooked-creek.org/
Old August 17, 2006, 08:33 AM   #6
bclark1

Yeah, Crooked Creek was the one I spotted in Euclid. The ones I'd found within the 50 mile range (at least for their addresses on NRAHQ) were:

Crooked Creek
Top Gun (Middlefield)
North Lawrence Fish and Game (North Lawrence)
South Cuyahoga Sportsman's Assoc. (North Royalton)
Waverly Hunt Club (Wakeman Township)

I'm fine with public or private, just trying to keep it as accessible and cost-effective as possible.

Thanks for the suggestions so far, I'm looking into them.
Old August 17, 2006, 10:00 AM   #7
Boondoggie

Quote:
bclark1 -
Crooked Creek
Top Gun (Middlefield)
North Lawrence Fish and Game (North Lawrence)
South Cuyahoga Sportsman's Assoc. (North Royalton)
Waverly Hunt Club (Wakeman Township)
Stonewall - South of Cleveland off I77. (Indoor 75ft range, use to allow rifles loaded one at a time on Monday nights only). Bad rep. for gun prices, range facility is about a 6 (1 = worst, 10 = best).

Royal Ridge - Brunswick Hills, South of Cleveland off I71. (50 ft indoor range). My personal recommendation, STAY AWAY. He'll charge you $12 IF you buy ammo from him, or $15 an hour IF you bring your own. Locally known as 'grumpy pants', and a few other choice words....

South Cuyahoga Sportsman's Assoc. http://www.scsa.info/- Two facility, one in North Royalton, mostly trap, archery and fishing.
One in Medina, (South on I71). Membership is $107 per year, or if you want to shoot pistol, there is a weekly Tuesday night IDPA, non-members welcome $8.00 per shoot. Members also enjoy 50/100/200 yards outdoor.
If you are interested in the Tuesday night IDPA you are welcome to pm me.
Old August 17, 2006, 06:48 PM   #8
hksigwalther

Take note that Stonewall is an indoor range if it hasn't ben figured out yet (...Monday nights...).
Old August 17, 2006, 07:44 PM   #9
bclark1

Thanks for all the info - seems like I have some options within 40 miles, although it doesn't sound like Illinois where I could clear that on back roads in like a half hour. I've been warned about how easy it is to get ticketed (comparatively) here.

Anyone have any input on Top Gun, North Lawrence or Waverly?

I appreciate the help!
Old August 19, 2006, 12:55 AM   #10
bclark1

And a small tangent, I was debating making an internet order, but the Wal Win Whitebox still seems to be leading the cheap-target-ammo race. However, I stopped in at the Cleveland Heights Walmart, and alas, no guns or ammo. Hopefully Cuyahoga's not like Cook with their attitude towards sales?
Old August 20, 2006, 10:31 PM   #11
garryc

Run down 42 (Pearl Road) to Medina walmart, they will have ammo
Old August 21, 2006, 11:44 AM   #12
hksigwalther

Ugh. You'll have to drive out of Cleveland and its adjacent cities to get ammo at a Wal*Mart. Hit the nearby suburbs. The ones in Parma, Parma Hts, Strongsville have them.
Old August 21, 2006, 05:31 PM   #13
bclark1

oh how i love big cities.
it's still a big step from chicago though. at least i was in the burbs, west across the "wall" (interstate 294) from cook county.

right now i'm planning on going to the SCSA's next meeting to look into membership. i really like the idea of meeting some fellow hunters, and having access to some good fishing and maybe some small game land, in addition to long ranges and clays.

thanks for everybody's input!
Old August 21, 2006, 07:29 PM   #14
hksigwalther

I've been mulling over membership to South Cuyahoga for the past year or two myself. Their range is a little closer to me than my regular Grand River trek (and Tusco) plus go out farther than 100 yds.
Old August 22, 2006, 05:23 AM   #15
Hal

Quote:
Hopefully Cuyahoga's not like Cook with their attitude towards sales?
Sadly - it's pretty close.
The good news is that Cuyahoga is pretty unpopular with the surrounding counties & 1/2 hour in any direction out of the greater Cleveland area puts you in a much friendlier atmosphere/ Greater Cleveland area is much smaller than Greater Chicago.
I live about 45 min South of Cleveland Heights (Stow) and the Wal Mart 1 mile away stocks plenty of ammo (no guns though).

North Lawrence Fish and Game is roughly 45 min South of me. I shot a round of sporting clays there a few years ago. Their facilites are pretty decent.

P.S. - you're spot on about watching your speed. Most places it's not "if", it's "when" you get a ticket.
Old August 25, 2006, 07:23 PM   #16
Boondoggie

A couple of things to watch for is occasionally Dicks Sporting Goods will have ammo on sale. (Check the plain Dealer circulars on Sunday's)

It does go very quick, I stopped out at Fairlawn to pick up some 9mm on sale for $5.99 a box and the ammo shelf was empty and this was only Monday evening.

Also try The Fin in Ashland. They some times have 'truck load' sales, again go early.

Medina Walmat I know sells ammo and guns and if I am not mistaken, so does the one in Middleburgh hts. (on Rt 42 off I71, next door to Home Depot)

Not sure if any of you shot pistols, but SCSA will be starting up their pin shoot. This will be held the first Sunday of every month starting in September.
Old August 25, 2006, 10:00 PM   #17
hksigwalther

Quote:
...so does the one in Middleburgh hts. (on Rt 42 off I71, next door to Home Depot)
That's the Strongsville one.
Old September 19, 2006, 11:17 PM   #18
skeeter1

Stonewall in Broadview Hts. is a mixed bag.

http://www.stonewallrange.com/

It's a 25yd indoor range, their handgun prices are fairly high, and their ammo prices are outrageous, and they don't sell reloading supplies. Range time, however, is fairly reasonable. $6 per half hour.
Old September 20, 2006, 11:24 AM   #19
hksigwalther

If you don't mind the drive, the public Grand River range is $5 for the entire day (9:00 am - 5:00 pm) or $24 for the year (March-December).
Old September 22, 2006, 06:49 AM   #20
oldmantod

Hey Ron,

Where is that one at?? I haven't added any comments (everybody loves Bill Bash, we all have our stories) because I just head to Grafton and shoot at "Cousin Vinny's".

- T
Old September 22, 2006, 11:40 AM   #21
hksigwalther

It takes me 1 hr (± 5 min) to get to Grand River from Parma Hts. It'll probably take an additional 15-20 min from Grafton.

I-480 East to Rt 422
Rt 422 East to Rt 528 North
Rt 528 North to Rt 88 East
There is sign for the range on the left just before the road it is on. Turn left (North) on the road. There is usually a big pile or two of gravel near the sign. There will be a shotgun range about ¼ mile before the gun range road also on your left if you want to bust some clays (bring your own thrower).

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Grand River 01.JPG (132.5 KB, 6315 views)
Old September 23, 2006, 09:11 AM   #22
garryc

For trap and clays you can go to the gun and reel club in amherst. just go west on I-90/rt2 till you get to Middle ridge road/ broadway. Turn left and go about a mile and it's on your left side. You will see it's sign and another next to it that says Wagners Farm. Shooting times for the public are 9-3 sat-sun. $4 for 25 birds.