The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old October 15, 1998, 10:49 PM   #1

Welcome Bill, pull up a stump by the fire and pour yourself a hot cup of coffee. It's gonna be a long night, I can just feel it in my bones.

I came across a Colt SAA in .44SPL, and have taken quite a shine to it, since it plunks them big ole lead chunks right on point of aim at 15 yards. Want to get a carbine of the same cartridge persuasion.

Am considering the Browning BL-92 and the Rossi M-92. Both are .44Mag chambers. I don't expect to use magnum ammo in them, but am still concerned about the possiblity of lead build up from my soft lead Special loads in the false leade of the longer chamber. Am considering having 0.1 inch lopped off the breech end of the barrel and then have it set back the same distance, to make it a Special chambering.

What is your perspective of the necessity and utility of this plan? Are you aware of any 'smiths that specialize in this type of modification?
Old October 16, 1998, 10:26 AM   #2
Bill Mitchell
Staff Alumnus

Howdy Mykl,

The main concern with shooting .44 Special ammo in a .44 Mag chamber is
giong back to .44 mag rounds,for hunting or whatever. The lead buildup can be removed,but it's also possible that there could be pitting caused by hot gasses in
the chamber. Also,some rifles are sensitive to cartridge length,causing stove-piping and misfeeds.

I have a Rossi 92. With it's tapered barrel,cutting off the breech end and setting it back would also mean having the barrel rebedded. If you're only going to shoot .44 Specials in the rifle,then I don't think it's neccesary to do a cut back of the breech-just clean it with some lead remover after use.

I use an excellent gunsmith,and he can give you more info. <a href= http://www.mindspring.com/~hardtimes/fergie.htm > Fergie's Custom Gunshop </a> is a fully equipped shop. Check out his WWW site and drop him an email,and he'll give you his professional opinion.

Bill

[This message has been edited by Bill Mitchell (edited 10-16-98).]
Old October 17, 1998, 06:17 AM   #3
Trapdoor Billy

Mykl,

I'll throw in another option. Get a .44-40 cyl fitted to that Colt. Of the two rifles you mentioned, I use a Rossi, .44-40, love it.
Old October 17, 1998, 08:57 AM   #4
fal308
Staff Alumnus

I just use the magnum cases and download for my CAS loads for my Vaqueros and Marlin 1894. I got some 44 Russian brass that I thought about using (shorter than 44 Spec) but I haven't used it yet. Haven't had any problems yet in 3 years with my CAS loads.