The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old November 10, 2004, 05:21 AM   #1
sloanchey

colt authentication

I have a gun that looks to be a 38 cal. colt pre-1900s, but I am clueless when it comes to authenticating guns - I am going to be stereotypical female here and say that guns aren't really my thing. No comments on the female/gun issue, please, I'm also non polital! Ok, so it has a number starting with 3XXX under the barrel (is this the long part that the bullet exits?), has the colt mfg label on the top of the barrel with two cross like marks, has something unreadable and then Cal (caliber I assume) under the spinning bullet holder thingy. Sorry to be so technical. The handle is wood. The trigger (that one I know) is almost flat - doesn't jut out at all, but does fire, and it has a hammer that does cock. I can't get the round part to do anything like spin or release, but there is a button that pushes in and may need repair. Can anyone help? I have photos if you email me at [email protected]. If this is real, what would it be worth? Thanks... all apologies for my ignorance.
Old November 10, 2004, 07:13 AM   #2
maddoccanis

colt records

contact the colt company. they have records of every firearm they ever made if you have the serial number. take the gun to a gunsmith. there are books that give values, but you need to know how to asses the condition correctly. old colts can be pretty valuable....doc
Old December 24, 2004, 10:57 AM   #3
gunrunner

jsut curious did you get your gun looked at or do still need some help. sounds like a very early colt by the numbers but if you post some pics that will help.

Merry Christmas
Old December 24, 2004, 11:53 PM   #4
4V50 Gary
Staff

Your description of the gun is refreshing. "Spinning bullet holder thingy" so aptly describes the cylinder.

Are the markings something like + COLT'S PT. F.A. MFG. CO +
HARTFORD CT. U.S.A.

Is the tube that the bullet goes through shorter than 3"?

Is the cylindrical bullet holder capable of holding seven bullets that are less the 1/4" in diameter?

Bronze frame?

If yes to all of the above, you have a Colt Pocket .22 Revolver.

Now, if the cylindrical bullet holder thingy has only four holes and those holes are greater that 1/4" in diameter, you have the Colt's House Pistol.

Posting a pic would help. BTW, once you post those pics, I can give you more info. However, I can't tell you how much $$$ it's worth. I don't own a "Bluebook" on gun values.