The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old April 2, 2013, 01:33 PM   #1
Bob Walker

Taurus 990 vs. Smith 617

I made a post to the thread “Taurus Revolver Quality” detailing why I dumped a Taurus 990 after returning it 3 times. The trigger release on the 990 was excellent as is the Smith which it is much easier to cock. The sights on the Taurus were to my liking after the rear sight had been replaced. The Smith rear width to front width is tighter which makes target shooting more precise but the Taurus was better for plinking. The Smith grips seem to fit my hand better. The binding problem may have been fixed by the 3rd return but the .013” barrel to cylinder gap did not make me happy. There had never been a binding problem there as I measured .003 after the first time it froze. I believe it was related to the timing problem they reported fixing on 2 of the returns as it still had a slight timing problem. I imaging the Taurus will shoot fine for the new owner. His hands might get a little sooty. Although I took a pretty big $ hit but I am happy that I made the change.