The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 5, 2012, 07:16 PM   #1
enstorm

RCBS Little Dandy

I bought this measure with the No.10 rotor since the chart says it drops 6.9 grains of power pistol, the load I use for my .40s. I set it up and it isnt close, usually around 6.5 grains. The No. 11 rotor is rated at 7.5 grains for this powder, and it was generally right on the 6.9 grain mark. Am I messing something up?
Old March 6, 2012, 12:52 AM   #2
Scharfschuetzer

No, I don't think so.

I had one back in the early 80s and I had to buy several of the little powder drums in order to get the proper weight of powder for the various pistol loads that I was loading for. While the chart that came with it was close for me; it wasn't exact and it took some experimenting with a scale to get the proper drum for the charge I wanted.

Good move on your part to confirm the drum's throw with a scale before trusting it.
NRA Police Distinguished Expert
Old March 6, 2012, 03:42 AM   #3
old roper

enstorm, Here something for instruction I got with Little Dandy,

Warning. Keep in mnid volume/weight ratios may sometimes vary with different lots of same powder. Again check powder charge on an accurate powder scale before charging cases".
NRA Life Member
Old March 6, 2012, 06:06 AM   #4
sourdough44

There is a guy here 'Bailey Boat' from SC or so that sells an adjustable rotor for the little dandy powder measure. I have one & it works GREAT. I recently loaded up some 380acp rounds & I found the bottom of the adjustment, 3.2 grains of win 231. Most of my handgun charges are a bit higher, so no problem.

I would search out this member & ask about the adjustable rotor for the LD. It's a quality upgrade & greatly improves usefullness of the measure. It is very consistant with the powder drops once properly setup.
Old March 6, 2012, 09:36 AM   #5
F. Guffey

Yes, it has been a while since we have seen a round of commercials for the after market adjustable rotor, I thought it was about time for another round.

I could call RCBS and suggest a way to improve the design of the Little Dandy, but, we got a deal, when they need help, they will call.

F. Guffey
Old March 6, 2012, 09:41 AM   #6
F. Guffey

For pistol, the Little Dandy is my first choice, I start with the chart, choose the rotor, I do not start with a load then start looking for a rotor I do not have, on occasions I use the Little Dandy for rifle, instead of once, I rotate the rotor twice.

F. Guffey
Old March 6, 2012, 10:42 AM   #7
MADISON

RCBS Little Dandy Roters

I have been reloading since 1970.
I have the Hornady version, that requires roters. You need the complete
selection of roters. Most of what is published is short on what they
throw. You must try each one to get "as close" to what you want as
possible.
Old March 6, 2012, 05:28 PM   #8
SIGSHR

Yes variations-remember, we are dealing very tiny amounts-will appear, my experience with RCBS products has been that their quality control is excellent so manufacturing flaws can be ruled out.
I recall an article by Dean Grennell where he said he set his adjustable powder measures so that when 10 thrown loads weighed exactlly 10 times the load desired, the measure was correctly adjusted.