The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 8, 2000, 01:24 PM   #26
Josh

sensop: "I would have taken this to email, so as not to distract from the thread subject, but you've chosen to remain somewhat anonymous in your profile."

I did not place a e mail address because there is no need to. This is a reloading forum and the items that are placed here are for everyone to learn.

If I were to e mail you and we both share things we have learned over the years then what we have done is isolate others on this board.

sensop:Actually I have heard of it being done, but not as a "technique", as you call it, but as a way to try to correct a mistake."

I called it a technique for lack of a better term. The only reason this is done is to be certain that each and every round chambers without going through the hassle of checking each one in you gun. In competition people do everything they can think of to get an edge.

I agree with you that this is not a standard practice but only to put in your "little bag of tricks."

"Sorry if you felt put out by my comment.'

Not at all and hopefully you were not unhappy with my comments.

Hopefully we all can learn something here.

I know I have.
Old May 8, 2000, 02:02 PM   #27
Bud Helms

... that's fine, Josh.

[This message has been edited by sensop (edited May 08, 2000).]
Old May 8, 2000, 03:55 PM   #28
Steve Smith

I don't know what's going on with some folks here on the topic (looks like a totally different topic) with Josh and others. I dodn't even know who did what on that, so I won't step in. One of you suggested that I couldn't write. That may be correct. I see the problem so plainly, yet obviously, no one here sees it st all...and yes, I meant .012 vs .017 (thanks for that catch). I also note that I didn't point out that the cae is only too large where the bullet is. Sorry for getting too hasty. Anyway, the bottom line is this:
The AA brass is too thick to be spec (no, it's not military, but American Ammo brand), and when you insert a spec & chamfered .452 bullet into it, is stretches the case to fit, makeing the outside of the case over-spec. I'm sorry I haven't been as clear as I thought I was. If any of you are still convinced that I need to crimp it more, less or upside-down, please tell me your address, and I'll send you a #1 .452 bullet, #2 an AA case and I'll let you see it for yourself.
Old May 8, 2000, 07:40 PM   #29
Patrick Graham

Are you saying the "thickest or widest" point is at the top, where the bullet enters the case mouth? If so a heavy taper crimp should reduce the bulge. I believe all 45 acp die sets are taper crimp... I think.. If you have a roll crimp die.. get rid of it.

If a heavy taper crimp doesn't cure the problem then it could be a buldge somewhere else.... You wouldn't be able to chamber at all with a case mouth buldge.. If you are feeding 1/8 inch into the chamber before meeting resistance than the bulge is down the case a ways.. think about it..

I've never seen 45 acp brass that was too thick to be properly sized and taper crimped. I've even done it to ww2 steel cases.

Another clue.. you said you were having a problem with the location of the shell plate during priming.. If the shell holder and sizing die aren't concentric or true during resizing you will be resizing your brass off center..

[This message has been edited by Patrick Graham (edited May 08, 2000).]
Old May 10, 2000, 03:58 PM   #30
Steve Smith

Patrick, I'm convinced that you don't understand. Please send an address so that I may snd you a case and a bullet so that you can try this on your own.