The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 28, 2012, 07:42 PM   #1
thedaddycat

Made my first ammo.

Today I went over to my friend's house and we actually put together some ammo. Like a boob I forgot to bring the shell holder that I used with the .30-06 and 7mm Mauser brass, so those were not going to happen. There were a bunch of wheel gun cases good to go so we set up for .38 Special. He has a Lee turret press and the dies were already set up in an extra turret.

The brass was a mix of R-P and Winchester nickel plated .38 Special cases that had been tumbled and were very clean. The bullets were Barry's 158 grain copper plated FP. Powder was 3.5 grains of WST, a load he's made before.

I can see why a progressive press can be a handful. I was concentrating on each step one at a time and I still found myself checking and double checking things just to be sure I was getting it right. He did the first couple to make sure everything was set up correctly and then I took over. All told we made 82 loaded rounds. Here is how it turned out:

Old January 28, 2012, 08:22 PM   #2
savagelover

Thats great man----Thats the only way to go I think...If you have someone that knows.I mean really know what he is doing,he or she can teach you more than any forum can..Congradulations to you and happy shooting..Please be safe..
Old January 28, 2012, 10:28 PM   #3
Edward429451

Hey those look better than store bought ammo!
Old January 29, 2012, 12:09 AM   #4
frumious

They DO look good. Man, I'm a sucker for nickel cases. And the primers match too!

-cls