The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old April 23, 2011, 08:49 PM   #76
stonewall50

As I have been reading these discussions a few things are becoming clear. I am confident in my ability to judge if a dog is actually attacking or playing. You can actually tell how a dog's mood is by their bark. This is biological in humans(they have done studies). Of course this is EASIER for those of us who were raised around dogs(my dad is a vet and I have never had less than 5 dogs until I moved off to college[now]).

There is a point of which a dog can get "out of hand" in play mode. That does NOT warrant shooting the dog. Of course I am a full grown man who has a nasty hammerfist that words VERY well if used on a dog's nose. Now what should we as dog owners do knowing that some people are afraid of dogs? We should train them to understand someone standing fully upright is NOT playing. Dog's understand humans. They have been bred to do that. These kinds of cues are VERY easily taught. I suggest teaching them to your dog.

If you are AFRAID of dogs and you are not comfortable judging their attack vs play mode then I suggest you check out a local dog park from a safe distance(maybe in your car). Watch for signals like their hackles being raised OR their ears lowering. I also suggest you understand dog breeds. LITTLE dogs even if they ARE in attack mode...I mean I can punt a minpin or jack russel if I am worried it is going to maul me. It might be a little different with a 40lb dog who is dead set on taking my throat out. A hammerfist isn't going to cut it. IF you carry pepper spray that is also very effective. IF you carry a taser...well my father being a vet was called out to the interstate one time because cows had gotten loose and the police had it cornered and were going to have to shoot it(couldnt catch it), but someone had an idea and actually dropped a cow with a taser. It works.

I guess short version 1)Train your dogs(for those who have them) 2)Learn dog behavior. 3)Understand the threat from big vs little dogs. 4)If you are in a situation where a dog is a threat or in the process there are ways you can act BEFORE lethal force(aggresive dominant behavior). I have clubbed my share of dogs(THREATENING dogs...but I was young).
Old April 23, 2011, 08:54 PM   #77
MLeake

There's another thread going on about LEO training. A poster (TerryA, I believe) posted that an upside of more extensive training was that it bred competence, and from that competence came confidence, which helped with command presence and often served to make BG's think twice before starting anything. IE, better training leads to fewer confrontations, and those confrontations that do occur normally end in happier results for the good guys.

It's the same with dogs. More exposure and interaction with them provide higher comfort levels; comfort levels build confidence; dogs (like women - okay, men, too but women tend to rank it higher in surveys) respect confidence.

Learn to be an Alpha without getting out of control, and most dog problems will get resolved without need of ANY weapon.

There will always be that very small percentage that actually are truly aggressive. They are a different story, but again more exposure will help you to better recognize the dogs that really are threats.
Old April 24, 2011, 12:14 PM   #78
bearone2

if the dog isn't attacking me i really don't want to get charged with a firearms violation.

it's kinda like playing rambo in the recent tucson shooting, should i take a chance on a headshot at 25yds, when i'm not involved or leave it for le.
Old April 25, 2011, 12:51 PM   #79
dajowi

The most fearless, loathsome, dangerous, nastiest dog I've every encountered was Brownie - my grandmother's Miniature Mexican Chihuahua. Didn't have to shoot him, just booted him across the room. After that he didn't bother me.
Old April 25, 2011, 10:49 PM   #80
Big Yac

I was checking gas meters in a very bad part of town full of pitbulls, not being allowed to ccw I took to wearing a large can of bear mace, I never had to use it but felt comfort knowing I had it. Also, you said you were driving, instead of shooting the dog, why not swerve at it?
Old April 25, 2011, 11:13 PM   #81
grubbylabs

You people that put animals above humans make me sick. Its just a dog get over it. It all boils down to this, if you love your dog so much keep control over it and I wont shoot it.

Nope, the old nag's still dead .
(Capt Charlie)
Old April 26, 2011, 02:55 PM   #82
markj

The mail man delivers mail in the city, he carries pepper spray. Many get bit even with that.

Police are looking for a pit bull now in Omaha bit the face of a little girl. Owner took dog and is in hiding. Now if dog dont show I bet the girl will also have to undergo the shots for rabies as my brother did.

Bad stuff. Pet lovers will deny almost everything, look at the chimp took the face off that gal. Owner denied all. But she also stabbed the chimp trying to get it off her friend.

If you love your pet, keep it secure, dont let it run around. It may not bite someone but it may get hit by a car which is real bad.
Old April 27, 2011, 05:43 PM   #83
Mainah

Quote:
It's the same with dogs. More exposure and interaction with them provide higher comfort levels; comfort levels build confidence; dogs (like women - okay, men, too but women tend to rank it higher in surveys) respect confidence.

Learn to be an Alpha without getting out of control, and most dog problems will get resolved without need of ANY weapon.
You clearly know a lot about dogs, I respect that. I've owned many over the years, some that included breeds that require a lot of training and confidence. With all due respect I wouldn't expect a stranger to know how to assume alpha status over my dogs. That's why I'm always with my dogs if they're outside.

Quote:
There will always be that very small percentage that actually are truly aggressive. They are a different story, but again more exposure will help you to better recognize the dogs that really are threats.
I agree. But in the worst case scenario you have only seconds to make that determination, and in my experience the problem often occurs when you have you own dog or child to consider too. I wouldn't expect a stranger to risk his health if one of my dogs charged him on the street, it's my job to keep them under my complete control. If I can't, then I have failed them.
Old April 27, 2011, 06:07 PM   #84
MLeake

Mainah, you are right. Even so, I have had good luck or good reads to date. When I am older, or lose mobility, my defaults may change.

I still think sticks and sprays are safer for the neighbors, though.
Old April 28, 2011, 08:28 AM   #85
C0untZer0

I was walking on a sidewalk once and a group of young men were walking toward me and the young man in the lead had a pit bull on a very long lease - about a 8' leash. I stepped way off the sidewalk, actually almost 10 feet off the sidewalk. When the dog approached it was growling and straining at the lease to get to me and the group got near me the leader said "That was the smartest thing you ever did homes..."

To me this was a very clear threat.

If someone had made a similar threat by waving a firearm, it's obviously a crime and punishable. But using a dangerous animal in a similar way is much harder to prove that it was used in a threatening manner and the penalties are much less severe than threatening someone with a firearm.

I was in a city that had some of the very most restrictive firearms law in the nation and I was not carrying.

I actually wouldn't advocate carrying a firearm just so someone could stay on the sidewalk and see what played out... I would have gotten off the sidewalk whether I'd been carrying or not.

But when that pit bull was pulling on the lease to get to me, I was looking around for someplace to run, I've had dogs all my life and my German Shepherd once broke a leash just because she was happy to see my mom. So I know collars and leashes can break, and I was in this situation where there is this extremely powerful and vicious animal trying to get to me and the owner is chuckling about it and I have no place to run to.

When it was over I felt humiliated and victimized by that gang, and I felt angry. I also realized I was in a totally helpless situation and it happened so quickly. I just kept thinking "Man I wished I'd had my 9 on me..." Not out of anger to cow those punks or hurt the animal, it was just at that moment when I looked around and realized I had no where to run to if that kid let go of the leash or it broke, or slipped out of his hands or whatever... that was a bad feeling.
Old May 2, 2011, 05:50 PM   #86
Bleeber

Local law really does prevail. Also, local "enforcement". Where I live, it is illegal to let your dog outside without a leash (very strict leash law). However, more than half the houses in my neighborhood with dogs have invisible dog fence. Everyone lets their dog out without a leash. LEO's drive by and don't do anything. Neighbors don't say anything. I NEVER take my dogs outside without a leash. Just a responsible dog owner, I guess. I would never set my dogs up to fail. My dogs are trained extremely well, also. You never know...even the sweetest dog can bite/attack. It's only a matter of time before a dog strikes in my neighborhood. The only person who will win is the attorney pleading the leash law.
Old May 9, 2011, 11:44 AM   #87
couldbeanyone

I guess I will put in my two cents worth here. I work as a telephone technician, I am the guy who shows up when your phone or internet doesn't work, so I get to see and deal with lots and lots of dogs. Very often the owners aren't home or the dog is at a location other than the customers home. Telephone trouble can be anywhere between the customers home and the source miles away.
My experience with dogs is that shouting at or speaking to the dog doesn't help and usually makes the dog more excited. Can't tell you how many times people that couldn't be home have told me on the phone, "the dogs name is Sparky, just call him by his name and it will be ok." How many times has calling the dog by his name helped? Zero. So, remain silent, verbalizing will only amp the dog up. If the dog will respond to verbalizations, it was never a threat in the first place.
If a dog charges aggressively toward you, stand up straight, chest out, facing almost directly at it but at a very slight angle. Take one step and only one step toward the dog. Look at the dog, but do not look into its eyes directly or stare it down. Do NOT verbalize. Important, head up, chest out. Try to remain clam and project an aura of calm power. When you do this, watch the dogs demeanor, 99.9% of the time you will see a change in its attitude. Usually you will see its hindquarters drop slightly or a change in ear position as it slows its approach. If you do, what I have said and the dog doesn't alter his approach or aspect, you are probably in deep doo doo and all options should be on the table.
If the dog does alter its approach, you very probably don't have a truly viscious dog on your hands. However, you aren't out of the woods yet. Never turn your back on a dog that has charged you, it will try to bite you the moment your back is turned. Try to remain calm, don't try to leave immediately, stay facing the dog for a minute, then slowly calmly back away while still remaining in an upright assertive posture. Always face the dog. Once you get backed away far enough the dog will usually disengage and you can then leave.
If you are charged by more than one dog at the same time, you are in deep doo doo. Dogs are pack hunters and one of them will try to get behind you and attack you from behind while the other keeps you distracted from the front.
Pepper spray is good and I have used it on several dogs to good effect. That being said, you can't count on it, as I have seen a couple of dogs that acted like I was spraying them with candy for all the effect it had.
As for hitting one with a stick, good luck. Try hitting a cattle dog with a stick. These things are fast beyond belief and have been bred to avoid the kicking hooves of cattle. Getting a good hit with pepper spray is hard enough.
I have not found most pit bulls or rotties to be particularly viscious, but due to their size and power you have to nonetheless be especially carefull of the big breeds. I hope this helps. It has worked for me. Your mileage may vary. Good luck.

Last edited by couldbeanyone; May 9, 2011 at 12:05 PM.
Old May 9, 2011, 02:47 PM   #88
chadstrickland

First of all I live in the country..only house on my road..and I don't have a dog...always wanted one of those timber wolves ...but I greww up playing with them..rough rolling around letting dogs chew on me..similar to what someone had said earlier in the thread with no cops showing up at the ending...I have had several dogs run up to me growling..but I knew they w as bluffing...funny enough though..I have never seen a little dog bluff they always try to sink there little teeth into you..but they dnt even require kicking...harmless really..and if I was walking down the street in town and somones dog came running at me I dnt think my .45 would be the answer I would have my knife at the ready but I know the dog would probably get a few feet away and just growl slobber and try to tell me who the tough guy is lol..and it wouldn't bother me..but I would have been prepared ...now the same situation ..im walkin down the street with my little 5 year old niece and a 40+ pound dog comes running up at us growling and such I would shoot it when it got about 8 feet away...I wouldnt put her life in danger $250000.00 or not...and the owner callin the cops is cool with me..him raising hell is cool with me but the 8 feet rule applies to him as well and I would let him know that...I love dogs...love my neice more..I would never forgive myself if one of the dogs I used to have ran up and killed some little girl...and I would be sad for the loss of my dog..but happy the child is safe..now if someone was walking in my yard which they have no business here in the first place and shot my future wolf then I would in turn shoot the dude..I live out in the boodocks..it would be different if I lived in the city....
Two weapons that was designed by the same man still in use by the us military 100 years later...1911 and m2...is there anything that comes close.....lol annd maybe perhaps a sig sauer p226 tac ops edition..
Old May 30, 2011, 01:14 AM   #89
Brandon.Glidden

In florida if that dog was aggressively biting another person, youd be justified in using deadly force against the dog.
Old May 30, 2011, 01:24 AM   #90
amprecon

Point......Click
"Cause I got nothin' better to do."
Old May 30, 2011, 01:53 AM   #91
C0untZer0

OK, the cow almost getting tazered made me go look on YouTube and

Ta Daa !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Px_N2...eature=related

Bull get tazered.