The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old November 8, 2007, 03:37 PM   #1
jtaylor

Allaint "American Select" for .45lc?

Has anyone here tried Alliant's "American Select" powder in .45lc? I've eonly ever used Unique and real BP ( Goex or homemade).
Unique works well enough, I load 8.5g loads and they're fairly powerful and very accurate, but it's still very dirty. I'm interested in giving something else a try soon.
For those who load real BP: What would you say is the cleanest available? Goex is filthy and has alot of fouling and slag, they're not using quality charcoal. I haven't tried Swiss, but heard it's good.
This is from the Alliant website:

Our newest "ultra clean" burning premium powder makes a versatile target load and superior 1-oz. load for improving clay target scores. Great for Cowboy Action handgun loading, too!
Old November 9, 2007, 07:27 AM   #2
sundance44s

When I load smokeless powder in my 45 colt loads , I use 5.8 grs of Trail Boss powder and a 250 gr laser cast bullet CCI large pistol primmers , and its one of the cleanest loads I`ve used ...I dropped the charge down to 5.0 grs of powder with the same results . The TrailBoss wasn`t burning this clean when I was useing Winchester large pistol primmers ...I switched to CCI primmers because of the price increase on the Winchester primmers ..It was a good change . I still like the Winchester brass best because it`s easyer to size .
Old November 9, 2007, 11:04 AM   #3
jtaylor

Huh, interesting about the primer. The CCI must be hotter and have better ignition. I'm using up the last of my Winchester LP primers now, they haven't worked too well for me. I bought one pack of Remington large Pistol primers and they're much better and seem cleaner like you noticed with CCI.
I may either buy a brick of Rem or Federal primers soon. Does trail boss meter well? From what I read on American Select, it's much faster than Unique and loads for 45lc are 5-7grains. It's bad enough with Unique when I load 8.5g, it's hard to see it in the case.
I'll either stick with Unique, or try Trail boss.
Old November 9, 2007, 12:03 PM   #4
sundance44s

The TrailBoss meters real good in my Lee Equipment ...I`ve never used the Federal Primmers ...Like to hear how they do . I don`t know why the sudden increase in the price of Winchester primmers here . But ..the CCI`s were 2.29 vs 2.69 for the Winchesters . I uasually buy my primmers by the brick too, they are a little cheaper that way ....and around here they will get used ..
Every little bit helps trying to make the colt 45 shoot cleaner ....I couldn`t beleive the difference in the blowback just from changeing primmer brands. Another case of the most expencive isn`t always the best .
Old November 19, 2007, 10:49 PM   #5
rob_helms

Here is some data I derived in a Winchester Model 94 Rifle with a 24” barrel.

Starline 45 Colt Cases, WLP primers, 200gn Lead SWC bullet

American Select Powder

4.5gr 715fps

5.0gr 761fps

5.5gr 861fps

6.0gr 907fps

6.5gr 1038fps

I didn’t have a revolver to test with. I am also using American Select in .41 Magnum. .45ACP, and .40 S&W. In light loads, such as the ones shown above, American Select is Very Dirty !