The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 13, 2006, 07:44 AM   #1
Stan_TheGunNut

45 Colt reloads

I'm getting into Cowboy shooting, and have two 45 Colt pistols (Beretta Stampedes), and a 45 Colt rifle (Marlin). I'd like to find a load that I can use in both the pistols and the rifle. This would make it easier for me to reload, and keep me from mixing them up at the range. I've aquired ~1000 200 grain LRN bullets. I also have quite a bit of Unique powder. My reloading book (Lyman 47th ed)doesn't have a recipe using these components.

A mid range load is what I'm after. I don't want my guns to blow up, but I don't want the bullet to drop to the ground a foot in front of the barrel. Can anyone point me to a good reference, or have any suggestions?

Thanks
Old August 14, 2006, 10:42 AM   #2
Sport45

Go to Alliant's website. Shows 7.5 to 9.0 grains. You have to look under "Cowboy Action."

200gr RNFP and Unique
Old August 14, 2006, 06:38 PM   #3
maxwayne

I have shot 7.5 of Unique and a cast 200 gr swc without any problems. Light recoil and accurate.
Old August 14, 2006, 08:22 PM   #4
ScottsGT

Trail Boss, Trail Boss, Trail Boss!

Trail Boss, Trail Boss, Trail Boss!
It is DESIGNED for the .45LC since the .45LC was originally loaded with black powder, a charge or modern smokeless powder won't fill up the case, and can sometimes cause problems. The new Trail Boss is a light "fluffy" donut shaped powder that will fill a case over halfway and still be around 800fps. Check out the thread over on THR in the "Reloading" section. Great discussion on it.
Old August 14, 2006, 10:26 PM   #5
BigJakeJ1s

+1 for Trail Boss!

Andy