The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old April 17, 2011, 06:15 PM   #26
threegun

Quote:
I gotta tell ya guys...if the neighborhood is getting so bad that you have to be concerned every moment that someone or something is going to come busting thru the door/window, it is definitely time to move. A man's home is his castle and thus should not become his prison. My house is my retreat where I can feel safe...don't confuse this with complacent. I have a state of the art Alarm System, a 4 legged early warning system, and live in a very small gated community where someone or something out of place is immediately noticed. Almost everyone has a dog and when they all start barking at 3 AM, everyone is out of their beds and investigating.

I, too, keep a loaded gun on my person at all times and there are indeed guns hidden about the house but I don't worry about going to the mail box trying to decide if I should take my AR or Shotgun.
If a single group of armed perps begins to hit an area, should I move? Deal with the threat until it is no longer a threat then resume normalcy. In your case normalcy involves always carrying a sidearm. Should you move because you think it is bad enough to warrant a sidearm all the time? I know folks who feel so safe at home that they don't carry anything while at home.
Old April 17, 2011, 07:11 PM   #27
2damnold4this

Moving isn't in the cards right now. I also can't afford to buy another firearm at this time.

I did go shooting today and patterned the shotgun with four buckshot loads. Two were Remington #1 buck, one was S&B 00 buck and the last was S&B's #4 buck. I was surprised at how quickly they spread with all being at least 15" to 20" at 10 yards. I think I'm gonna stick with the Mini since I'd rather not spray buckshot into a neighbor's house. Most of the homes here are brick and the one directly across the street is unoccupied. There are kids living in the only nearby house that isn't brick, so I'd better be careful. Hornady's 55 grain TAP did fine in the Mini. I can hit multiple targets much quicker with the Mini than I can with the 870 probably because of my lack of practice with the shotgun.

I did learn a bit more about the home invasions. The last two took place late in the evening or early morning hours. People who were outside their residences were forced inside at gun point. The first home invasion seems to have been an attack on a drug dealing acquaintance of one of the robbers.

It's not practical to tote a rifle on my back while mowing or gardening here in the subdivision but knowing more about the robberies makes me think that the criminals aren't likely to strike during the day. If I'm wrong, I'll have to rely on the G26 if caught outside.
Old April 17, 2011, 07:56 PM   #28
Sport45

Quote:
People who were outside their residences were forced inside at gun point.
Carry your CCW all the time. Have the wife lock the doors while you're outside. If someone tries to force you inside at gunpoint put up a fight and don't go inside. You are the perimeter defense and letting armed adversaries into the house is the last thing you want. The wife can barricade in the house to protect the daughter.

Time is on your side. The last thing these guys want is a long confrontation outside the house where anyone can see and respond.
Old April 17, 2011, 08:24 PM   #29
Nnobby45

Quote:
We've had some recent home invasions near our neighborhood and they've got me thinking that I might not be adequately prepared. It seems these three well armed criminals like to catch people outside their homes and force their way in at gun point. My daily carry piece is a G26 inside the right front pocket and that seems less than desirable against three guys with some of them carrying long guns
That was, and still may be, a favorite tactic of crimminals in RSA (S. Afr.) Often dressed in a nice suit, a carjacker robs people as they arrived home in their driveways.

Don't know whether most culminate in a car jacking or home invasion (which also means rape)--or maybe both, but in our country, a home invasion would be the likely result with bank accounts being the target as well as home valuables.

Crimminals in Latin America now grab people off the street and drive around to various ATM's cleaning out bank accounts. They cruise looking for people.

And some more sophisticated gangs select their victims more carefully and Xfer money from the victims' accounts to theirs via lap top. The victims don't usually survive.

Not to get side tracked with crime in foreign countries, but we're seeing more of that kind of stuff here, also, and we'll see more in the future..
Old April 17, 2011, 11:03 PM   #30
Onward Allusion

Quote:
2damnold4this
Moving isn't in the cards right now. I also can't afford to buy another firearm at this time.
You already have a Glock 26. If you haven't already, get a few Glock 17 or 19 mags and wear the 26 on your person along with a full mag pouch.
Old April 18, 2011, 08:15 AM   #31
AH.74

Quote:
I then hit the garage door opener, and the guy walked around and entered my garage within 20 feet of me. He then reached for his back pocket, and I drew on him. He almost wet and soiled his pants!
I don't get it. Rather than addressing this from inside the home where you were safe, you go out to meet the stranger late at night and expose yourself to danger. He also gets to see everything in your garage when you opened the door. Did you know for sure he was alone? What if he hadn't been, and there had been someone else waiting?

Did you at least report the incident to the police, since you actually drew your gun on him?
Old April 18, 2011, 10:51 AM   #32
2damnold4this

Quote:
If you haven't already, get a few Glock 17 or 19 mags and wear the 26 on your person along with a full mag pouch.
I do have a few G17 and one G19 magazines. Perhaps I could carry one or two in a pouch in my left side pocket.
Old April 18, 2011, 08:13 PM   #33
Nnobby45

OK, did the poor guy get to park his truck on your property?
Old April 18, 2011, 08:31 PM   #34
mnero

mowing the lawn strapped with a mini 14I'm going back to the mountains; there all ya have to worry about are the dang game wardens.
Old April 18, 2011, 08:48 PM   #35
oneounceload

You have SIX dogs and you're worried?......sounds like a good excuse to get different dogs...............you have to worry more about drunk UGA fans in Athens than anything else

really, you carry a G26 in your pocket? Tell me how - at 6'3" I haven't found ANY garment that doesn't print

around windows - pea gravel and thorny bushes do the trick, otherwise motion lights etc, good dogs -vall work
Old April 18, 2011, 09:44 PM   #36
Nnobby45

Quote:
mowing the lawn strapped with a mini 14I'm going back to the mountains; there all ya have to worry about are the dang game wardens.
Why would you worry about Game Wardens?

Last edited by Nnobby45; April 19, 2011 at 08:12 PM.
Old April 18, 2011, 09:49 PM   #37
2damnold4this

I don't think drunk UGA fans are responsible for the troubles we've been having lately.

It's not hard to carry a G26 in a pocket so long as you aren't dressing too tight. While it is obvious that something is in my pocket, the holster I use makes a square outline.

I expect the two Chihuahua mixes, the hound and the big mutt will give me warning if someone tries to break in the house. The other two dogs aren't going to be useful for warning or protection. The thing I was worried about most was a group approaching while I was outside but they only seem to be doing that late at night.
Old April 18, 2011, 10:18 PM   #38
Cruncher Block

First do everything possible to make your home an unattractive target: Lighting, dogs, good deadbolts with plate screws that go deep.

After that, I'd personally grab the Mini 14 over the 870 if all else failed. However, I would probably choose something other than ball ammo and I would make sure the rifle is reliable with it.

This will probably re-launch another carbine vs. shotgun debate. I've thought through it carefully, done some research, and decided the carbine is a better choice for me. Others will probably disagree. They aren't going to change my mind and I doubt I'll change theirs.
Old April 18, 2011, 10:57 PM   #39
Sport45

Quote:
This will probably re-launch another carbine vs. shotgun debate.
Probably not. I think this is more of a tactics debate than a tools debate. Use whatever floats your boat.
Old April 19, 2011, 12:53 AM   #40
Dr. Strangelove

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2damnoldforthis
I don't think drunk UGA fans are responsible for the troubles we've been having lately.
Nope, that's more parking in your yard, peeing on your bushes, puking on everything, then leaving a bunch of trash everywhere.

I'm innocent of three of the four above offenses, but I will pee on anything that will stand still long enough... Go Dawgs!

2damnoldforthis, Shoot me a PM if you need a free, uncrowded, safe range to shoot on.
Old April 19, 2011, 07:16 AM   #41
mnero

It was a joke nobby, although I have known a subsistance hunter who was arrested for poaching cause he took a deer just 200 yards off his property, but it was a joke. I guess if you are just looking for something in everyones post to complian about, you won't have any trouble finding something. We are a nation of 350 million, rather diverse souls; sorry I am from the mountains and may have different experiences and opinions then a 'flat lander'
Old April 19, 2011, 03:21 PM   #42
FireForged

I am not going to carry a firearm when I am at home. That is not to say that I dont have one close at hand but I am not going to walk around like a armed sentinel when I am trying to be at peace. That being said, my Wife and I have a plan. We pay attn to what is happening around our home and we look out for each other. We also network and communicate well with neighbors we trust. We each have specific jobs during a crisis and we know what they are.

We have dogs and they are one of the most important protections that we have. Not for attack purposes but for a warning alarm. We have always had large herding dogs because they are very very vigliant after dark and naturally alert to threats vocally.

We do have a good alarm, lighting system and landscape design that works against would-be prowlers. lastly, we have the house guns.
Old April 19, 2011, 03:25 PM   #43
9mm

If you need a rifle/shotgun to check your mail then it times to move. If you need a handgun to go to your mail box, thats every day safety.
Old April 19, 2011, 08:20 PM   #44
Nnobby45

Quote:
It was a joke nobby, although I have known a subsistance hunter who was arrested for poaching cause he took a deer just 200 yards off his property, but it was a joke. I guess if you are just looking for something in everyones post to complian about, you won't have any trouble finding something.
Didn't comment on any one's post but yours, but point taken. I've changed the post to a more friendly reply since you were just joking.
Old April 19, 2011, 09:34 PM   #45
440SAW

We've had home invasions here as well; the worst. Wife and daughter are getting training. Different arms at different locations within the home.
Carry always on or close; but I am one of those that think it should remain a surprise to the BG; never let them get too close but close enough to know intent.
Have a plan if they do get in the house: where does everyone go: to a location where the BGs have to come in and be met with enough force to cause them to withdraw quickly; those that are left if any.
Prey it never happens. Never drop anyone if they are taking things or leaving; that is the goal for them to leave and remember this is no place to come back to.
You will have to live with the results in any case and in the right or wrong it ain't so easy as some think. The BG is the one to cross the line; you are just the consequence. That makes the line an easy thing to watch.