The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old February 18, 2001, 10:38 AM   #1
Guyon

Anybody use them? I was thinking about ordering a dozen or so from here:
http://store.yahoo.com/electronetdis...123alitba.html

12 for about $28 (that includes shipping) seems like a great deal. However, I've never heard of Sanyo batteries. Should I just stick with Duracells, or are the Sanyos good batteries too?
Old February 18, 2001, 01:36 PM   #2
Rinspeed

Guyon, As far as I can tell they are just as
good as the Duracells or the Energizer EL123.
I do have the P61 lamp assembly in my 6Z so
run time is not big concern of mine. I just
try to keep a few extras on hand. If you are
not on Botach's e-mail list I would suggest
it as they put both the Sanyo and Energizer
on sale for $1.50-$2.00 a piece every other
month or so.
Old February 20, 2001, 12:07 AM   #3
Coronach

Ditto. Sanyos seem to work just as well as Duracells. No, this is not a scientific analysis...just seems to be that way.

Mike

"True pacifism is the finest form of manliness. But if a man comes up to you and cuts your hand off, you don't just offer him the other one. Not if you want to go on playing the piano, you don't." -Sam Peckinpah

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." -Robert Heinlein
Old February 20, 2001, 08:36 AM   #4
Double Naught Spy

You know, Consumer Reports did a piece on batteries last year or the year before. It dealt with store brands versus name brands. As it turned out, many of the store brand batteries could actually be identified as being from name brand manufacturers and some of the name brands are really just the same product packaged under a different name.

I would guess that Sanyo, an electronics company, may not actually produce the batteries. I don't know for certain, but I would guess they are made by some other company. That being said, I have used them in my Scorpions and they have performed fine.
Old February 20, 2001, 10:05 PM   #5
Kevlarman

I use the Sanyo batteries in my Streamlight Scorpion, and they seem to work just fine - about the same running time as the Duracell Ultras.

BTW, Sanyo is one of the leaders in the battery industry, especially Ni-Cds.