The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 15, 2010, 02:06 PM   #1
Bella

Redhead

After some recent threads here about 28 gauge shotguns I think I want one. I was at a major gun store yesterday. I was looking at the over and under 28 gauge shotguns. At first I saw the bargain imports and the expensive Italian models. The fancy ones are out of my budget and the cheap imports are of dubious quality. Then I was shown a shotgun that splits the difference price wise.

The gun I saw was a CZ Redhead over and under in 28 gauge. It is a beautiful shotgun. I can afford this one. Who knows anything about the quality of this paricular brand of shotguns? It spilts the difference in price, but what is the quality like?

The same store also had Winchester 28 gauge target loads for under ten bucks. They had a shelf full of them. So I don't think will be such a big deal.
Old October 15, 2010, 02:30 PM   #2
BigJimP

I think all of the CZ shotguns are being made in Turkey.

I hear people are having decent luck with them / they are priced pretty inexpensively ...so I understand the attraction. But honestly, I think you have to put them with the "rest of the imports" ....probably better than some / but still questionable ...in terms of whether they will stand up to 25,000 shells without any issues.

If $ 10 for a box of shells isn't going to bother you ...it might be worth a chance / hard to tell .../ but remember, shooting a 20ga with 3/4oz loads is balistically the same as a 28ga .... I really like a 28ga / shoot mine a lot ...but often discussed on here is the price point of the Brownings and Beretta's / and how much gun you get for your money. You have to ask yourself - what CZ did to get that gun to get it to market almost $1,000 under the offerings from Beretta and Browning ...like the Browning Lightning models ( which are not fancy / selling for around $ 1,750 in 28ga ) ...

http://www.browning.com/products/cat...tning-firearms

I know the Browning Citori Lightning series is a 100,000 shell gun - with no major issues ....but no way for any of us to tell you what the CZ might / or might not be. I also don't know where you would have to send it for service ( but hardly any retailers provide service ) - and I don't know if parts are available or not.
Old October 18, 2010, 10:21 PM   #3
bigwrench

If your not set on a double, check out Ithica's new 37 in 28. Made on a new 28 sized reciever it is a verry nice pump gun.
Old October 18, 2010, 11:37 PM   #4
zippy13

A word about the Ithaca 37 in 28-ga, and for all 28-ga stick guns in general. If you think you may get into re-loading, then you may be happier with the O/U. I don't know how many .410-bore and 28-ga reloads I seen with slightly mushroomed crimps. I've watched shooters "screw" them into their O/Us, with no problems, or have them jamb in their stick guns. The ability to digest all manner of reloads is an often overlooked advantage of hinge guns.

Last edited by zippy13; October 19, 2010 at 09:24 AM.
Old October 19, 2010, 10:14 AM   #5
BigJimP

Zippy's right - about shooting reloads / especially if you buy a budget priced reloader, that doesn't resize the shell. But it is possible to reliably shoot re-loads in any style of action / semi-auto included - if you setup your loader properly and make sure it is resizing properly....

But I see guys every week - with poor reloads - because they just don't pay attention to their loaders / or clean and lube them properly ....and just crank out shells with plus or minus 5 or 6 grains of powder ( in a 14gr load ) based on what one shooter was telling me last week - when I questioned why his shells sounded so different, shell to shell ( and it was a 12ga ) --( and he said he had over 200 boxes of these shells to go thru )...:barf: I can't imagine what kind of issues that guy would have in 28ga or .410 reloads....