The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 19, 2009, 12:22 PM   #1
raddoc

Does using the Lee depriming/sizing die BEFORE cleaning the case ruin the die??

I'm confused. My lee kit has the full length resizing die with the depriming punch, but I don't want to scratch the die using uncleaned brass. But...in order to clean the brass, I've got to deprime it first. What do you guys do?

thanks,

doc
Old February 19, 2009, 12:30 PM   #2
Doby45

If you MUST deprime prior to cleaning use a universal depriming/decapping die. That way all you are doing is depriming. Why are you not simply cleaning the brass with the primers in?
Old February 19, 2009, 12:56 PM   #3
45Marlin carbine

if you don't have a tumbler use the Lee trim shell holder to spin brass by drill and burnish w/fine steel wool. you need the holder and trim anyway, to trim to length after a few firings. don't forget case neck brush and chamfer tool.
range pick-ups I always wash first to get any dirt/crud off.
Old February 19, 2009, 01:02 PM   #4
Doby45

That would be assuming that he is working with rifle brass. I would not trim and chamfer pistol brass. It would also appear that he has a tumbler and was simply under the impress that he must deprime prior to cleaning, which is not the case.

I tumble my brass with primers in and with a mix of walnut and corn cobb and a cap of Nu-Finish car polish and they come out uber clean and slickery
Old February 19, 2009, 01:03 PM   #5
zxcvbob

It's much harder to ruin (scratch) a carbide die than you would think. More likely you will scratch some of your brass if they are gritty.

I just deprimed a bunch of .38 Special brass last night; I used a .45 Colt die. That way the die didn't touch the brass. (this brass was already cleaned and polished, I just didn't want to size it yet)
Old February 19, 2009, 01:14 PM   #6
raddoc

thanks for the help guys.

I'm liking the walnut shell / corn cob tumbler media may I'll try some pistachios

doc
Old February 19, 2009, 01:50 PM   #7
Alleykat

Why deprime prior to cleaning? I never have, and I've loaded several hundred thousand rounds.
Old February 19, 2009, 02:11 PM   #8
raddoc

Just making sure the primer pocket is extra clean (even though I go over it again with a pocket cleaning tool), plus I wasn't too keen on the spent resorcinol from the primers mixing around with my tumbled brass...Just being extra cautious I guess

doc
Old February 19, 2009, 02:31 PM   #9
Alleykat

Quote:
plus I wasn't too keen on the spent resorcinol from the primers mixing around with my tumbled brass...Just being extra cautious I guess
Nope, just making an issue when no issue exists!
Old February 19, 2009, 02:46 PM   #10
PCJim

Raddoc, if straightwalled brass, tumble then reload. If bottlenecked brass, tumble, lube and FL resize/deprime, then tumble again (15 minutes) to remove the lube, then reload after making sure your flash holes are clear.

Many reloaders who primarily load on a progressive press use a single stage/turret press for the initial FL resize/deprime on bottleneck cases. If you are one of them, pick up a universal deprimer for station one on the progressive to insure the flash hole is clear.
Old February 19, 2009, 03:14 PM   #11
Jayhawkhuntclub

You guys tumble between every time reloading? I usually tumble when they get or look dirty.
Old February 19, 2009, 03:21 PM   #12
CrustyFN

Quote:
You guys tumble between every time reloading? I usually tumble when they get or look dirty.
I do, and I tumble with the primers in.
Rusty
Old February 19, 2009, 03:22 PM   #13
Doby45

Yheap, sure do. takes no time to drop some brass in the tumbler and let it do its thing.
Old February 19, 2009, 03:35 PM   #14
totalloser

I can see where the OP is coming from trying to limit exposure to primer dust, but really we should be washing our hands anyway after loading and handling ammo, and before touching food/surfaces/mouth etc.

Something worth considering, however, is that if you decap and THEN tumble, you likely will find the occasional walnut piece stuck in the flash hole.
Old February 19, 2009, 03:36 PM   #15
PCJim

As do I. Tumbling keeps everything clean. Load the tumbler, plug in the timer and, as Ron Popiel says, "Set it and forget it".
Old February 19, 2009, 09:22 PM   #16
Inspector3711

I tumble every time but I don't clean primer pockets anymore. I uniform them and deburr them once and then I'm done with them. I haven't noticed any ill effects yet.
Old February 19, 2009, 09:33 PM   #17
bluetopper

If it's a concern with you, just wash the brass first as I do with the old primer in.
I usually wait till I have a gallon or so of brass in a container them put them in a bucket with dishwashing liquid and hot water then pour them from one bucket to another a few times. Rinse and let dry outside.
Old February 19, 2009, 10:30 PM   #18
raddoc

thanks for the advice guys,

doc
Old February 22, 2009, 11:44 PM   #19
warnerwh

I only tumble when the brass looks dirty. After thousands and thousands of rounds I've had zero problem with anything including my carbide dies. This is assuming you're using a carbide sizing die and not a steel die, Lee makes both.