The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Closed Thread

Old December 12, 2015, 06:37 AM   #1
johnelmore

My Personal Experience and Opinion: Do Not Trust The Police

Ive had some personal experiences lately and the title of this post describes my exact thoughts on the matter. I dont want to get into any details, but the one sentence which describes my thoughts are "Do not trust the police." Keep in mind this is just my own personal experience and opinion on the matter based on a very few encounters. It should not be taken as expert advice, but if this was a Yelp review than the title of that review would be "Do not trust the police."

My personal opinion is that any encounter where you find yourself alone in a room with an officer should not take place without an attorney even if you believe you are totally right. Whether you are a witness, a victim of a crime or the one who did it, no interviews with the police should take place without an attorney. Lets say the officer wants you to make a written statement, a recorded statement, etc. about anything. Stop right there. Go get an attorney before any statements.

An attorney can be expensive. I would say it might cost you 1000 dollars for what seems like a simple matter. Believe me, that is a 1000 dollars well spent. Even though it seems like an attorney is not doing any work they are very experienced with the matters just like a surgeon. One wrong statement with the police could mean jail time for you. It could mean a permanent spot on the mugshots.com.

Which attorney? Honestly any attorney is better than none. The attorney right across from the police station or courthouse. There is Yelp and other review websites. I trust you would do your research in getting an attorney especially with the internet, but I personally would feel better with any attorney than none at all. Actually the attorneys who place themselves across from the courthouse probably have a lot of experience with their geography. I wouldnt mind walking into their office if thats what I had to do, but most likely I would look at reviews and other information on the internet first.

Here are some sample situations where I would get an attorney:

- I was the victim of a substantial crime and wanted to report it to the police.
- A detective calls me on the phone or shows up at my door asking questions.
- I am called as a witness in a major case.
- Any situation where you find yourself in a room alone with the police.

Do not consider my post here as expert advice. I am not an expert or a professional on these matters. Consider this post as a review and critique based on personal experiences. Tread carefully before you make that call or that visit to the police station. The only acceptable encounter with police in my mind is one with an attorney present.

Spending hundreds or thousands on an attorney might seem wasteful to the lay person, but after my experiences I would say its totally worth it to swipe that card and make payments over months if thats what you have to do.

Lets say you want to report something to the police but dont want to get an attorney. Why should you report it at all? If you dont want to spend the money or involve an attorney in the matter its probably not worth reporting in the first place. Quite honestly I would not report something to the police if I didnt feel like an attorney should be involved. Again just my non professional opinion and not expert advice.

Lastly, while some professionals might disagree with me on the matter keep in mind about the protesters outside some notable police departments. They are there for a reason and that reason is because they have reached my personal conclusion and that is...do not trust the police.

I know Ive made some posts in the past on this controversial issue, but I felt with my current experiences I needed to make this post. Thanks for taking my personal opinion into consideration on the matter. I hope I have been helpful on the matter and clearly its a topic that should be discussed and debated.

Last edited by johnelmore; December 12, 2015 at 06:52 AM.
Old December 12, 2015, 07:04 AM   #2
OldMarksman
Staff

Much of what you say makes some sense, but not this.
Quote:
Lastly, while some professionals might disagree with me on the matter keep in mind about the protesters outside some notable police departments. They are there for a reason and that reason is because they have reached my personal conclusion and that is...do not trust the police.
Many of the protesters in our town last year came from elsewhere and were paid. That has been true all over the country.

I would not wait to report a major crime--or a crime of less severity--to the police.

I would add this: The police are there do do a job. We pay them. They have no reason going in to trust you, either. None.
Old December 12, 2015, 07:44 AM   #3
johnelmore

I dont know the origin of the protesters. I dont know if they were paid or not. However, after the last few days, my honest feeling is that I should stand outside with them holding a sign to help them out. Their cause is not specifically my own, but what they are talking about comes down to respect and rights. In that regard, I agree with them in a general sense.

The various different groups and parties may differ in opinion on many things, but all of them have been biten by the police department in some odd way. Whether it be a firearms owner who was rightfully defending themselves finding themselves behind bars or a non-firearms related matter. We all want respect and rights from the police. The people outside with the signs feel they are not getting that. Keep in mind, firearms owners will one day be outside with their signs too and its not a matter of if, but when.
Old December 12, 2015, 07:54 AM   #4
TXAZ

Sorry to hear that. If you think about it, cops are in a funny position when someone reports a crime. What is the truth? It's one of at least 4 sides to every story.
There are great cops and there are others. Let's hope your next experience is more positive.

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old December 12, 2015, 07:57 AM   #5
OldMarksman
Staff

So, John--let me see if I understand you.

You say that you feel that each of the protestors, whether they have been flown in from activist groups or university campus classes rare criminals with long records who shoe up at protests after looting and/or burning, has been "bitten" by "the police department" in some odd way.

Do you have any basis for that opinion?
Old December 12, 2015, 08:34 AM   #6
jabba21

I'm confused. Are you saying I should or should not trust the police?
Old December 12, 2015, 09:01 AM   #7
OldMarksman
Staff

Quote:
I'm confused. Are you saying I should or should not trust the police?
John's post could not have been more clear.
Old December 12, 2015, 10:12 AM   #8
Double Naught Spy

So let's get this right...your personal experience involve no actual recounting of your personal experience? That is called your unsubstantiated personal opinion.

Quote:
My personal opinion is that any encounter where you find yourself alone in a room ... Stop right there. Go get an attorney before any statements.
Why? You keep harping on this with zero justificaiton.

Quote:
Lets say you want to report something to the police but dont want to get an attorney. Why should you report it at all? If you dont want to spend the money or involve an attorney in the matter its probably not worth reporting in the first place. Quite honestly I would not report something to the police if I didnt feel like an attorney should be involved. Again just my non professional opinion and not expert advice.
Why not report it? You haven't given any reason other than you don't trust the police and you wouldn't do it.

There are a lot of things that should be reported to the cops that are not worth the time or hassle of getting an attorney. Don't be ridiculous.

Quote:
Do not consider my post here as expert advice.
Definitely nobody should, espeically because you provided no justification.

So the bottom line here is that you claim to have a personal experience and from that you are offering advice that nobody trust the police. Why should we trust your unsubstantiated opinion to not trust the police?

Quote:
Well if protestors do it, then it must be right.
Old December 12, 2015, 10:41 AM   #9
g.willikers

Maybe I've just been lucky, but so far all my personal experiences with the police have been just fine.
No problems at all, ever.
But it's probably good advice to get the assistance of an attorney for anything serious.
After all, that's what the police themselves do.
Old December 12, 2015, 11:10 AM   #10
44 AMP
Staff

Look at this from our side,

The OP is essentially saying "because X happened to me, I no longer do Y, and neither should you...

Which makes sense in general principles. but ONLY if we know what X was/is.

I understand you may not wish to give details, for privacy or legal reasons, BUT, without them, at least as hypotheticals, we have nothing to judge on, which makes your opinion rather weightless.

Congrats on skirting "cop bashing"(this time), but you really didn't tell us anything significant, just your personal feelings.
Old December 12, 2015, 11:12 AM   #11
jabba21

Actually I wish people would take this dudes advice. It would cut out a lot of BS calls that police have to take.
Old December 12, 2015, 11:13 AM   #12
Al Norris
Moderator Emeritus

Johnelmore has, in his opening and subsequent posts, given an opinion that does not touch upon anything I can put my finger to, as regards the purpose of this forum:

Quote:
Discussions may range from the Second Amendment to other equally important civil rights and the Laws that affect them. General political issues are off-topic.
Closed.
Closed Thread