The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 31, 2001, 02:40 PM   #1
Slim

Will this gun function with both heavy and light loads? I understand that some do not, but haven't heard from someone who has one? The 11-87 field gun is touted to do both without a hitch, but doesn't the 11-87 Police have a different gas port diameter?

Anyone?

Thanks,

Slim
Old January 31, 2001, 04:06 PM   #2
Intel6

Depends on what you define as light loads?

The 11-87 Police is marked on the barrel that lighter loads will not work and that is because it is intedned for LE agencies that mostly shoot buck and slugs, not light shot loads. The 11-87P does not have different gas port diameters, the gas regulating system is changed. Basically, the gas compensating parts have been removed so it takes a full shot of gas presssure to unlock the bolt so the recoil of the shell can cycle the action.

The thing to look at with loads in not just the power (dram) but how much payload the shell has. The amount of shot a shell has an effect on how well the SG functions. There has to be enought payload being pushed out the barrel to give enough "back pressure" to make the SG work. My 11-87P will shoot my reloads that are basically 3 dram loads with 1 oz. of shot. If you go down below 1 oz. of payload then you run into problems.

Allot of the cheap shells you can buy now don't even have an oz. of shot, they are 7/8 th oz. or called 24 Dram loads. These will not cycle my 11-87P but the 1-1/18 oz. 3 dram loads will without any problems.
Old February 1, 2001, 11:30 AM   #3
MSS

11-87 and light loads

Slim,

Strip your 11-87 down and clean out the factory grease paying close attention to the bolt and rails. My 11-87P would not cycle reduced recoil loads until I did this. The 11-87 was made to fire Remington reduced recoil slugs and 00 as well as full power loads. Check out http://www.remingtonle.com.
Old February 1, 2001, 01:34 PM   #4
Slim

Thank you Intel6 and MSS.

I am lucky in that I am married to a certified gun nut female pistol packing but polite and educated female. She came with me to a three-gun match, and vowed to beat me next year, especially in the shotgun event. The only catch was (Twist my arm harder...) that we needed to buy another gun. Bummer. ;-)

So....

I already ordered the 11-87P. Now, I can't stand the wait. She needs a semi-auto to dampen recoil, and prevent her short arms from having to cycle my full size pump gun.

I think that when she gets the dance of recoil management down, the bruising will stop. I do not anticipate problems, but I want to encourage her to practice a lot with some medium to light ammunition.

I will post after it arrives, and is fired a few times.

Thank you so much for your help.

Slim, out.
Old February 7, 2001, 08:42 AM   #5
able2ski

My 1187 P has functioned flawlessy through my first 200 rounds of the Estate SWAT 00 buck reduced recoil stuff.

However, things like Remington Express buck (yellow & green box) or Federal rifled slugs will foul it up and render it inoperable in as little as 5 rounds. It was pointed out to me that both of these loads dont have shot cups or sabots; exposed lead would get shaved off at the larger gas ports and foul the action.

So.......one could say its not the size of the load, its how its delivered down the pipe. Hmmmmm.......we are still taking about shotguns, right?
Old February 7, 2001, 08:58 AM   #6
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Slim, the bruising will stop when she has a stock that fits and knows how to use the shotgun.

The standard stock is made for a mythical guy, 5'9" tall, 180 lbs and taking a 33" shirt sleeve. The more an individual shooter deviates from this, the greater the need for a stock that fits.

Trust me on this. The faster she gets to someone fecally cognizant about stock fit and has one fitted, the faster she will get to the point where she's enjoying the heck out of shooting. If she's in pain, not hitting a darn thing, and feels like she's wasting her time, it's not long before she bows out.

Also, a wearable recoil pad, possibly in a shooting coat or vest, will help greatly. I use the PAST pad, and note no diminishing of my testosterone...
Old February 7, 2001, 11:39 AM   #7
MSS

11-87 and loads

I like the Activ slugs - very accurate - and have had good luck with federal reduced recoil 00. Fouling is acceptable.