The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old February 25, 2013, 06:20 PM   #1
Mauser8mm

.30-40 Krag Bolt Action Springfield 1898 Value!?

I was recently at my local gun shop (Harry Beckwith Gun Shop, Micanopy Florida) and I saw an old Springfield .30-40 Krag Bolt Action going for a really really low price. I don't quite remember how much, $200 or less I believe, I tried the action out and it appeared to be in good condition.

Does anyone know the real value of these? If you want to call this gun shop and ask about it, if it is even still there, the number is 352-466-3340. Let me know what you know. Thanks!
Old February 25, 2013, 06:35 PM   #2
Jim Watson

The "real value" depends entirely on the originality and condition.

For $200 I would expect to see a Krag that had been cut down by Bubba and likely with a dark bore from corrosive ammo shot by Clyde who wouldn't let no water touch his gun.
Old February 25, 2013, 11:45 PM   #3
kilimanjaro

If a rifle turned into a carbine, that kind of magic gets about $300. A good rifle, good wood, nice bore, original, expect $650 up to $$900 or more. Snap it up if you think it's worth it.
Old February 26, 2013, 10:59 AM   #4
PetahW

If it's an original hen's-tooth 1898 (or 1899) Carbine (most seen are fakes), it'd be worth well over 10x what a cut-down rifle is.

For $200 or less, why aren't you showing us pics of your new purchase, ILO jawing aboutit ?

Old February 26, 2013, 11:13 AM   #5
tahunua001

my LGS are a little clueless when it comes to gun values so I have never seen a 1898 for less than $1000 but all of them have been drilled, tapped, cut down and otherwise mutilated.

for $200 I would pass as unless they have no clue what it actually is, is heavily modified and no longer has much collectors value.
Old February 26, 2013, 12:50 PM   #6
chiefr

Concur with most of you. I have seen sporters sell for as low as $200 - $450.
There were several at the last gunshow I went to. I actually handled one that the seller wanted $450 for. When I laid it back on the table, he said he would take $350, I walked
Conversely, the average price for one in original condition start around $500.
If you can find one with a good bore for around $750, IMHO that would be a good deal.
Old February 28, 2013, 11:59 AM   #7
brinker

Krag

I bought a 1898 built in 1903, there is a krag forum that is great. I am hooked, even tho my rifle came out of a collection in California. I was at the range firing my 1903 Springfield, and another shooter was firing a krag and a Eddistone p-17. He came over and eyed my Springfield. we talked guns and I let him fire my 1903 and I fired his Krag. It was a full rifle not a carbine. I loved it! I found this one in Dallas at a gun store. I couldn't afford the krag rifle, and they showed me a real carbine. I really couldn't afford that one either. I spoted this one on the rack. and started looking it over. and decited to buy her, for about 300 more than your Florida rifle is for. measure the barrel should be about 23 inches, rear sight should have a (c) stamped on it, thats for carbine. Should have a metal but plate with a accessory port, the wood stock should be plain, with a finger grip on the forward and should have a wood piece around the rear sight, can be a flip up like the 1903 but smaller. a true carbine will have a saddle eye, and no sling eyes. But many rifles were sportized with sling for hunting, My Krag has sling eyes It really fires nice, The krag bolts were fired at 30-40 but some were modified, get a 30-40 round and chamber it to see how she fits, my barrel was a little lite blue, I cleaned it well and took her to the range. the barrel is clean now no blue at all. I fire 150 grain rounds due to the single bolt lug configureation. most Krag rounds off the shelf are 180 grain. Good luck be safe shoot clean Sunny
Old March 1, 2013, 11:04 AM   #8
madcratebuilder

Do some reading here.

http://www.kragcollectorsassociation.../yabb2/YaBB.pl

The Krag section here.

http://www.milsurps.com/index.php

CMP has good Krag info.

and here.

http://www.surplusrifleforum.com/index.php

A original rifle can be found for around $500+. A true Carbine is double to triple and can go over 3K for the rare models.

I have a 1898 rifle and I'm looking for a 98 Carbine...at the right price. Everything I find is fake or over priced.
Old March 1, 2013, 11:43 AM   #9
James K
Member In Memoriam

Many and wondrous are the stories told to sell fake carbines. One of my favorites is that sling swivels on a "carbine" indicate that it was made for Teddy Roosevelt's "Rough Riders" because they fought as infantry and used slings. Sure.

Jim
Old March 1, 2013, 12:23 PM   #10
rellik74

Being the owner of an 1898 Kraig that the stock was sanded down and refinished I would say mine is worth $400 (not a carbine). The colector value is in 100% origional condition. Mine was never sporterized.

The back story to mine was my grandfather hunted with this rifle in the 40's
Old March 1, 2013, 09:05 PM   #11
Mauser8mm

Thanks!

You are all very helpful, I appreciate the replies. If you want to know more about the rifle, if it is still there, call the gun shop! Thanks everyone!
Old March 1, 2013, 10:34 PM   #12
Rainbow Demon

There are short rifle versions that should not be confused with the carbines or rifles cut down by commercial dealers.

The short rifles may be found with carbine style stocks or with rifle styled stocks with extended fore end and upper band with bayonet lug.
The muzzle of the altered Carbine barrel is turned down in front of the front sight to accept a bayonet.
occasionally people mistake this unusual muzzle treatment for a ring monted front base.
These were assembled at the Benicia Arsenel in California.

The short rifles were known as "school rifles" or as "Phillipine Constabulary Rifles".

Another odd ball Krag to be aware of was a shortened rifle intended for use by guards at the Coast Artillery and other fortifications.
The barrels were shortened by about four inches, with upper band and sights set back.
The shortened rifle was to make it easier to navigate the tight quarters of tunnels in the forifications.
These were a couple of inches longer than the later Springfield 1903. Few if any survive. It would be a shame if someone mistook one for a bubba'ed long rifle and decided to "restore" it.