The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old January 13, 2013, 08:38 PM   #1
walker11

savage trigger

Deer season is out around here and now i want to do some work to my Savage 111. Before the season started i noticed that i hate everything about the Accutrigger and decided to get rid of it asap. I do a lot of range shooting with this rifle, just because i like to see how far i can shoot, but it is also my primary hunting rifle for deer and bear. I have narrowed my search down to 2 options wanted to get some opinions on it. I have selected the SSS Evolution and Timney #638. Who all has shot these triggers? What did you like and what did you not like? And what trigger would you recomend?
Thanks,
Walker
Old January 13, 2013, 09:04 PM   #2
reynolds357

If it was me I would polish out the accutrigger but just my 2 cents. Its definitely not a bench rest trigger, but its a fine hunting trigger.
Old January 13, 2013, 09:57 PM   #3
dave in maine

there's another spring kit out there that makes it a kick ass trigger. i put a thin piece of wire behind to lock the bar back and i used it on my 22 for bench rest. don't give up on it, for about ten bucks you'll have a great trigger.
Old January 16, 2013, 05:10 PM   #4
Metal god

What is the problem with the accu-trigger . I just bought the FCP-K For some long range shooting from prone with bi pod . I always thought of prone with a bi-pod is being the same as bench shooting . The gun and shooter are both very stable and it's relatively easy to lock in on a target . What makes the accu-trigger not a good choice for this application ?

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old January 16, 2013, 05:19 PM   #5
L_Killkenny

Lot's of folk like the Accu-trigger, this guy doesn't. Not the end of the world. Personally I think the accu-trigger is a downgrade from the original fully adjustable trigger and is only done to appease the lawyers. Hate em as much in principle as in function.
Old January 16, 2013, 06:50 PM   #6
reynolds357

By the old "fully adjustable" triggers, do you mean the ones you had to bend on and grind on springs to adjust?
Old January 16, 2013, 08:34 PM   #7
L_Killkenny

Quote:
By the old "fully adjustable" triggers, do you mean the ones you had to bend on and grind on springs to adjust?
Nope, the ones that we use a common tool called a screwdriver. http://www.snipercountry.com/Article...110Trigger.asp
Old January 16, 2013, 09:32 PM   #8
reynolds357

All the ones I have ever dealt with required bending the wire or filing on the flat wire to achieve any significant results.
Old January 16, 2013, 10:00 PM   #9
pabuckslayer08

The accu trigger is great, except for hunting. Its a solid trigger for a factory gun but with gloves on I hate the feel, When hunting I want to know exactly when its going to break and with the accu trigger and a glove I just dont have the feel
Old January 16, 2013, 10:15 PM   #10
math teacher

I installed a Rifle Basix in mine and am quite pleased with it. The instructions made it easy to install. I have installed both Rifle Basix and Timney triggers in Rem 700s and am pleased with both. I saw no difference.
Old January 16, 2013, 10:28 PM   #11
walker11

Metal- I peronsally do not like 2 stage triggers. I like to have one consistant pull weight and I do not like a lot of slack. And thats all the accutrigger is, 2 different pull weights and a lot of slack. I know a lot of people who love the accutrigger and think I'm crazy for getting rid of it, but, as stated before, there is nothing about the trigger I like.
Old January 16, 2013, 11:54 PM   #12
Txhillbilly

Some guy's like them,some don't.
I hunt with all of mine,and have no problem with them. I've got 3 standard Accu-trigger rifles,2 with the Target Accu-trigger,and 2 with the SSS Competition trigger.
I like all of them.

They took some getting use to when they first came out,but I prefer to have them now.The only problems that I've ever had was when I adjusted the triggers too lite,but that was my fault,and was fixed in a couple minutes with the little trigger adjustment tool.
Old January 17, 2013, 01:01 AM   #13
kilotanker22

trigger

Imho jewel makes about the best triggers out there. But kinda pricey. $200 last i bought one.
Old January 17, 2013, 02:50 AM   #14
Metal god

OK what makes a good or bad trigger and is it not a personal thing ?

I would think the purpose matters most . If your running and gunning with your AR your not going to want a trigger with a 1-1/2lb trigger pull . The opposite when it comes to bench shooting you don't want a 8lb trigger on your bench gun . Sure you can use either or but it' may not the best application .

When it comes to the FCP-K I bought . I would like the trigger to be a safe trigger first and really for all my guns . No need having a gun that will fire if you look at it funny . The next thing would be reliable and consistent . I hear the accu-trigger can be a little finicky in the very cold .

That brings me to my next thought about using a two stage light trigger in the cold . I never considered using gloves and how that would effect the feel and the use of a trigger like the accu-trigger . I live in southern California it's never cold here .I'm sure I will go to some cold weather areas and shoot .I will want the rifle to preform well in all environments .

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .