The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old May 18, 2009, 09:03 AM   #1
Hawg

My new brasser

A buddy on another forum gave me this .36 Remington Navy after my guns were stolen. Made in 78 with a capital P over a capital R and FIE on the butt and a three digit serial number. PR is a new one on me and the bluebook site is no help, neither is google. Haven't shot it yet but won't be long. Those .36 balls are soooo tiny. He also sent a custom holster, 100 balls and wads and the neatest lil cleanin kit you ever saw.

Old May 18, 2009, 09:30 AM   #2
noelf2

Hawg, I have a .31 cal baby dragoon with the same P/R FIE on it. Brass framed and engraved. Was also made in early 70's. I traded for it when I was a kid in high school. Have had it since 1978. Mine's a POS now as I didn't treat it well in the early years. I did a bit of research on manufacturer, but hit dead ends as well. Was obviously an FIE import, and made in Italy. Perhaps by ASM or Pietta.
Old May 18, 2009, 09:38 AM   #3
grymster2007

You know that you'll shoot it loose in about three cylinders, right? The Cap'n told me.
Old May 18, 2009, 09:53 AM   #4
noelf2

So I've heard as well! Better not shoot that one Hawg
Old May 18, 2009, 09:59 AM   #5
Raider2000

I also agree but from my understanding it's more like 1 cylinder, so it's just a wall hanger.

Hey bud, you have fun with your new piece & yeah those lil balls are cute arent they.
Old May 18, 2009, 10:04 AM   #6
grymster2007

Quote:
Hey bud, you have fun with your new piece
Ditto.... and Hawg; you got yourself a good pard in whoever gave you that!
Old May 18, 2009, 10:42 AM   #7
olyinaz

GREAT looking piece! Economical to shoot as well.

Enjoy,
Oly
Old May 18, 2009, 10:46 AM   #8
SamStafford

I think if you use a low powder load, that gun will last a long time. Just what I read on another gun forum. I love ALL 1858 Remmys.
Old May 18, 2009, 11:34 AM   #9
Hawg

Quote:
I did a bit of research on manufacturer, but hit dead ends as well. Was obviously an FIE import, and made in Italy. Perhaps by ASM or Pietta.
Nope, not either one of them.

Quote:
You know that you'll shoot it loose in about three cylinders, right? The Cap'n told me.
He can go pee up a rope too.
Old May 18, 2009, 11:37 AM   #10
grymster2007

Quote:
He can go pee up a rope too.
OK Hawg, but when that thing is the length of an 1891/30 Mosin with the bayonet attached, you might be eatin' them words.
Old May 18, 2009, 11:44 AM   #11
Hawg

If it gets to be the length of just the bayo I'll go ahead and eat them. Until then I hope he likes golden showers.
Old May 18, 2009, 12:14 PM   #12
grymster2007

Quote:
Until then I hope he likes golden showers

Quote:
Those .36 balls are soooo tiny.
I don't have any of those, but the 0 buckshot for the '63 Pocket look like BBs next to the .454s.

That is a nice lookin' brasser though! You'll let us know how it shoots? Oh... and post pics when the cylinder gap gets to be more 'n 'bout a 1/4".
Old May 18, 2009, 02:53 PM   #13
CaptainCrossman

careful loading that Hawg, the brass frame Remingtons won't pull an arbor like the brass frame Colts, but they will warp/bend the frame- finding a replacement frame is like trying to find hen's teeth
Old May 18, 2009, 03:01 PM   #14
JarYetz

Nice gun and neat little kit, Hawg.
I have to be honest though, I only came in here to see what the Cap'n would say about it being brass.
Old May 18, 2009, 03:01 PM   #15
Smokin_Gun

Quote:
A buddy on another forum gave me this .36 Remington Navy after my guns were stolen.
Nice lookin' Rev Hawg I like it...a short bbl version too, Congrads man that's a nice gift.
Admin:http://blackpowdersmoke.com/oldcoots/index.php
Old May 18, 2009, 03:02 PM   #16
grymster2007

Thanks for showing up Cap'n; as you can see I've had a difficult time trying to convince Hawg of the dangers he faces. Maybe he'll take it better from you.
Old May 18, 2009, 03:13 PM   #17
Shotgun Willy

That's the first Remmy I've seen by PR, whoever in the hell that is. Nice looking gun, and a good friend you've got there.

Well, not exactly true about it's being the first Remmy, I've seen. I've got an Italian copy of the 1863 Remington Contract Rifle-the Zouave-with PR on it. It's also marked DART, which I think was the importer....maybe. It's supposed to be .575 but I've finally gotten it to load well with a .562 RB. I've got a brass 1851 in .36, with no other marks, but PR on it, also. I've given up trying to figure out who they were. (until the next time it starts to bug me.)

Have fun with that little beauty.
Old May 18, 2009, 03:30 PM   #18
noelf2

Quote:
Nope, not either one of them.
Hawg, So what did you find out? Only thing mine says is "PR FIE Italy" on the butt. Also, on the right side of the barrel next to the loading lever screw there is a symbol and a "PN". I heard at one time that the PN was early Pietta.
Old May 18, 2009, 04:11 PM   #19
D.Delozier

The PN is a standard Italian proof mark ,almost or maybe all recently made BP guns out of Italy have that mark.
Old May 18, 2009, 04:13 PM   #20
Hawg

Quote:
Hawg, So what did you find out? Only thing mine says is "PR FIE Italy" on the butt. Also, on the right side of the barrel next to the loading lever screw there is a symbol and a "PN". I heard at one time that the PN was early Pietta.
I haven't found out anything yet. The PN is a Gardonne BP proof as is the shield. Early Pietta was FAP inside a diamond. Same as now but early ones didn't say Pietta.

Quote:
careful loading that Hawg, the brass frame Remingtons won't pull an arbor like the brass frame Colts, but they will warp/bend the frame- finding a replacement frame is like trying to find hen's teeth
Gun was made in 78 and is still tight. I fired 35 rounds through it today with most of them being 25 grs. and believe it or not it didn't fall apart in my hands, blow up or break any springs.
You need to get off your high horse and accept the fact that brass frame guns are good guns and here to stay. I've never been real crazy about the ones that aren't historically accurate but even I never went on rants about them the way you do. Do us all a favor Capt. and either get off it or go somewhere else to peddle your drivel, inaccuracies and falsehoods.
Old May 18, 2009, 05:56 PM   #21
long rider

HH when i saw you post that brass remmi,
the first thing that came to mind was, the
captain is going to be all over you on that one
bring on the fireworks ye ha.
Old May 18, 2009, 07:50 PM   #22
Hawg

Fired it today. Just went out back with some Coke cans so no target pics. Loaded up 20 grs. of Pyrodex RS, a wonder wad and a I presume .375 ball. First off the chamber didn't shave much of a ring so I'm thinking gonna need a .380 mold. After loading a few cylinders with that short lever am thinking .375 is just fine. Started off at 25 ft. just to get a feel for it and even hit the can once. Recoil was almost non existent and it made a cute lil pop when it went off. I'm not real happy with it at this point. Loaded up 25 grs. and with the wad and ball the ball comes to just below the chamber mouth. Now we have a respectable amount of recoil and a nice boom(tho still kinda hi pitched). Also aforementioned can has six more holes in it now and is several feet further away. One shot went straight thru the bottom and two went thru the top. Hard to believe 5 grs. of powder made that much difference. I'm very happy with it now and while I still prefer a .44 I will be getting a playmate for this one one of these days. Prolly a 51 Navy. First I gotta sneak a .36 mold past the wife.
Old May 18, 2009, 10:06 PM   #23
madcratebuilder

Nice looking Remmy. I have a 1858 by Navy Arms with FIE under the loading lever. It has smaller grips than my two Pietta's, it's a nice shooter.
Old May 19, 2009, 06:43 AM   #24
Gbro

My Confederate Colt .44 has the PR on the butt also and I have struggled to find who made it.
I just had it apart for the 1st time yesterday. What a pleasure it was mucking out an open top compared to the Remmy style.
I can't wait to muck them up again.