The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Closed Thread

Old January 12, 1999, 08:31 PM   #1
Rob Pincus

Most of us have talked about Mil/LE weapons, what about private stuff?

What is the most economical weapon to get started in FA with?

I would think that the Cobray MAC in .380 would be a good choice. Shopping atound could get you full-auto for under a grand including tax stamp.

------------------
-Essayons
Old January 12, 1999, 08:54 PM   #2
GLV

Instead of buying something of little tactical value, for a grand, real guns are available. Reisings, Stens, and some others have been in that price range. The Mac/Cobray/ other little .380s do not necessarly run well. GLV
Old January 13, 1999, 12:54 AM   #3
Rob Pincus

I have shot the MAC in .45 and .380 flavors and enjoyed them very much. I know at least one guy who relies on his MAC .380 as a reliable platform.
The subgun competition at Knob Creek was recently won with a MAC .380, as I beleive several such competitions are.

If you have hard price info on the Stens, though, please post, they are interesting guns.

------------------
-Essayons
Old January 13, 1999, 02:58 AM   #4
4V50 Gary
Staff

Don't discount those ugly .380 Mac11. A major complaint of LE is that those "cheap" guns work, no matter how primatively assembled they are.

While they may be crude when compared to the HK, Patchett (Sterling), M1928, they are specialized SMGs with a different mission. In case you didn't know, those .380 have a higher rate of fire (1100-1200 rpm as opposed to the 600 rpm of the HK) and were designed to be used in urbanized environments (executive protection).

Put a wood stock and a supressor on it and you've got one very controllable little gun which is great for bodyguard work. It's up to the end user to seek the proper instruction and practice to a level of proficiency with it. Remember, it's a different weapon for a different mission.

Rob, you're fortunate you can even consider buying one. I'd have to move to NV myself.

4v50 Gary

Old January 13, 1999, 03:18 AM   #5
Rob Pincus

All that is 100% ture, Gary, including the last part .

My associate with the .380 does PSD work. He swears by it.

I think that the cyclic rate is actually closer to 1300 rpm with standard ammo.

The ones used for competition are apparently "tuned" for a reduced rate of about 800 rpm.. these guys can right their name with 'em....

I'm closing this thread, as Daren has posted just about the same question in this forum under the heading MAC 10/11...

see ya there.

------------------
-Essayons
Closed Thread