The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 2, 2002, 08:15 AM   #1
Alex Johnson

Making .351 WSL cases

I've been considering buying a 1907 Winchester in .351 (can't find the .401 that I really want) and somebody had said that you could manufacture the .351 cases using .357 magnum brass by simply reducing the diameter of the rims. I don't have a reloading manual handy that has the dimensions of the .351 cases, but does anybody know if this is possible? Turning the cases wouldn't be too hard as I have a metal lathe, but would there be any other problems? Thanks for any info.
I thoroughly disapprove of duels. I consider them unwise and I know they are dangerous. Also, sinful. If a man should challenge me, I would take him kindly and forgivingly by the hand and lead him to a quiet retired spot and kill him.
- Mark Twain
Old July 2, 2002, 08:32 AM   #2
Steven Mace

Alex, actually the .357 Magnum case is too short. The case length of the .357 Mag. is 1.29" while the case length of the .351 WSL is 1.38". You'll need to start with a .357 Maximum case and turn the rim down to .407", cut new extractor groove and trim to length. Hope this helps!

Steve Mace
Old July 2, 2002, 10:02 AM   #3
Mike Irwin
Staff

Fairly straightforward process if you have the lathe and skills to turn out 50 or 100 usable cases in short order.

The .351 is a fun rifle, but when loading for it you have to stay close to original ballistics, else the gun, being recoil operated, won't work as well as it should.

Have you ever fired a .401?

Surprisingly harsh recoil.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old July 2, 2002, 06:35 PM   #4
Newservicecolt

Believe that midway has them on sale as I write.
NSC
Old July 3, 2002, 05:32 PM   #5
Alex Johnson

Thanks for the informations, not sure if it would be much of a savings to buy the .357 Max brass and than machine it or not. Though I suppose once I had the lathe set up it wouldn't be too much work to crank out a couple hundred in an evening. Do you think cutting the extractor groove would weaken the brass to any major extent?
I thoroughly disapprove of duels. I consider them unwise and I know they are dangerous. Also, sinful. If a man should challenge me, I would take him kindly and forgivingly by the hand and lead him to a quiet retired spot and kill him.
- Mark Twain
Old July 3, 2002, 09:16 PM   #6
Contender

You could also probably wing it with one of those case spinners in a drill press with a gloved finger or dowel in the flashhole for supporting the base of the case and a file in the other hand to take down the rim. Make a quick gage for checking the rim diameter as you go. An extractor slot could be cut this way too.

You may be able to use 360 DW brass (1.41") too. Starline sells it.

FWIW
Old July 3, 2002, 10:27 PM   #7
Gewehr98

I *think* Buffalo Arms is selling .351 WSL brass.

They make odd and obsolete stuff, to include .25 Remington, .32 Remington, .401 WSL, and .351 WSL, from other pre-existing cartridge brass. Their website, http://www.buffaloarms.com/baco2.htm shows $38.00 for 100 pieces of .351WSL brass.

Neural Misfires