The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 9, 2009, 07:43 PM   #1
mackillan

.204 Ruger with 26 gr barnes varmint grenades

There is supposedly no data in the barnes manual for reloading 26 gr varmint grenades. The site has a load but I dont have any measurements. Can anyone tell me how I would get the measurement for overall length of the cartridge?
Old February 9, 2009, 07:59 PM   #2
IllinoisCoyoteHunter

How far do you want it seated off the lands?? This is how I figure out my COL for .243 WIN.

~NRA LIFE MEMBER~
~NRA CERTIFIED INSTRUCTOR~
Old February 9, 2009, 09:17 PM   #3
hardhit

If you want to find the O.A.L for your rifle with a good degree of accuracy you should invest in a hornady O.A.L gauge or similar,
And get the comparator with it, this way you can set the correct and best OAL for any bullet you want to use with that cartridge in your rifle they are easy to use and well worth the small out lay.
Or the alternative is,(block the thread of your cleaning rod) insert a bullet into the chamber end of the rifling and tap it lightly, Insert your cleaning rod from muzzle end gently slide it down to touch the tip of the bullet and mark the cleaning rod as close as possible to the end of the barrel, then lightly tap the bullet out insert the bolt, put the cleaning rod back in from the muzzle end again to touch the bolt face and again mark the cleaning rod this will give you your max OAL so set .10 off that if Possible.
if you want to change the bullet you will have to do the above all over again. Hence the value in O.A.L gauge.
Old February 10, 2009, 09:57 AM   #4
Qtiphky

Dimensions

Don't know exactly what dimensions you are looking for, but on the Barnes website that I saw, it does list everything. COAL 2.26" Case Trim Length 1.84" and the two different types of powders they recommend. Try this link: http://www.barnesbullets.com/images/204RugerWeb.pdf Hope this helps.
Old February 10, 2009, 05:58 PM   #5
mackillan

thanks guys