The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 8, 2009, 05:35 PM   #26
Unclenick
Staff

Your bullets have a blunt shaped ogive that is sticking in the throat because they are seated out too far for that particular bullet. Ideally you want to remove your barrel and use it as a gauge. Drop one of your long bullets gently into its chamber. Does the bottom of the case stick out above the back edge of the barrel? Of course it does. The breech face is shoving it in the rest of the way when the slide goes all the way into battery. That's what sticks it in place. Seat the bullet a little deeper until you find the seating depth at which the back end of the case (the face of the casehead) is just even with the back of the barrel when you drop one lightly in. That's your gun's maximum COL with that bullet. It is also usually a good accuracy spot for seating. Be sure your primers don't stick out when you do this.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old February 8, 2009, 05:53 PM   #27
zxcvbob

Quote:
Right, but then you have to know what weight the coin actually is, not just what that same scale said it was. Otherwise you can only detect drift, not absolute measuring error.
That's the main thing I care about -- drift. If "4.8" is really 5.1, I'm OK with that as long is it is 5.1 every time. (Why do you think we work up new loads instead of starting right at the top?)

When I level my scale at 0.0, the dime I use balances at exactly 35.0 grains. YMMV.
Old February 8, 2009, 06:33 PM   #28
Unclenick
Staff

That reminds me that I read a post recently reporting that many people had commented that they failed to get the performance Jack O'Conner reported getting from a number of his loads. After he died, someone thought to check his scale and found it was reading about 2 grains low in the charge ranges he normally worked in. I doubt most scales are that far off, but I think it is a safety issue when trying a recommended starting load that you know you are not too far off absolute. Especially if you are working revolver loads with H110/296 where the usable range is narrow.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old February 8, 2009, 07:44 PM   #29
Nate1778

Quote:
Originally Posted by "Unclenick'
Drop one of your long bullets gently into its chamber. Does the bottom of the case stick out above the back edge of the barrel?

Perfect and what a "why didn't I think of that moment". Went out and took the action off my gun. Dropped a factory round in the chamber and the only thing above the barrel was the rim. I am guessing this is normal after looking at the breech as there is a recess for the rim there. I then dropped in one of my FMJ re-loads (.982) and it measured the same as the factory round as far as exposure. I then put in one of my lead re-loads (.979) and it stuck out of the barrel much more then the first two. Using my mic I am figuring it would take ~.050 to get it to sit at the same height. So here is what I am thinking, the "ogive" on this perticular bullet sits to far up on the bullet. the bullets I am using are these. I would think they would work but apparently not without bringing the COL into the .930 range. So what do you guys think, scrap the bullets for round nose leads. I am surprised the gun didn't blow up when I shot these the other day with that much lead crammed into the barrel.
Old February 8, 2009, 09:10 PM   #30
zxcvbob

Quote:
So what do you guys think, scrap the bullets for round nose leads
Have you tried them seated deeper yet? (I really doubt you will have to go down to .930) Of course you'll need to reduce the powder down to about 3.8 grains.
Old February 8, 2009, 09:40 PM   #31
Nate1778

I don't know, there is a pretty big difference. To top it off my kid brother just stopped by with his Bersa, they fit fine in it. I figure if anything he can buy the box from me and use them. Anyone know where to get some round nose lead for this gun that might be in stock?