The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 22, 1999, 12:40 PM   #1
Jack Straw

I'm looking for a better way to test handloads for my handguns. It would be nice if a Ransom Rest were within reason for me, but it isn't. Therefore I'm using sandbags. Autos seem as though they would be pretty easy to test by simply laying the frame in a groove in the sandbag, but what about testing revolvers? What methods do you guys use? Is a revolver like a rifle in that you shouldn't lay the barrel directly on the bag to shoot it, or does the short length of a revolver (short compared to a rifle) mean that it won't be affected by laying it right on the bag?

Any tips or suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks

Jack
Old November 22, 1999, 01:26 PM   #2
John Lawson

If you lay a revolver barrel on a sandbag there are two problems: 1. You may blow a hole in the bag with muzzle blast (if it is a big bag) 2. The revolver does not recoil the same and will give a different point of impact.
If you want to attain the same identical point of impact (not always necessary) use the cup and saucer grip and lay your hand on the bag, pressing in to a deep indent. You will get good support.
On the other hand, it would not take much work to build yourself a heavily padded V notch support that you can lay the barrel in, portable enough to take to the range. With this kind of rest you seat the butt in a sand bag, rest the barrel in the notch and bear downward to keep contact as you fire a string. I used a rig like this for years before I could buy a Ransom. It worked.
Old November 22, 1999, 01:50 PM   #3
Mal H
Staff

Millett makes a good pistol rest that won't break the bank. It has a v-notched front end and an adjustable rear grip support to help with vertical aiming. It gives you very good repeatability.

Outers has a very nice "Pistol Perch" that costs 3 to 4 times what the Millett does, but I haven't tried that one. From the pictures, it looks like it would be easier to adjust.
Old November 22, 1999, 02:33 PM   #4
WalterGAII

Midway also sells a pretty inexpensive handgun rest. Might want to take a look at them .
Old November 22, 1999, 05:54 PM   #5
Fusternc

Jack,
I just bought myself a pistol rest for $10.50 at Gart Sports. It is from a company by the name of MTM. Their website is:
http://www.mtmcase-gard.com

It allows the user to easily adjust to 20 different positions based on handgun size. It features a heavily rubber padded "V" that you rest the barrel in. It has allowed me to test my reloads and factory .45 quite well. Definitely worth the price. Check it out.
Old November 22, 1999, 07:02 PM   #6
Mal H
Staff

The MTM looks like a good stand. And the guy is shooting my Ruger SRH .44 Mag and Leupold 4X scope! I better go look in the safe.
Old November 22, 1999, 09:48 PM   #7
Hal

I've been using one of the Case-Gard pistol rests since last winter. It has done a decent job, well worth the price. I fit a small pad of lambswool to the Rubber V to keep the rubber from splitting. A scrap of an old bath towel should do the same thing. Mine started to get a split in the rubber a few months ago.

------------------
CCW for Ohio action site.
http://www.ofcc.net
Do what you C.A.N.

http://thematrix.acmecity.com/digital/237/cansite/can.html

Old November 23, 1999, 09:54 AM   #8
Jack Straw

Thanks for the input; a nearby gun store carries a lot of MTM products, so I will stop by there this afternoon.

Jack
Old November 24, 1999, 07:35 AM   #9
WESHOOT2

Using a rest is good, but the most important rule of testing for accuracy is a consistent grip shot to shot.
Hold the gun EXACTLY the same way for each shot; position of hands, position on bags/rest, grip strength.
If you can do these things consistently, for every shot, your target will be meaningful.

It takes practice, and I still have many bad days! LOL

------------------
"All my ammo is factory ammo"