The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 1, 2012, 08:50 AM   #1
THORN74

Digital loading manuals?

So I am looking for a digital loading manual(s).... I have a few books, but I usually have my tablet out there with me ( for music and such).

It would be great to have a web based manual or a manual in PDF form. Anyone have any ideas?

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk 2
Old September 1, 2012, 08:56 AM   #2
jmortimer

There are at least two. One that I have used is Load Data - http://www.loaddata.com/signup/index.cfm which includes all the loads from Handloader magazine from over the years plus everything else. About $30.00 and worth it for me along with a digital subscription to Handloader magazine. Here is the other one I would like to try out - http://ammoguide.com/

Last edited by jmortimer; September 1, 2012 at 09:04 AM.
Old September 1, 2012, 11:47 AM   #3
mikld

Can you access powder manufacturer's sites? Alliant, Hodgon, Accurate, etc.?
Old September 1, 2012, 03:02 PM   #4
FrankenMauser

Actual reloading manuals are generally only available in print form. I don't think we'll see full pdf or ebook versions of anything until the next generation of manuals is released by each company. (Even then, it's questionable. Reloaders are old-fashioned and generally resistant to evolution. )

You can download pdf versions of several manufacturer's load data. Examples:
Accurate Powders
Ram Shot

Alliant had a pdf guide available until a few weeks ago, but I can't find it on their site, right now.

Somewhere on the Hodgdon site, you'll find a pdf for Winchester data.
Old September 1, 2012, 03:16 PM   #5
jmortimer

Anyone, can go to manufacturer web site and I'm sure O/P knows that. Again, I would suggest the two sites I referenced if you want more/advanced information.
Old September 1, 2012, 04:25 PM   #6
jwrowland77

Loaddata.com is pretty cool. It's a collective manual from all powder manufactures plus some. I've been to ammoguide but haven't paid for scrip as of yet.
Old September 1, 2012, 04:47 PM   #7
THORN74

Yeah I have pulled data off mfr sites, but usually they don't have a whole lot of loads per calibur.

I was hoping for a collection of load data or several from diff sources

I haven't gone as far as the annual sub from loaddata.com I was hoping for something free I guess ....

I have the hornady book and the lee book, and a bunch of little manuals from cabelas just thought it would be easier off my tablet

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Old September 1, 2012, 06:08 PM   #8
FrankenMauser

Quote:
Anyone, can go to manufacturer web site and I'm sure O/P knows that. Again, I would suggest the two sites I referenced if you want more/advanced information.
If it works for you (and others), that's great. But, I found that quite a few bits of data were "lost in translation" when swiped by members and added to the ammoguide database.

I paid for a 2 year subscription to Ammoguide, back when it was $5/year. But, I gave up. They seemed to be nothing more than a repository for poorly copied data that was swiped from forums, online articles, other databases, and personal web pages.

Ammoguide, again, had one of my personal .32 S&W Long pet loads listed last time I was on the site, but the (unknown) person that submitted the data failed to add the barrel length, velocity, and a key note: It was a 480 fps "pop gun" load, that liked to stick bullets in the barrel of anything but my revolver and only worked for me with the specific bullet I was loading.
Old September 1, 2012, 06:14 PM   #9
jmortimer

Then check out Load Data. I've never used Ammo Guide but it looks useful. I have subscribed to Load Data and I like it. Incredible amount of information and much is only available on Load Data from Handloader magazine over the years.
Old September 1, 2012, 07:37 PM   #10
mrawesome22

I have a bunch in .pdf format. Pm me for the details.

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using Tapatalk 2
Old September 1, 2012, 07:44 PM   #11
mrawesome22

Also, there are tools available to run full desktop linux distros on your tablet, then you can use wine to run Quickload.

You could also run WinXP on your tablet, but Win on a Linux kernel would be blasphemy

sudo passwd root
Old September 1, 2012, 09:06 PM   #12
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

I created this thread a while back. It lists all the official online data sources I could find.
Old September 18, 2012, 09:36 AM   #13
mikehaas

Quote:
Posted by FrankenMauser...
If it works for you (and others), that's great. But, I found that quite a few bits of data were "lost in translation" when swiped by members and added to the ammoguide database.

I paid for a 2 year subscription to Ammoguide, back when it was $5/year. But, I gave up. They seemed to be nothing more than a repository for poorly copied data that was swiped from forums, online articles, other databases, and personal web pages...
Very interesting, especially since AmmoGuide has never been available for as low as $5/year (or even close to that price). And we've never offered a 2-year subscription; manual annual renewal has always been required.

Any paid subscriber can add their loads to AmmoGuide. The only data that is required is (1) bullet weight, (2) powder type, (3) powder charge and (4) muzzle velocity BUT any level of detail can be specified (and many add a great deal of detail). And yes, we block loads that we find aren't safe. Over 850 cartridges, over 25,000 loads and tons of online tools that aren't available anywhere else (much of it free) - for about a nickel a day. (For example, what other website allows side-by-side visual case comparisons - TO SCALE - or at all. Ballistic comparisons. Cartridge Identification and Search Tool, ReBarrel/ReChambering Guide... and much more that even the more expensive loaddata.com doesn't offer - they only feature load data.)

This only scratches the surface of AmmoGuide's capabilities but thanks to the forum moderators for the opportunity to correct the erroneous info posted here about my product.

Mike Haas
AmmoGuide.com creator and owner

Last edited by mikehaas; September 18, 2012 at 10:20 AM.
Old September 18, 2012, 11:25 AM   #14
mxjunky78

I downloaded the accurate load data and printed it. Then put them in screen protectors in my 3 ring binder.
Old September 18, 2012, 12:25 PM   #15
FrankenMauser

Quote:
Very interesting, especially since AmmoGuide has never been available for as low as $5/year (or even close to that price). And we've never offered a 2-year subscription; manual annual renewal has always been required.
I never said it was a 2-year subscription. I simply paid for two year's worth of use. One year, plus a renewal.

You are correct. The full price subscription was not $5. I initially signed up during a promotion. It's your business. I'm surprised you don't remember the promotion you ran when you introduced the cartridge creator.

Quote:
Any paid subscriber can add their loads to AmmoGuide. The only data that is required is (1) bullet weight, (2) powder type, (3) powder charge and (4) muzzle velocity BUT any level of detail can be specified (and many add a great deal of detail). And yes, we block loads that we find aren't safe. Over 850 cartridges, over 25,000 loads...
Who, exactly, determines whether a load isn't safe?

My .32 S&W Long load was most definitely not safe in the form it was submitted to the site. Yet, it was still there, with glaring omissions of important data...

When users submit their own data, they usually include useful notes.
But, when they submit data they swiped from other sources, quite a bit seems to be lost in the process.

I freely admit, I haven't used the site for quite some time. It's possible that the loads are vetted better, now. But, I'd like to know exactly what the current process is.
Old September 18, 2012, 01:35 PM   #16
mikehaas

Quote:
Posted by FrankenMauser...
I never said it was a 2-year subscription. I simply paid for two year's worth of use. One year, plus a renewal.

You are correct. The full price subscription was not $5. I initially signed up during a promotion. It's your business. I'm surprised you don't remember the promotion you ran when you introduced the cartridge creator.
Sorry, in your original post (which I quoted), you said exactly... "I paid for a 2 year subscription to Ammoguide". Thanks for the year AND THE RENEWAL.

Yes, I know I'm correct. And it was never $5 under ANY promotion. When the Cartridge Creator was released (about 12 years ago), AmmoGuide was a 100% FREE website and one of my hobbies. It didn't have any reloading data and had little else. It was mostly a "Cartridge Case/Diagram Display Tool", containing about 130 cases and allowed visual comparisons and text histories. The later "Cartridge Creator" allowed website visitors to submit cartridge definitions to me, so I could add their favorite wildcats etc. At the time, I had no intention of expanding AmmoGuide. It was NOT a commercial website by any means, it was my hobby, a free utility that was my gift to the shooting public, for what it was worth. I still use the Cartridge Creator for the same purpose - to allow visitors to submit cartridge definitions to me.

The "Cartridge Creator" is one of the reasons AmmoGuide handles truly unique wildcats like the 12 Gauge From Hell. Your normal reloading resources aren't going to care about many wildcats and obscure, historical rounds but developers and afficianados of such rounds can publish their work at AmmoGuide and their followers can share loads. AmmoGuide is a community reloading website like no other, complete with a forum filled with experienced shooters.

The "new" commercial AmmoGuide.com, complete with load data, was introduced on Feb 13, 2004. The introductory rate was $9.95/year. Sounds like you came on board shortly after that. A lot has been added (like 20,000 loads!) and improved in the 8.5 years hence. BTW, whatever your old rate was, you can renew today at the same rate. In fact, these days, we renew at a discount, so probably even less!

Quote:
Who, exactly, determines whether a load isn't safe?

My .32 S&W Long load was most definitely not safe in the form it was submitted to the site. Yet, it was still there, with glaring omissions of important data...

When users submit their own data, they usually include useful notes.
But, when they submit data they swiped from other sources, quite a bit seems to be lost in the process.

I freely admit, I haven't used the site for quite some time. It's possible that the loads are vetted better, now. But, I'd like to know exactly what the current process is.
Well, Sorry, I'm not going to tell anyone exactly what the process is. Suffice it to say that AmmoGuide owns more than one legal copy of QuickLOAD and employs a team of Load Admins, all experienced reloaders themselves, who can override any load submitter on the site except for yours truly.

If you have questions or concerns about any load data, or anything else for that matter, there has always been a "SUPPORT" link under the "Personal" menu. I don't remember any specific concerns ever being raised about the .32 S&W Long definition or loads and we are very responsive to such issues. Just curious, did you inform us of your concerns before bad-mouthing us on websites? If so, it's unfortunate you couldn't have acted in more of a "community" fashion as we always listen to such input.

You know, no reloading resource should be assumed completely safe. We've seen more than one commercial vendor (both powder and bullet makers manuals, online and printed) adjust their published load data because of safety concerns (and good on them for doing it). We've seen typos result in published data that, if followed, would surely fail catastrophically. You MUST apply common sense when selecting loads, use appropriate starting loads and compare charges with other sources to safely reload, regardless of source.

And one thing is certainly true with online reloading resources - they are easier to fix when wrong. An error in a printed manual is permanent.

Also, online reloading resources can provide interactive tools (if the website owners know how to design their websites) that integrate tightly with their data. For example, at AmmoGuide, you can be viewing detailed load data, then easily pass the load to the Ballistic Calculator to experiment with its trajectory, or pass the cartridge to one of the Comparison tools (visual or ballistic) with a single click.

And because AmmoGuide is online, we provide free updates, new cartridges and load data, even add new features, at no additional cost. Never saw a printed manual that could do that!

Thanks for the opportunity to correct more misinformation and explain a little more about AmmoGuide.

Mike Haas
AmmoGuide.com creator and owner

Last edited by mikehaas; September 18, 2012 at 01:42 PM.
Old September 18, 2012, 05:05 PM   #17
rclark

THORN74,

As much as I like computers (I am a programmer by trade), I have my reloading books on the shelf and a three ring binder for articles and loads that I have found over the years. Enjoy sitting in my easy chair and reading. I'll go on-line and do a search for loads that sound interesting. More often then not someone has already posted using that load (or powder) and has commented on it.

I have a tablet and don't see the 'draw'. But I have it because some customers of our product have shown interest in having a suitable application for it for field work.
A clinger and deplorable, MAGA, and life NRA member. When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. Single Action .45 Colt (Sometimes colloquially referred to by its alias as the .45 'Long' Colt or .45LC). Don't leave home without it. That said, the .44Spec is right up their too... but the .45 Colt is still the king.
Old September 19, 2012, 08:34 AM   #18
mikehaas

Just to "top this off", here's a special promo we're running for the next 5 days for free members. Enjoy access to 2 normally-restricted tools; examples of AG's exclusive capabilities...
http://ammoguide.com/emails/vctcml1209/

You do need to have a FREE AG account, but that's all.

Thanks all,

Mike
Old September 22, 2012, 07:26 PM   #19
mikehaas

Received some great (private) feedback regarding my earlier posts. This is a great forum; I wish I could logon more often.

FYI, I couldn't do what I do without relying on a veritable array of printed reference and loading manuals, not to "swipe" loads from, but primarily to research cartridge information. SAAMI docs, chamber prints, etc. As far as loading books, I use them less now but I've always liked Sierra and Hodgdon manuals in particular. Problem is, most manufacturer manuals are pretty slim on wildcat data.

Ok, here's a new one from Blue Book you guys should know about, a very impressive 4th edition work by our friend Michael Bussard...
http://ammoguide.com/emails/agnews1209/#no4
The full-color foldouts are great. I think this book would quickly become one of any reloaders favorites.

(BTW, I receive no financial renumeration from those guys, it's just a good book.)

Folks, a new medium for load data has emerged with Algore's internet (and we think we are the leading and bleeding edge). Today's shooter does themselves a misservice if they don't check out online reloading, both AmmoGuide and other websites. (IMO, the more you look, the more you'll end up part of the AG community. :-)

I started reloading in the 60's at 14 years of age. I tell you, this is an incredible time to be a reloader.

Mike