The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting > Bullet Casting

Old May 18, 2011, 09:01 PM   #1
maillemaker

shimming molds?

I remember a thread not too long ago about "bucking" the mold or some such where you could shim it to make slightly larger bullets. How does one do this without lead "fins" forming on the bullet?

Steve
Old May 18, 2011, 10:00 PM   #2
maillemaker

found it:

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=443778

It was "beagling", not "bucking".

Steve
Old May 20, 2011, 11:12 AM   #3
hornetguy

personally, I've never understood how that would improve a boolit.
It seems that it would just make it larger in "one direction" if you will. Can we say "out of round"?

I thought that "beagling" a mold was the same as lapping one, by casting a boolit in that mold, then attaching the boolit to a drill, coating it with a mild abrasive, then slowly spinning it in the almost completely closed mold cavity.
I would think that, done carefully, this would gently enlarge the whole cavity, instead of just putting some thin shim between the mold halves.
Old May 20, 2011, 05:56 PM   #4
maillemaker

Yes, it does result in an out-of-round bullet. My hope is that after pushing it through a sizer it will squeeze it back into round while maintaining a slightly larger size.

Steve
Old May 21, 2011, 04:01 PM   #5
GP100man

I worry more `bout OUT-OF-BALANCE then out of round !!

When beagled it adds to each side true , but it`s still balanced !!!

If ya can chamber em with out sizing the throat & forcing cone will make it round , I promise
Old May 23, 2011, 08:06 AM   #6
sundog

GP100man, a couple of thoughts. 2-bladed prop or rotor. Veral Smith addresses 'lop sided' bullets in his book. I do not necessarily agree with everything Veral touts, but if anything spinning is balanced, well, it's balanced. But here's another thought. The barrel is also a swaging device. Most often we load a bullet of larger diameter than groove. I'm currently working on a batch of bullets that are beagled base only to add a bit of girth to the drive bands. GC fits snugger, but still goes on easily. I can now pass the bullet through a size die .001 larger than before, and it comes out round with the GC the same diameter as the drive bands which a barely kissed by the die. They shoot extremely well. So, if you are going to do 'lop sided' bullets, they need to be symetrical. Sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn't.
Old May 23, 2011, 10:15 PM   #7
TXGunNut

I think "oblong" is a more accurate term than "lopsided". Former might just work, latter sounds like it would be out of balance.
My favorite recipes start out with a handful of used wheelweights.
Old May 24, 2011, 04:01 PM   #8
res45

Try shooting a cast bullet out of a two groove 303 British if you want an oblong bullet. Depending on the rifles bore you start out with say a .316 dia. bullet to fill the two small grooves and 3/4 of the bullet gets swaged down to fit the two larger .310 lands. Talk about a flat bullet,what amazing is that it still shoots very accurately.

I've Beagled a couple different mold in the past and it's worked fine.
Old May 25, 2011, 08:59 AM   #9
maillemaker

I'm working on finding a good sized "minie" for my P1853 Enfield. The barrel seems to be about .585 in diameter. It's 3-groove so it's hard to measure.
Old May 25, 2011, 01:48 PM   #10
res45

If you have a slug from the bore any good machine shop will have a micrometer that can measure that.

You can do it yourself also by wrapping a know thickness of brass shim stock around the slug and take your measurement with your standard calipers or micrometer from the measurement you get subtract the thickness of the stock times 2 and you have the dia.

It comes in handy when your measuring those five grooves S & W handgun slugs.