The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old November 26, 2005, 05:01 PM   #1
saands

Low cost alternative to the Surefire ...

I was at Sam's Club yesterday and a saw a 2-pack of "Cyclops" Xenon flashlights (claiming 70 lumens of output) with 2 pairs of lithium batteries for just over $20. Since I knew that they would take them back if I didn't like them, I thought "What the heck?" and bought them.

Let me start by saying that if something goes bump in the night, I will still be picking up a Surefire. That being said, I'm VERY happy with these. They have a pushbutton switch that goes on in momentary mode a long ways before it clicks into continuous mode. I believe their claims of 70 lumens as they seem every bit as bright as my SureFire 6Z although the 6Z keeps the beam a little tighter. The Cyclops lights are about 1/4 inch shorter than the 6Z and slightly slimmer, but fit nicely the hand. Due to the fact that I always want the 6Z to light if I need it, I make a habit of not using it for more mundane lighting tasks and I really like that I now have two more of them around that I can use whenever I want and I won't have to suffer that questioning look from the wife when I'm looking frantically for a "utility" flashlight and the SureFire is right there on the nightstand.

Anyway, these little guys look well made and for just pennies more than $10 a piece, I feel great about leaving one in the console of the truck.

Saands
Old November 26, 2005, 10:28 PM   #2
stratus

Surefire GOOOOOOOD! Knock-off BAAAAAAAAD!
Old November 27, 2005, 09:04 AM   #3
clt46910

My neighbor got one at Walmart a couple years ago to use on her forklift to help her in finding things in a dark warehouse. I believe it was around twenty bucks also. It seemed to work our for her. I also noticed the spot wasn't as tight as my surefire but was as bright. Only bad thing was she kept borrowing my batteries. I seemed to go though a lot of batteries that year. She is a exgirlfirend, hard to tell her No...