The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old January 31, 2010, 11:01 AM   #1
LordofWar

Followup shots

I recently found some .375 SIG ammo (a rare commodity here) and couldnt land accurate followups from my Glock due to to the snappy recoil.

Whats the best technique to offset/reduce muzzle snap and land follow up shots?
Old January 31, 2010, 11:58 AM   #2
WC145

.375 Sig IS hard to find. Impossible around here. As to the recoil, I think you should go with a light caliber.
Old January 31, 2010, 12:09 PM   #3
troy_mclure

The snappy recoil, and difficulty of making a good followup shot is one of the main reasons i dumped the .357sig barrel for my xd.
There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time."
Old January 31, 2010, 01:32 PM   #4
Jedburgh

.357 Sig is a tough cartidge, but in a Glock format it can be even more difficult.

The pistol has all its weight high on the gun (the slide) with a very low weight polymer frame. From a mechanical physics perspective, the weapon will have the tendency to "rotate" in your hand.

To counter the natural tendency of the muzzle to rise, slide your grip up on the backstrap and put as much meat as high as possible. You may even adjust your support hand as well to better help mitigate this tendency. Consider applying more push/pull on the grip (a la weaver-style) than you would with a more neutral iso-grip. On a really hot pistol, I'll sometimes lock my strong arm forward in the "push" and pull hard with my support arm.

Good luck man.

DOL
Old January 31, 2010, 01:54 PM   #5
troy_mclure

You could also send your slide/barrel off to be ported.
There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time."
Old February 1, 2010, 12:46 PM   #6
LordofWar

I'm pretty accurate with the Push/Pull technique even on full auto Glocks but .357 SIG seems to be monster. If I'm putting the first shot in the 10 the followup lands somewhere 5 or 6.

Any other tips besides the push/pull that you think might come in handy.

Wts the recoil of .357 SIG like in Sig Sauer Pistols?
Old February 1, 2010, 03:13 PM   #7
Jedburgh

When you say the second shot is 5 or 6 do you mean the 5 ring, or 5 o'clock?

DOL

The only failure in training is the failure to train.
Old February 1, 2010, 03:25 PM   #8
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Interesting opinions on the 357sig recoil.

I find that the recoil in my G33 is the second lowest of the calibers available in a Glock (9mm, 357sig, 40SW, 45acp, 45GAP, 10mm). I have fired 9mm, 40SW and 45acp in Glock firearms. I rate the 357sig as more than 9, less than 40 and considerably less than 45. All were "standard" ammo.
Old February 1, 2010, 06:54 PM   #9
troy_mclure

Its not so much recoil as muzzle flip.
Old February 1, 2010, 07:49 PM   #10
LordofWar

Jedburgh, 5th ring.

peetzakilla, Ive kind of mixed up recoil & muzzle flip in my posts. My problem is with muzzle flip. I think its perhaps I shooting a .375SIG for the first time and maybe I'll get accustomed to it after some regular shooting with the calibre.

If the snappy flip is a typical trait of this calibre I really dont see the reason for the same being used for SD/HD. With all that inherent penetration capability this is one calibre you'd want to shoot accurately.
Old February 1, 2010, 08:00 PM   #11
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
peetzakilla, Ive kind of mixed up recoil & muzzle flip in my posts.
I might be the only one, but I personally don't particularly distinguish between "muzzle flip" and "recoil". Regardless, the 40SW Glocks that I've used were all harder to keep on and/or return to target than my G33. Whether it be "recoil" or "flip" I can not say, but I find my 357Sig to be more controllable than either 40 or 45 in similar platforms.
Old February 6, 2010, 02:55 AM   #12
grumpycoconut

Recoil control

Everyone above who has given grip and stance advice is on the right track. You might also experiment with canting the pistol 5 or 15 degrees off vertical. No, not gangster style just enough to let your wrist and forearm bones and muscles line up in their strongest configuration.

You might also try widening and deepening your stance and breaking your upper torso a bit forward at the waist. Most poor recoil control I've seen started at the feet and worked it's way upward to the hands and head.
"To spit on your hands and lower the pike; to stand fast over the body of Leonidas the King; to be rear guard at Kunu-Ri; to stand and be still to the Birkenhead Drill; these are not rational acts. They are often merely necessary." Pournelle
Old February 6, 2010, 07:37 AM   #13
N.H. Yankee

As a reloader I have found different powders with various burn rates can have an effect on recoil/muzzle flip. Bullet weight also has an effect, usually the lighter the bullet the less recoil using equivalent loads such as minimum or maximum in the same caliber.

Many factors such as bore axis, slide weight, barrel length, gun weight, how you hold the gun etc, as well as ones shooting experience. Some that are heavy magnum shooters tend to be recoil junkies, and it doesn't seem to throw them off as much.

I owned a 357 Sig in a P229 and while it was stout it didn't rock my boat, I just didn't like the 357 sig from a reloaders standpoint with the short case neck and possibility of bullet setback.
Old February 6, 2010, 02:21 PM   #14
Blue Steel

Shoot slower.

What I mean is if your first shot is in the 10-ring, then you know how to establish sight picture and press the trigger. For the followup shot, wait until you have established a good sight picture and press the trigger again. As you shoot more your recovery time from the recoil impulse should improve.

If you don't feel confident in your grip then work on that. IMHO you should have a firm but not choking grip with the web of your hand as high in the backstrap as possible. The support hand should be pointing the thumb with the hand dipped forward from the wrist, kinda like the position you would put your hand in for a handshake. The pad of the support hand rests against the grip of the gun, while the fingers cover the fingers of the gun hand, also in a firm but not choking grip. If you try to squeeze the magazine out of the bottom of the gun with a deathgrip you will only increase tremors and make your hand tired.

Some people find that skateboard tape applied to the grip panels of the Glock pistol increase control as well.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.
Old February 6, 2010, 07:43 PM   #15
LordofWar

So I'm out of ammo. Only kept one round as a souvenir. So I'll delay taming of the .357 SIG.