The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old September 30, 2013, 07:52 PM   #1
ThomasT

Ruger American In 223?

I have read all the threads and post on the Ruger American rifle and while I don't really like plastic stocked rifles the range reports have had me taking notice. Now I realize that all these guns have bolt faces for the .473 diameter rim of the 30-06 family but it seems like it would be a simple matter to make these guns chambered for the 223 round. Does anyone know why this caliber isn't offered?

I was surprised when they offered a rimfire version. A nice, lightweight, accurate varmint gun would be appreciated.

And before anyone suggest it I have no interest in savage rifles.
Old October 2, 2013, 01:20 AM   #2
Storm27m

I asked the same question to Mossberg and they had no plans for a 223 version of their ATR either. Only thing I can think of is cost...just one bolt instead of two. Marlin X7, Ruger American, Mossberg ATR...none have 223 in the lineup anymore.

Have you looked into Savage?
Old October 2, 2013, 06:44 AM   #3
Revoltella

I have a Weatherby Vanguard Series 2 in .223, and it's a tack driver. Guaranteed to shoot sub-MOA right out of the box. Best value in a $500 rifle.
Depending on which model you get, they come in either 1:12 or 1:14 twist. The standard Synthetic is 1:12.
Old October 2, 2013, 08:22 AM   #4
jmr40

Right now anyone wanting a 223 is buying an AR. While there are a few folks wanting a bolt rifle in 223, there are not enough to justify building them. Ruger is not the only company not offering their bolt rifles in 223, and the ones listing them in their catalogs are not making many.
Old October 2, 2013, 09:05 AM   #5
Strafer Gott

I went with the Mossberg Predator for my .223 bolt gun. It feeds great out of any G.I. magazine. I must say that it is the only one I've seen. It has a wood stock and a fluted bbl., so it's pretty cool for cruising the mesa. Wood is a little heavier, but it feels good on the hand.
Old October 2, 2013, 09:47 AM   #6
ThomasT

Thanks for the replies. I thought a ruger might be a little lighter in weight than most other choices. I like the Weatherby idea. Actually I like the Howa ranchland that is the same rifle with a shorter barrel. But I have never seen one in stock. I have missed a couple on GB that I got outbid on.

I have an AR. I don't really like it. I like my mini-14 much better. I have the newer 580 series with the tapered barrel. It shoots better than most people think it will.

I also have an H&R Handi in 223 and that sucker will shoot. I just want a light weight little bolt gun. I had an interarms MK X mini mauser many years ago and stupidly sold it. Oh well.

Storm27m I had a savage bolt in 223. It was ok after I spent $140 to replace the piece of crap stock it came with. Savages just don't appeal to me.
Old October 2, 2013, 08:31 PM   #7
steveNChunter

It may be wishful thinking but I'd say the RAR line will continue to grow over the next few years. For now a .22-250 is as close as you can get. If they are going to add the smaller bolt face to the lineup, .204 ruger would be another good addition. Maybe a compact model in .300 BLK
Old October 3, 2013, 02:55 PM   #8
ThomasT

Yes I saw the 22-250 but I am set up for 223 with lots of ammo and componants. Plus my 243 will do everything a 22-250 will do plus a lot more.

My mistake was I should have bought the MKII ultralight in 223 when they were available.
Old October 4, 2013, 09:10 AM   #9
Dirty_Harry

My Ruger American is one of my favorite rifles. (.308) Shoots so nice, feels nice and I dont have much into it.

I would love for them to make a .223 version! I would snap it up in a heartbeat. It would make one heck of a nice target rifle.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." -John Wayne
Old October 4, 2013, 07:51 PM   #10
ThomasT

Quote:
I would snap it up in a heartbeat.
I think a lot of people would snap them up. I see a 100 30-06s and 270s for every 223 bolt gun at the gunshows. With the reputation ruger is getting with the american rifle I bet they would sell a truck load of them. Plus they are priced in the range everyone should be able to afford one.
Old January 3, 2014, 11:58 PM   #11
Miata Mike

They just sent me an email stating that the .223 version is now available in standard size and compact.
Old January 4, 2014, 05:37 AM   #12
upstate81

On the Ruger web page it does show they will be available feb. 2014. You can also get them with a redfield revolution scope package deal. Savage trophy hunter look out!
Old January 4, 2014, 08:31 AM   #13
Mobuck

factory email says they'll be available in standard and compact(223 & 22/250)
Old January 4, 2014, 12:11 PM   #14
SteelChickenShooter

Model number 6913, just saw it at the Ruger web page
Old February 8, 2014, 01:11 AM   #15
Eric M.

Just picked one up at my local gun shop.
They put it on the shelf yesterday, and before the guy got back to his seat, I had it in my hands.
I won't be able to shoot it until it gets better than 20 below here in Minnesota, but the bolt is really smooth.
Best that I could adjust the trigger to is 4# but it has a nice crisp trigger pull with no travel. I expect that the trigger pull will smooth down to close to 3# after shooting it some.
I have read the range reports saying that it shoots sub half inch groups at 100 yards.
That is what I hope to get after testing and settling on a good reload for it.
This should be a fun gun to play with at the range.

Eric
DNR Certified Firearms Safety Instructor 37 yrs
Old February 8, 2014, 11:09 PM   #16
ThomasT

Yep I want one. I have read some reports that they have had feeding issues from the mag.

In my case I guess it doesn't matter. The wife has been diagnosed with breast cancer and should be going to surgery in the next week or so. She may have to have chemo and for sure a double masectomy. I don't mind telling you I am wrecked about this. I don't see any new guns in the near future and may have to sell some off.

At least they have high hopes for a full recovery and the wife is in good spirits and just wants to get it over with. She has a very positive attitude. I am trying to have one too so I can support her.

But any range reports you have would be appreciated.
Old February 8, 2014, 11:24 PM   #17
BingoFuel

I recently purchased a Tikka T3 Lite in .223 which is a real joy. The Tikka works well for me because they sell in in left-hand format as well as right. But either hand, the Tikka seems to many to provide among the best accuracy and best action/bolt feel in the biz.
I bought the basic model with the synthetic stock and it rained on me first time I had it out so it worked out.
B
Old February 8, 2014, 11:45 PM   #18
Dragline45

Sorry to hear that ratshooter and best of luck to your wife. My aunt had a double mastectomy 5 years ago and has been cancer free ever since. These days it is very treatable, and with the doctors saying they expect a full recovery there's no reason not to share your wife's optimism. God bless.
Old February 9, 2014, 01:27 AM   #19
Eric M.

Prayers heading your way Ratshooter.
My Wife had the same thing.
Was diagnosed two years ago.
Had one breast removed, full round of chemo and radiation and is now cancer free.
Many Prayers, a great attitude and fantastic Doctors got her through it in great shape.

As for my new American .223, I shot it today.
I shot at our indoor range, and as much as I can tell at only 25 yards, it should be a tack driver.
Well handling gun, and the trigger is crisp with no creep.
Only problem with what was posted.
The mag holds four rounds and feeds great, until I got to the final round.
That is where the trouble is. The carrier doesn't feed it into the chamber properly and causes a hang up. What happens is that the back of the shell casing drops down too low causing the bullet half to hang up high.

I see on the High Road Forums that a guy had the same problem, called Ruger, and they said that they will ship a new mag out to him. Sounds like Ruger is aware of this problem and has an easy fix for it.

I'll give Ruger a call on Monday and have a new one shipped to me.
This will be no problem for me as I intend to put some heavy gear on tomorrow and take it to my gun club and see what it will do at longer ranges. [Supposed to be -25 tonight]
Should be fun.

I'll keep you guys posted on how it shoots.

Eric
Old February 9, 2014, 10:10 AM   #20
ThomasT

Thanks guys. I even had one poster here offer to let us stay at his house and feed us if we ended up down in Houston at M.D. Anderson. Some of the folks on these gun forums are just down right awsome.
Old February 9, 2014, 06:56 PM   #21
pathdoc

The Australian market, which doesn't have access to ARs for less than happy reasons, would be a rich one.
Old February 16, 2014, 11:42 PM   #22
Eric M.

Called Ruger last Monday and received my new magazine on Saturday. Can't ask for better service than that.
I took it to the range on Thursday. Using American Eagle 55 grain bullets at 100 yards, I shot 1 1/2" groups. However, shooting American Eagle 50 grain Tipped Varment bullets a nickel would cover the groups that I shot.
I was really impressed with this rifle.

Eric