The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old November 4, 2012, 03:11 PM   #1
Nero45

Systema Colt Model 1927 vs 2 Springfields

Ok, I'm trying to decide between 3 1911s: the Systema Colt Model 1927, Blued Springfield 1911 Loaded with night sights, and Springfield Operator MC. There are a few things that are hanging me up: price, reliability, and accuracy. Granted the Systema is going to be is going to be the cheapest and the Operator will be the most expensive but really is it worth it? Which would I enjoy the most, hold up, and keep a good value? Thank you.
Old November 4, 2012, 04:01 PM   #2
Japle

The Sistema will have crappy old-style military sights, a small safety and 1911 grip safety. It'll take a lot of work and money to get it up to modern standards.

I don't advise going that route. I've done it, but I've been customizing 1911s for over 40 years. If you have to pay someone else to do the work, it's going to cost you.
Old November 5, 2012, 05:24 AM   #3
C5rider

A friend of mine got a great price on a Sistema. VERY cool gun and the history makes it cool to me. But the trigger is BAD. Fun to shoot, just not very fun to try and be accurate with it. If you want history, the Sistema has it. If you're looking for a shooter, I'd go with the Springer. My .02.
Old November 5, 2012, 05:58 AM   #4
Baba Louie

Ya gotta ask yourself...

Quote:
Granted the Systema is going to be is going to be the cheapest and the Operator will be the most expensive but really is it worth it? Which would I enjoy the most, hold up, and keep a good value?
Would you ever want or need a factory Warranty and/or customer service? How good are you at fixing or working on 1911s not covered by warranty? How old are your eyes? Will you ever carry or is this a range gun and/or nightstand home defense piece? Do you shoot at night a lot?

The Sistema has some Gaucho history to it, be it military or police issue. It has BTDT and may be tired and worn... or it might not be. It may be an early model with spot heat treatment or a later model with better treatment. Was it refinished at any time in its life? Loose or tight fitting of barrel @ bushing or barrel/hood at rear? Numbers match?

Loaded w/ night sights and dark (blue or park'd?) finish. Probably, more than likely, a fine shooting handgun, factory will fix anything (to a point, but SAIs customer service is second to none... borderline legendary) no way can you go wrong here generally speaking.

Operator. If you head in harms way or need a light attached for target identification, for home defense or night time practice shooting... well, duh! This one for sure.

Which would you enjoy? All 3 I'm sure. Maintain a good Value? All 3 will drop a little value as you walk out the door with it. Down the road, I would expect the Sistema and Operator to hold best value, but that depends. They aren't making any more Sistemas, are they? Railed guns are hot now I gather, as the USMC is heading that way for a few good men (and women perhaps) via Colt's Rail gun system. But this too, might pass.

So it is... Ya gotta ask yourself... what is it I want/need this thing to do? Answer that, ponder the above questions, check your wallet again and buy all three???
A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington, January 8, 1790, First State of the Union Address
Old November 5, 2012, 08:00 AM   #5
cecILL

The Sistema, if it's in any kind of shape.
Easy guns to work on.
Not making them any more.
You can hold some history. (I know, kinda corny)
Will always be able to find the Springfields.
Old November 5, 2012, 08:34 AM   #6
AK103K

Having had a lot of bad luck with the last half dozen or so Springfields I had (you wont notice my displeasure about it in what follows in the least ), Id go with the Systema, assuming it was in reasonable shape.

The Systemas are basically Argentine Colts, built under license and under the supervision of Colt engineers.

The Springfields are just "Springfields" interpretation of the 1911, and except for some of their early 80's guns, probably nothing close to "spec". Ive had a couple where the frames were so out of spec that they didnt even feel like a 1911 in my hands. Some models do have the supposedly "needed" bells and whistles, but I always found the guns closest to Colt specs to work and run the best.

The Systema was built to run on ball, so your likely going to have to have a throat and polish/reliability package done on it to get it to reliably feed things other than ball ammo. That and a set of larger sights, if you need them, are really all you should need.

If you do decide to go with Springfield, I HIGHLY suggest you look very closely at the gun before you buy it. Closely look at the quality of the work, rack the slide, check out the trigger, take it apart and look closely at it. If youre lucky, it "might" work reliably out of the box. Plan on spending the time and money to "break it in", something "you" shouldnt have to do, and dont be surprised if you need it send it back to them to get something fixed.

People love to point out they have such a great warranty/customer service department, but as much as they get used, they should be (dont be surprised if they lie to you when you call though). What they need to work on is, engineering and QC.
Old November 5, 2012, 09:45 AM   #7
psyfly

"...The Sistema will have ... old-style military sights, a small safety and 1911 grip safety..."

Except for the one word I left out, I can't disagree with the above.

However...

With the old-style military sights, and even with my old eyes, I can still (not every time, but often) make a single 5-round hole at 25 yards with my Sistema.

I really like both the small safety and the 1911 grip safety.

The trigger is fantastic and has almost certainly been worked on once or twice in the past 65 years.

I've owned and still owned springfields that are great (never had hold of either an Operator MC or Loaded model but would like to). You aren't likely to be disappointed in either.

My Sistema, however, is the last pistol I would let leave my hands. My younger son will get it one day.

It is said, with some accuracy, that an older gun requires that you have a certain amount of luck to get a good one.

I've been lucky.

I'd get the Sistema.

Best,

Will

Last edited by psyfly; November 5, 2012 at 09:51 AM.
Old November 5, 2012, 10:16 AM   #8
Sarge

My experience with Springfield 1911s pretty much parallels that of AK103K's.
Old November 5, 2012, 10:25 AM   #9
drail

I would strongly suggest doing a DETAILED inspection of any 1927 you are considering buying. While they were very well made guns many that I have seen were subjected to very rough treatment by the State Armories over the years. Many were stored on racks using a long steel rod up the barrel and the breechface may have serious damage from the steel rod slamming into it repeatedly for years. One customer brought a 1927 into our shop and the breechface was so badly damaged we had to replace the slide. But if you find one in good shape they are very good 1911s. Look before you buy.
Old November 5, 2012, 10:35 AM   #10
Baba Louie

Here's a photo of my 2 Sistemas (not Colts from original 1927 run but post war FMAPs) obviously refurbed sometime before they came into my hands. "Full House" is a shooter, "Dos Pair", not so much.

A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington, January 8, 1790, First State of the Union Address
Old November 5, 2012, 01:44 PM   #11
Japle

If you buy a Sistema, make sure the serial number on the frame, slide and barrel all match. Of the three I own, one of them had a barrel with the right digits, but in the wrong order. It wouldn't group on an SUV at 50 feet.
Old November 5, 2012, 04:36 PM   #12
Pilot

I'd take the Sistema Colt.
Old November 5, 2012, 06:40 PM   #13
WVsig

Sistema.... if the price is right and the condition is good.